City photography -- just dull?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Just returned from a weekend in Paris and I have to say that I'm very dissappointed with the photos I took.

Nothing wrong with them technically just all very dull and boring. The only good ones are when I taken ones of people etc. It's the building ones that bore the pants off me.

Now, am I missing something fundamental or is it that building are just boring?

:)

Went to eastern Europe with some mates a couple of weeks back. Went through my pictures when I got back and the amount of "looking upwards at the top of a building with the sky as background" style photos was severely annoying.

Taking pics of buildings seems to be tricky and random, to say the least.

That's exactly the type of photos I've got, interspersed with occasional 'view' type ones.

I guess there's just a lot less interesting things going on when just photoing a building.

The thing to do is ask yourself what's interesting about the building. After all, something must have made you stop and take a picture. Once you decide what it is, try to concentrate on that thing in the photo and make that one aspect stand out any way you can.

It's easier said than done though. I asked myself that question and found that most times my answer was "because it looks cool".

Back