Civic Plymouth

Brings back memories from somebody born in Plymouth. I didn't realise it was empty, what building do they use now?

Surprising, the flag is clean. Very cool!

Thanks, I envy you living in a beautiful part of the country. I didn't appreciate it until I left. I particularly enjoy your pictures of Dartmoor.

Darn, Urban Splash are not a force for good? They're pretty active in destroying Manchester's architectural heritage too.
The usual tactics are buy a building, let it rot for 10 years & then get a pat on the back from the council for re-developing it & making a shotload of money

Darn, Urban Splash are not a force for good? They're pretty active in destroying Manchester's architectural heritage too.
The usual tactics are buy a building, let it rot for 10 years & then get a pat on the back from the council for re-developing it & making a shotload of money
They've just p******d a lot of people off here - except the council by getting permission to turn an old green space reservoir into a car park for their Royal William Yard, Mellville Building development. :punch: Oh they bought the Civic Centre for a quid. :banghead:

They've just p******d a lot of people off here - except the council by getting permission to turn an old green space reservoir into a car park for their Royal William Yard, Mellville Building development. :punch: Oh they bought the Civic Centre for a quid. :banghead:

And peole think it is only the conservatives who are corrupt...it is endemic and local authorities are the worst for it. Planning insider dealing is just the start of it - waste contracts all sorts of 'scratching backs'. If you want to make money, get in with local councillors.

I remember the civic centre being built. There was a hue and cry over it. At least they have now finished the Central Park swimming pool complex. The pool was just stage 1, stage 2 and 3 were canned because it was meant to be Olympic size, some twit forget the thickness of the tiles and grout, so when it was ready to be filled it was something like !/2" short of the correct size......so the diving pool and nursery pool were canned.

As for the Devil's Point reservoir and the house on th ehill. I was trying to buy the house. Now I know why I couldn't get anywhere with finding out about who to contact, it was already a done deal. The William Yard, or the Royal Victualling Yard as was known was also part of the Commando barracks on Durnford street, they kept landing craft and rigid raiders in the basin. It was still operational when I was in the CCF at school - and I remember the RAF still be active at Mountbatten too - I can just remember the Sunderlands, but the RAF Air Sea Rescue launches were all moored up through the Cattewater and were out regularly. We lived up at Greenbank and we could hear them from there!

Last edited:
And peole think it is only the conservatives who are corrupt...it is endemic and local authorities are the worst for it. Planning insider dealing is just the start of it - waste contracts all sorts of 'scratching backs'. If you want to make money, get in with local councillors.

It is a tory council, albeit being propped up by a couple of UKippers.

Back