Civil Aircraft-Skiathos

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I took these on our recent holiday in Skiathos..Greek island.

Airbus A321
21liogj.jpg

Airberlin A320
307pvvc.jpg

A320
2lqmwo.jpg

Boeing 757-200
zjjvpf.jpg

A319
168zxnm.jpg

obw3.jpg

Airberlin A320
2ewle7l.jpg

Boeing 757-200 above German cruise ship 'Europa 2'
nzrij4.jpg

Like them all especially the 3rd one , great set you got there (y)

Thanks all. I got lucky with the ship. I went up a hill opposite the town,it was a really steep incline too and I had to stand in the heat of the day ,no shade..it was 35C (94F in old money) but a case of needs must. There are only two days when there are a fair few flights so I had to return three times to get the shots I wanted..especially the one with the planes over that round white building which infact is the Mylos restaurant (the old windmill) and I took photo seven from there..as you see people sit there having a meal/drink watching incoming planes. I thought where I was would have been above the planes but at best I was level,they dropped a bit further along but they were pretty well at the airport where I was.

Infact here's an A321 turning to take off so you can see the height I was at. The end of the runway is a tourist attraction so the police don't bother getting up there,there are warning notices but it doesn't stop the foolhardy from holding on to the road barrier by the fence as the planes stand there winding up the engines for take off.99% of the time they take off from that end due to the permanent(almost) north wind.. The other photo shows just how low they are over the roadway before touchdown. Some may know that the other airport like this,with people getting blasted, is St. Martens in the Caribbean but it's worse there as large planes can land there..747's. There are some hairy Youtube clips about it..and here in Skiathos too but at Skiathos the largest plane is the Boeing 757.

30kxe2h.jpg

15pmuc7.jpg

Sod living there!!

some lovely images in a great location

Cheers,Chris. We may return next year..we've done a 10-day and this time two weeks so maybe a short break next time. Just after we left a pretty violent storm hit.I usually like to photograph them but the streets became a river and dislodged cars so maybe a good miss..my wife wouldn't have appreciated it so much..lol

It does look bad though. https://skopelosnews.wordpress.com/2015/09/23/storm-update/

Great shots, been going to Skiathos for the last four years, always pay a visit to the airport. These are totally deferent perspective from the normal shots, very good. Really like no 7, good food there [emoji3]

Great shots, been going to Skiathos for the last four years, always pay a visit to the airport. These are totally deferent perspective from the normal shots, very good. Really like no 7, good food there [emoji3]

Thanks,Tim.

On your next visit go to the T-junction by the end of the start of the runway...turn right,go past the boats and that cargo ship ,the lake is on on your left,couple of Little Egrets live there, make a right turn following the sign for a hotel ..Punta,I think plus another one..anyway up the very steep road, round through the S bend and on up. On your right is a safety wire fence and at one point there is a gap..the fruit trees have a 'channel' down the hillside and it's opposite the Mylos restaurant as you see in two of the photos..the round white old windmill..if you want a shot with it in don't track the plane from the left..focus above Mylos and fire off as the plane goes through you line of sight. I missed the restaurant first time by starting shoot as son as I heard the plane about to pass large tree on left blocking view to left..out to sea. Then for the other shots..plane over the ship...go on further up to a sharp..90degree bend..there's the view out to sea and the Old town .

Also, we found a superb restaurant in town by the town hall.. Sakis.. A tall thin man,capt. Bird's Eye beard..lol stands outside encouraging tourists in..he has realatives in Leicester.,good english. Huge portions, home-made chips..we had sword fish, my wife had another fish..squid,I think..both huge,salad, plus a Greek salad..starter..chips water..28 Euros. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau..._Taverna-Skiathos_Town_Skiathos_Sporades.html

Yes, I hear the food at the Mylos is good.

Last edited:
Thanks for that John. I will try those places next year we've booked for July. Had a quad bike last year, gets you to lots of places.

Thanks for that John. I will try those places next year we've booked for July. Had a quad bike last year, gets you to lots of places.

Good idea but for goodness don't end up with it being blasted into the sea..lol....I saw this happen too. Also an elderley gent with a walking stick was blown over and he was down the rosd about 75 metres but in line with the 757 . He left a small pool of blood on the roadway.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lsD6__syP78

Try photographing near the airport in Crete (Heraklion) and you can end up in a lot of trouble -prison and fines, maybe because it shares the runway with the military?

Smashing set, some interesting angles there. Thanks for posting them! I really like No. 3

Back