Clarity needed - shooting star?

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

So I decided to jump out back and take a couple of photos of the stars. When doing post-editing I noticed what looked like a shooting star but I cannot say for sure if it is or not. Anyone here able to shed a light on this? (pardon the pun!)

Please forgive the editing quality, I'm still learning lightroom :)

Attachments

• IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 79
I think that we have the "Lyrids" displaying throughout this week, main activity tonight I'm led to believe.

It might be a satellite catching the light through your (long?) exposure.

When doing post-editing I noticed what looked like a shooting star but I cannot say for sure if it is or not.

Am I missing something? I'm just viewing on my small laptop screen which isn't that great but I can't see anything that might be meteors or satellites. I can see dark lines that are wires going to houses, but that's it. Where am I supposed to be looking?

Am I missing something? I'm just viewing on my small laptop screen which isn't that great but I can't see anything that might be meteors or satellites. I can see dark lines that are wires going to houses, but that's it. Where am I supposed to be looking?

roughly horizontal streak above the RH roof apex.

roughly horizontal streak above the RH roof apex.

In just one of the images. Yes, got it now thanks. It was just very hard to see on this screen (that's why I use the desktop for imaging stuff.........).
Looks like a meteor trail to me. There is a shower (the Lyrids) around at the mo as folks have said. There are also 'sporadic' meteors around on just about any night that are not connected with showers (which are usually when the Earth passes through the debris stream of a comet). It's not unusual at all to pick one up on a long exposure night sky image. Satellites usually leave a brighter, longer trail because they move more slowly, but the trail also looks different.

Hi folks,

So I decided to jump out back and take a couple of photos of the stars. When doing post-editing I noticed what looked like a shooting star but I cannot say for sure if it is or not. Anyone here able to shed a light on this? (pardon the pun!)

Very difficult to tell from your low resolution images, but from what can be seen my money would be on a satellite as it appears to be far too slow for a meteor.
If you zoom in on your original images it should be clearer as the light patterns in general are quite different for both.
A meteor is generally only visible for a very short period of time, a fraction of a second, whereas a satellite would be visible for the duration of the exposure. On your image the light trail appears to be a uniform width along it's length, which would indicate a slower moving object, i.e. a satellite, or even possibly an aircraft. A meteor normally shows a brighter centre with the light trail tapering off towards the ends.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the responses. Any recommendations on improving resolution for this in future?
I’m in a city, using an F2.8 14mm lens and have access to lightroom for editing.

The SpaceX Starlink satellites have been overhead the past few nights too, a stream of satellites in a mostly straight line one after the other. Last night was around 10-10:30ish, and tonight was 9:30-10:00ish :)

I stayed out tonight to see if I could see any of the lyrid meteors and noticed a number of other satellites too which may or may not be other starlink ones as there are different streams of them floating about!

edit: just re read the thread and noticed kendo mentioned the SpaceX ones before I did!

Last edited:
Back