CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Is that a "G" plate that it's on (similar to a "Q")

No, it is simply an older vehicle predating the current ones. When/if you see this format ABC123A that is even older ;)

PS the available details say the odd Nissan was registered in 1992

No, it is simply an older vehicle predating the current ones. When/if you see this format ABC123A that is even older ;)

PS the available details say the odd Nissan was registered in 1992

I'm aware of number plate formats relative to their age, but for some reason I had it in my head that "G" plates were similar to those prefixed with a "Q". But I think I recall this "G thing" now as something to do with amateur radio callsigns, which used to start with a G, so all the hams wanted a G plate (I never could find G6URJ, although my mate did have G4 HKS at one point).

I'm aware of number plate formats relative to their age, but for some reason I had it in my head that "G" plates were similar to those prefixed with a "Q". But I think I recall this "G thing" now as something to do with amateur radio callsigns, which used to start with a G, so all the hams wanted a G plate (I never could find G6URJ, although my mate did have G4 HKS at one point).

Crumbs, a blast from the past! I never did get my amateur license mainly down to that Morse code defeated me :( but I was for years doing SWL :). Somewhere I still have a bunch of SQL cards from places around the world.

So in regard to "G" the G as I recall means Great Britain registration but I think I recall reading that G followed one a particular number digit was seen as desirable....cannot recall which number it was but a bit like car number plates there were only so many variables available!

PS wracks brains ~ I think G6 ones were dedicated to those who were registered as licensed for a particular high frequency spectrum area?

Last edited:
Crumbs, a blast from the past! I never did get my amateur license mainly down to that Morse code defeated me :( but I was for years doing SWL :). Somewhere I still have a bunch of SQL cards from places around the world.

So in regard to "G" the G as I recall means Great Britain registration but I think I recall reading that G followed one a particular number digit was seen as desirable....cannot recall which number it was but a bit like car number plates there were only so many variables available!

PS wracks brains ~ I think G6 ones were dedicated to those who were registered as licensed for a particular high frequency spectrum area?

G8, G6 & G7 were all for the "B" Licence (50mhz (6m) )and above. G0,G2, G3, G4 & G5 were all for A licence holders. I also held G0WSJ as well as G6URJ. Then you had the location variants of GM (Scotland) GW (Wales) GI (N. Ireland) GJ for the Channel Islands, and there was another one for the I.O.M. but I can't recall what it was.

All new licences are "M" now, and you no longer have to take a morse test to operate the Short Wave (1.6-30Mhz) bands.

G8, G6 & G7 were all for the "B" Licence (50mhz (6m) )and above. G0,G2, G3, G4 & G5 were all for A licence holders. I also held G0WSJ as well as G6URJ. Then you had the location variants of GM (Scotland) GW (Wales) GI (N. Ireland) GJ for the Channel Islands, and there was another one for the I.O.M. but I can't recall what it was.

All new licences are "M" now, and you no longer have to take a morse test to operate the Short Wave (1.6-30Mhz) bands.

Thanks for the more detailed reprise :) On a side note, I was also very interested in "Slow Scan TV" at the time and received a few local'ish transmissions..............I conjured with the idea of building my own slow scan camera and going for the transmitter license but the costs at that time for me were prohibitive :(

I did like building my own valve stuff when I could and later a few simple transistor projects, etching my own printed circuits boards....................oh those were the days.

PS I started out SWL with an ex-Mil set boy did it weigh a 'ton'(not too sure now of the designation but B-19 rings bells for some reason but that may have been the transmitter/receiver that a lot of folk used?) Later I saved up enough for a Trio set :) The old Mil set and the Trio were connected to a 100ft long single wire aerial, strung out along the escape balcony of the block of flats we lived in. I was something like 80 or 90 feet up so a great location for the aerial and the reception in general, I think :)

Hi, a 560 SEC (for some 500 engines, there seem to be no spare parts (camshafts etc.) :

D80_8447-n70c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
James Hunt used to use an A35 van as his daily driver. Used to reckon that driving it at its limits was almost as exciting as driving an F1 car!

James Hunt used to use an A35 van as his daily driver. Used to reckon that driving it at its limits was almost as exciting as driving an F1 car!

Well, you do see "hot" A35's at Goodwood ;)

Datsun Fairlady from the 60's. Was meant to be competition for the MGB but very few were ever imported.

Personally I think it looks lovely....

DSCF0490.jpg

Hi, thank you for showing the FairLady, Steve. :) I have a few, too :

L1018282_DxO-L35c-c-tp.jpg

L1018283_DxO-L35c-c-tp.jpg

L1018281_DxO-L35c-c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing it being driven is nice. Those early Datsun's were very prone to rust, I don't quite think the Japanese understood what the weather was like in the UK :oops: :$

Seeing it being driven is nice. Those early Datsun's were very prone to rust, I don't quite think the Japanese understood what the weather was like in the UK :oops: :$

Hi, rust was a problem. So are and were parts supply. I remember a colleague who had these difficulties with his 240Z in 1986 already ... ---

L1018021_DxO-L50s-c-tp.jpg

The ugliest of the E-Types. Still not a paper bagger but not as pretty as the Series 1 or 2, especially compared to the drophead versions.

The ugliest of the E-Types. Still not a paper bagger but not as pretty as the Series 1 or 2, especially compared to the drophead versions.

Hi, a drophead E-Type (with taped windowframe ... ) :

D80_7665-n70c-tp.jpg

Better than the 2+2 but I still much prefer the Mk 1 & 2 iterations.

Better than the 2+2 but I still much prefer the Mk 1 & 2 iterations.

Hi, E-Types are and were so rare here that people could not develop a taste. So, only Oh- and Ah- reactions here ... ---

A rare conversion, seen in Schwetzingen :

DSC04471-s55-c-tp.jpg

See - even a cobbled together van series 1 looks better than the series 3s!!! ;) (BTW, the later series are far better to drive than the early series 1s, especially if you're over 6 feet tall!)

Hi, a DB 190SL. Seen by many as a Lady's Car at the time, especially by the many who could not afford afford it ... --- :

D80_3547-n70c-tp.jpg

A friend of Dad's had one of them - didn't fancy a "last year's model" race car so bought a new roadster rather than the Gullwing...

A friend of Dad's had one of them - didn't fancy a "last year's model" race car so bought a new roadster rather than the Gullwing...

A good choice. The Gullwing has very unsatisfactory ventilation by today's standards.

As a car to drive, yes but as an investment?

Hi, seen for the first time at the end-of-season event in the Klassikstadt, Frankfurt :

DSC04899-a7r2-s35-c-tp.jpg

DSC04928-a7r2-s35-c-tp.jpg

DSC04930-a7r2-s35-tp.jpg

Looks like a Lotus 6/7 has been "taken roughly from behind" by a Cobra!

Back