CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Unusual to see a Lotus Cortina in a different colour scheme to the normal cream with green side strake.

Unusual to see a Lotus Cortina in a different colour scheme to the normal cream with green side strake.

Hi, maybe they tried to copy Ford racing colours. I remember GT40s with that colour scheme.

Similar to the Gulf racing colours.

Does seem a little odd, a 4 door model with a lotus badge.

According to Wikipedia there were only 2 cars made with the 4 door body shell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Cortina

Yes, it looks strange. It is a LHD car. Maybe, it "migrated" back from the U.S., where it had been tuned and "upgraded".

It has an "H" plate, meaning it is recognized by the TÜV (our MOT) as a historical vehicle. The question is whether it got the H plate before or after the conversion.

In any case, the car is from a town near me, so I will see it again next year, and I will find out ... ---

Hi, at the 2019 MAC event last summer it was so hot, cars waited in the shadows, and umbrellas were used too keep the seats cool.

Posting this on a cool, foggy November Sunday morning ... --- :

D80_8282-n70c-tp.jpg

D80_8307-n70c-tp.jpg

Does seem a little odd, a 4 door model with a lotus badge.

According to Wikipedia there were only 2 cars made with the 4 door body shell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Cortina

Looking at that Wiki link, it seems that the 2 four door examples were made for UK police evaluation so would be (both apparently still exist) RHD rather than left hookers. Entirely possible that a four door could have all the Lotus bits transplanted into it.

Beetle in its natural habitat by the Achensee in the Austrian Tyrol...

Volkswagen Beetle near Achensea.jpg

And a soft-top one at that!

Vague memories of sitting in the footwell of one on the way to hospital to have a cocktail stick removed from the sole of my foot, wiggling the exposed end (of the cocktail stick...) so the lump on the top moved around while my mother went slightly green around the gills!

I wonder if Sir William Lyons saw that before he penned the XK120.

Hi, a pre-WW2 HORCH (pre-AUDI) displaying Stromlinienform :

L1018720_DxO-L35s-c-tp.jpg

I have just acquired this. A non-running 1980 W123 230E that has been left standing for the last 10 years and with half the Eden Project growing on it.
It is going to need a bit of TLC to get it back up to scratch, but it only cost me two bottles of whiskey, one for the car and one for the trailer. :D

20191201_124431_HDRsmall.jpg20191201_124444small.jpg20191201_154802small.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, congrats! (y) (It is a W123 ...). My first Mercedes was a W123 240 D, I got before Christmas in 1981. My best Christmas ever !!!

Hi, congrats! (y) (It is a W123 ...). My first Mercedes was a W123 240 D, I got before Christmas in 1981. My best Christmas ever !!!
Yes sorry, typo there, it is of course a W123. With the bits that are working, I am impressed with how solid it is for a car that is older than I am!

Yes sorry, typo there, it is of course a W123. With the bits that are working, I am impressed with how solid it is for a car that is older than I am!

Hi, the body looks quite solid, the left side requiring a little more attention ... This depends - of course - if you want to restore it to concours condition, or to use it as a daily driver.

Most vintage cars like being driven daily. The battery of my 300 SE is flat after standing for a few weeks ... ---

Back