CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Morgan in Sidmouth, Devon...

Morgan car turning left off Sidmouth Esplanade P1012946.JPG

Probably seen that Moggy. The main dealer is at the bottom of the hill atop which sits the golf course I (try to) play. It's rare for there not to be a couple of Mogs floating around on the way there and/or back so most of the local cars will have been spotted. Might well take it to Powderham too, although not last year or this :(.

Never too sure about the XK FHC's looks - IMO the DHC is much prettier. Not that I'd turn down an FHC as a gift!

Never too sure about the XK FHC's looks - IMO the DHC is much prettier. Not that I'd turn down an FHC as a gift!

Well, I like both, seeing them in action. Owning and running one of them can be quite challenging financially, (I have heard from a reliable source, a jeweller in Mainz) ...

Especially, if you need professional help for everything. ---

The HEIDELBERG HISTORIC, where I took the pic of this XK 120, will be held this year!

To my eyes, the FHCs look pregnant! VERY few cars designed as open topped look anywhere near as good when a top is added. The E-Type, F-Type and XK8 (X100) are among the exceptions but they were all designed as both soft and hard tops at the same time. The E-Type 2+2 looks bloated in comparison to the FHC and came a few years after the originals.

A restored Citroen Traction Avant on display at the Yorkshire Air Museum...

Citroen Traction car at Yorkshire Air Museum GM5 P1220759.JPG

Hi, a DKW, belonging to AUTO UNION, later to become AUDI. Interestingly, it had a streamline (Stromlinie) body. After this, there came ponton bodies,
to be replaced by more aerodynamic bodies from the 80s on ... :

D80_7557-n70c.jpg

Not as pretty as it's younger siblings but I'd still have it!

Not easy here but easier than it is there, I'd guess!

Thats me.. Juts drove my friends Delorean to end of street and back ... no power steering , left hand drive and tiny wing mirrors.... what a treat :) arshad.jpg

A racing snail!

Had a Dyane 6 (which set its heat exchanger/heater tubes alight...) for a while and restored a Mehari with Dad (which was great fun and being LHD, could be kept tucked right in to the side of the road to let everything past as easily as possible!)

A racing snail!

Had a Dyane 6 (which set its heat exchanger/heater tubes alight...) for a while and restored a Mehari with Dad (which was great fun and being LHD, could be kept tucked right in to the side of the road to let everything past as easily as possible!)

Oui! I had this problem that my then girlfriends wanted me to take two of her (girl)friends along, when we to Düsseldorf, where the action was.

With four in the car, I had to got into second gear uphill, reaching around 30 km/h ...

On the other hand, there are very fond memories of direct personal contacts with my girlfriend in the 2CV ... -------------

The best thing (possibly the ONLY good thing!) about the Dyane (and probably the 2CV) was being able to take the rear seats out and have a sofa on the beach.

Could be argued that that's not a car - more a trike!

Could also be argued that there was a similar vehicle built in 1803, albeit steam powered. London Steam Carriage - Wikipedia

1.)Could be argued that that's not a car - more a trike!

2.)Could also be argued that there was a similar vehicle built in 1803, albeit steam powered. London Steam Carriage - Wikipedia

Hi, ad 1.) Benz did not invent the motor-car, as we know it today. He patented a three-wheel vehicle, powered by a combustion engine.

Detail of the patent here :

ad 2.) answered above. The innovation was the engine, which made the vehicle more practical at the time.

There were several steam car makers later, but the steam cars died, when cars with combustion engines became easier to use, also because electric starters were introduced.

Back