CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

...But again, those tuning efforts are not all successful ...

I would say: But again, those tuning efforts are not usually a good idea :D

And speaking about ugly cars:

Dodge Polara Royal Monaco (I think this is the model used in the Blues Brothers movie)
dodge-polara-royal.jpg

Dodge Polara
dodge-polara.jpg

Hi, at my dealer, where I took my E430 for MOT, service, and a new exhaust (the first after 17 years):

L1015142_DxO-L35sum-28-c-tp.jpg

Useless car for me - I can't get out of one with the hood up! Gravity can get me down and in but I have to roll out sideways to exit it. Can manage an MX-5 with some (OK, a teeny weeny bit!) dignity but not an Elise/Exige! Is that one of the V6s?

Hi, near the Breidenbacher Hof, my favourite watering hole in Düsseldorf/Germany:

L1013325_DxO-z35dist-c-tp.jpg

VW getting ideas above their station!

Not sure it ever has been! Even back in the '20s it was leaping from financial crisis to financial crisis. Only really survived the RR years due to "badge engineering".

Always liked the idea of an LM 002 but never even seen one in the flesh.

The new Urus looks a bit like its cousin - the Cayenne but I suppose that any vaguely aerodynamic SUV will have certain characteristics in its shape.

Always liked the idea of an LM 002 but never even seen one in the flesh.

The new Urus looks a bit like its cousin - the Cayenne but I suppose that any vaguely aerodynamic SUV will have certain characteristics in its shape.

Hi, I do not like the Urus-type SUVs very much. It is more like a SUV-coupe, so when will we see two-seater SUVs?

For me, proper SUVs are the Range Rover, Toyota Land-Cruiser, Mercedes GLS or G ... ---

In front of my favourite restaurant in Wiesbaden, the Orangerie:

L1015325_DxO-L3824-c-tp.jpg

L1015323_DxO-L3824-c-tp.jpg

Bentley and Lambo compared:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02FxDymuTUA

Last edited:
That and the i8 are the only 2 Bimmers I'd have on my drive (other than proper vintage ones!)

That and the i8 are the only 2 Bimmers I'd have on my drive (other than proper vintage ones!)
I'd absolutely have some Alpina goodness or an E39/E46 M3, but they're perhaps moving towards vintage too these days.

My 130i is likely going soon. Shame really as I bloody love that engine.

The only thing I don't like about the M1 is the way the front bumper always looks like it's not mounted correctly.

I now can't unsee this [emoji29]

Sorry! :p

Luckily, they're rare enough for it not to bug you too often. TBH, I think I've only seen one once and that was on display at a race meeting!

... TBH, I think I've only seen one once and that was on display at a race meeting!

Hi, they are rare, even in Germany. But only few were made. Maybe they do not take part in rallyes because parts and support can be a problem,
and the practicality (seats and ventilation/ac) is not so great ... ---

An M3 in the park :

DSC00666-a7r2-s55c-tp.jpg

And in the rain:

DSC07270-a7r2-c-tp.jpg

How far is BMW from its biginnings...

900px-1928_BMW_Dixi_3-15_750cc.jpg

And not only about the cars, but from starting manufacturing cars under a British license, the Austin 7:

Austin_Seven_Saloon_1931.jpg

I would like to have a Dixi in my garage too (y)

Hi, a DAF, with an innovative automatic gearbox - in the 70s. In Germany, it was seen as "a car for old ladies".

So, it was not successful in the marketplace:

L1009436-L50summ-c-tp.jpg

"Gearbox"? You mean 2 expanding/contracting pulleys and rubber belt(s) :)

Dad used to call the Dafs "rubber band" driven. I wonder if you can still get spare belts for them.

Dad used to call the Dafs "rubber band" driven. I wonder if you can still get spare belts for them.

Hi, belts are still available (and used in the DAF above). The question is, how long do they last ... ---

Back