CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

[pedant]That's a Series 3 - you can tell by the plastic radiator grille and the leaf springs (among other tell tale signs).[/pedant]

Very clean but has had some "proper" use in the past.

Hi, DEFENDERs are very poupular. This one, used by a law firm, takes part in a rallye. Perhaps doing some advertising, and looking for clients ... --- :) :

D80_6315-n70c-tp.jpg

D80_6315-n70cc-tp.jpg

I saw this '67 Morris yesterday.
The signage and blue light have been removed, but the two-tone siren is still in there; I heard them testing it. :police:
Panda Car.JPG

I love SSes!

Hi, cont. :

L1013142_DxO-L50c-c-tp.jpg

L1013137_DxO-L50c-tp.jpg

The hood of the white 3 1/2 litre convertible shown above:

L1018267_DxO-L35c-c-tp.jpg

Hi, the ladies in their INVICTA. Tomorrow, at the Heidelberg Historic I expect several high-end cars ... :

D80_7150-n70c-tp.jpg

3 Jaaaags. E-Type, XK120 and D-Type (replica). A rather nice Mk IX in the background of the E-Type too!

DSCF5326.JPGDSCF5331.JPGDSCF5339.JPG

Another view of the Series 1 E-Type and a shot of the XK's motor - one of the most beautiful engines to be hidden under a bonnet!

DSCF5327p.JPGDSCF5346p.JPG

Hi, a Jag from me, too (XK 120 C-Type) at the Heidelberg Historic yesterday:

D80_7462-n70c-tp.jpg

A small selection of Morgans and a pair of small Morgans!

DSCF5316.JPGDSCF5348.JPG

A rare VW XL-1. Development costs were apparently close to Veyron levels.

DSCF5336XL1.JPGDSCF5337.JPG

A bit of an oddity - an Aston Martin Zagato shooting brake.

DSCF5344.JPGDSCF5345.JPG

Hi, a vintage Aston Martin (1935 Mark II Long Chassis) :

D80_7335-n70c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Datsun 240Z.

DSCF5323.JPG

Came across this in Topsham (Devon) yesterday. The badge on the radiator seems to be the Oxford coat of arms. Being an idiot I didn't take a picture of the boot which might have had a name on it. Anyone know what it is?

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310906.JPG

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310907.jpg

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310908.JPG

Last edited:
1935 Morris 8 or 10. (I'm not a genius, just knew that Morris Motors were Oxford based, guessed at the 8 or 10 and Googled the reg number to find a year!)

Just spotted the 8 on the radiator cap!

Based on one of the commonest "classics" ever built - a Beetle based Nova (or even 2 of them!)

DSCF5324.JPG

DSCF5322.JPG

A 3 Litre Bentley "Red Label" badge.

DSCF5335p.JPG

The saviour of Rover after WW II?

DSCF5347.JPG

A 3 Litre Bentley "Red Label" badge.

Hi, do you also have a picture of the car? If you think I 'm curious - you 're right ! :) ---

Yesterday at the vintage car event in Boppard. Visitors from Manchester/England with an SL:

DSC03617-a7r2-3-s35c-tp.jpg

DSC03732-a7r2-3-s35-tp.jpg

Hi, do you also have a picture of the car? If you think I 'm curious - you 're right ! :) ---

Probably! But not from this year. IIRC it had a Gurney Nutting style touring body on it rather than anything more racy.

Just after WW II, cars like it were all but given away - they were seen as anachronistic relics of a bygone age with thirsty engines in a time when petrol was still rationed and hard to come by. Relatively few were actually raced seriously but in recent times, LOTS have been fitted with far sportier body styles than they'd had in "real life"!

I was chatting with an uncle about Grandpa's Speed 6 - turns out that it sometimes scared him. After all, it was (in effect) a top flight race car under a touring body with fairly minimal braking and plenty of get-up-and-go! His was one of the ones built for the road (all the same bits as the racers but less highly tuned) but had done a few club type races before the war but the chap who bought it from Grandpa spent a few grand putting a racing body on it and sold it on for close to twice what he paid for it, despite his assurances during negotiations that it would stay as it was and in the UK...

A VW Type 2 "Splitty" camper. Started life as a dropside pickup but was converted to something less impractical!

DSCF5325.JPG

Pretty 'orrible as standard but not so bad with a bit of work!!!

DSCF5330p.JPG

Back