CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Au revoir ... :
My brother in law had one of those provided by the bank he was a manager for. Previously driven by one of the directors for a year or so It was very much B-I-L's pride and joy.

He was driving down a perfectly straight rural road when someone drove out of a side road and into the side of the SM. The insurers wrote it off and his next car was a new but rather less spectacular Ford Granada.

My brother in law had one of those provided by the bank he was a manager for. Previously driven by one of the directors for a year or so It was very much B-I-L's pride and joy.

He was driving down a perfectly straight rural road when someone drove out of a side road and into the side of the SM. The insurers wrote it off and his next car was a new but rather less spectacular Ford Granada.

Hi, thank you for sharing experiences with the SM in your family, AndrewFlannigan. The sudden, early exitus of this SM is rather sad. On the other hand, it will always evoke fond memories, which might have been different, had it reached a riper age ...

Citroens were difficult to maintain in Germany and in England. And the SM with its Maserati engine even more so. It is a great pity, that there was this vast difference between
engineering and manufacturing quality in France ---

Düsseldorf, Königsallee :

L1019967_DxO-L35c-c-tp.jpg

Smart old Mercedes at Whitby Goth weekend - drawing a lot of attention, mind there were skeletons inside.
The Elsinore behind is where the event started some 25 years ago.

Mercedes Goth mobile. by Colin Grice, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not my photo (my Grandfather's) or my cars (again, Grandpa's!) but an interesting pair that didn't stay together long, the Cadillac La Salle being sold to finance the completion of the Speed Six Bentley's restoration. Fond memories of riding in the dickey seats of both as a child.
What can't be seen on the La Salle (nicknamed "the Monster" by the family) is the hatch behind the doors which opened into the footwell of the dickey. This was to allow faster access to the guns - the car was apparently originally built as a shooting brake for an Indian dignitary, hence the spotlights as well.
The Bentley was never an official racer but did apparently get entered in a few club races (as did most of the breed). Slightly less tuned than the racers but still highly strung enough to scare Grandpa on anything but perfectly dry roads (it was, after all, the equivalent of a detuned F1 car of its time - with period brakes...)dream garage.jpg

Not my photo (my Grandfather's) or my cars (again, Grandpa's!) but an interesting pair that didn't stay together long, the Cadillac La Salle being sold to finance the completion of the Speed Six Bentley's restoration. Fond memories of riding in the dickey seats of both as a child.
What can't be seen on the La Salle (nicknamed "the Monster" by the family) is the hatch behind the doors which opened into the footwell of the dickey. This was to allow faster access to the guns - the car was apparently originally built as a shooting brake for an Indian dignitary, hence the spotlights as well.
The Bentley was never an official racer but did apparently get entered in a few club races (as did most of the breed). Slightly less tuned than the racers but still highly strung enough to scare Grandpa on anything but perfectly dry roads (it was, after all, the equivalent of a detuned F1 car of its time - with period brakes...)

Thank you for sharing your experience with these beauties ! - (y)

A Bentley from Switzerland at Schwetzingen 2019:

L1018870_DxO-L35s-c-tp.jpg

DSC04592-s55-tp.jpg

DSC04591-s55-tp.jpg

And the rather mature Bentley-Boys. Fine gentlemen, I had a nice talk with ... :

DSC04590-s55-c-tp.jpg

I am currently going through my hard drives and organising over 10 years of photos. Because I have seen my fair amount of cars over these years I have stripped out what wasn't client work and put it into an archive. My Carchive if you will. I will still post photos but I was wondering if there is anything people might like to see?

Carchive.PNG

I am currently going through my hard drives and organising over 10 years of photos. Because I have seen my fair amount of cars over these years I have stripped out what wasn't client work and put it into an archive. My Carchive if you will. I will still post photos but I was wondering if there is anything people might like to see?

Hi, I find the scope and the order of your work deeply impressive. I have attended around 25 vintage car events and meetings each year for the past 7 years.

What you show here, is up to you, really. Classic cars is a narrow category, but important can be almost any car for various reasons as outlined in my opening.

From what I have seen from you, I look forward to your contributions to this thread ... --- :)

An SL - a never-wozzer for me ... :

L1018049_DxO-L35s-c-tp.jpg

A later version was a nearly-wozzer but IIRC it was a 280 and lacked any real "oomph". The real killer was that the roof didn't open correctly so we waited a few years. Ended up with the XK8 which was a bit of a money pit but great fun!

Hi, an SL in action at the Bad Homburg Classic 2019 :

D80_7231-n70c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, family picnic by the roadside in France 1959 (printscan 2005, myself 2nd from right), our dear Merc in the background:

tp-Unbenannt-Scannen-11.jpg

Not 1 or even 2 Important Cars but over 200! Minis old and new parked up at Hartland Quay whilst taking part in a big Charity Run in August all under the banner of Small Cars Big Hearts
69024542_10220222246929383_8019835467946000384_o.jpg

Not 1 or even 2 Important Cars but over 200! Minis old and new parked up at Hartland Quay whilst taking part in a big Charity Run in August all under the banner of Small Cars Big Hearts

Impressive, however you wouldn't expect 200 of anything to look like that. It looks a lot less than what you would expect.

Impressive, however you wouldn't expect 200 of anything to look like that. It looks a lot less than what you would expect.

There were over 230 (they were counted out) on the Monday run this was the Sunday so may have been slightly less, still impressive when you think that we take this lot on the public roads and pretty much keep them together (ish)

View attachment 259694

Hi, an impressive display of cars and enthusiasm! (y) --- The Mini is a Classic and Important car!

At the Heidelberg Historic 2019 :

D80_7430-n70c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
1999 Downton Sport Touring 1 of 5 converted to celebrate the Minis 40th Birthday.

This is No 1 and is believed to be the only 1 in the UK .

1 Owner from new and although it only has 45,000 on the clock is no trailer queen.

THE LEGENDARY GRAND TOUR 2019 (216 of 1619) resize.jpg

Hi, you see lots of /8 here. I like the colour Orientrot, my first Mercedes in 1981 had it, too. The Fuchs alloys were an expensive extra then :

L1018048_DxO-L35s-c-tp.jpg

Back