CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Even exotic cars sometimes require a patch or two....Oh no the second one was applied by a passing bird!Besancon T  (17).JPG

Only just noticed this thread.

Not sure about the "classic" or "important" label, but as it's rare, for interest, this was my first car - it's a Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v "Champion" special edition - one of 250 produced with a full Connolly leather interior:
(photos are taken on iPhone of physical prints)

Untitled by conradsphotos, on Flickr

There is a bit of a story to the car in that I sold it around 2000/2001, saw it a year later in much worse condition, then assumed it had ultimately gone to the scrapyard.

A few years ago, I idly put the reg number into google and came across a thread on a vauxhall forum, where a guy called Clive had apparently bought it from somewhere in Scotland and was in the process of restoring it. I contacted him and filled in a bit of its history for him.

It seems that he completed the restoration, and Corgi made a limited run of 1:43 scale models, even down to the same registration number, one of which I managed to get hold of via ebay:

Champion_model3 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Champion_model1 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Further searching has also revealed a photo of the fully restored car at a show in 2018! :)

Vauxhall Astra GTE - G770 RGN by Andy Reeve-Smith, on Flickr

Hi, thank you for your contribution, C&C!(y) Personal histories like yours I had in mind, too, when I started this thread, ---

I live quite close to the OPEL factory in Rüsselsheim, where the Astras were built. They are quite rare as participants in vintage car rallyes, because cars must be at
least 30 years old.

It took quite a while to find an example :

D80_6466-n70-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: C&C
As we've had a few Japanese cars on here, here's another - this was my 3rd car after the Astra above - 2nd one was another Nissan Skyline R32GTR, but less modified. The one pictured runs 522bhp and is currently off the road getting restored due to some rust issues. Hopefully it should be back in action later this year.

P1020400 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Not sure if I've posted these 2 shots - one is Mum's (later my) Frogeye in front of Grandpa's Speed 6 and the other is the Sprite on a rally field. Both scans from old film. (Spot the TR beside the Frogeye!)

Sprite and Bentley at Elmfield.jpgSprite at Powderham.jpg

Hi, a few pics of the cars above. (I do not have much from DATSUN/NISSAN) :

A TR3. The one from Vintage Racer must be new, judging from the engine ... :

D80_7199-n70c-tp.jpg

DB R129 SL (one of my dream-cars, a never-wozzer) :

D80_9428-n70c-tp-2.jpg

Frogeye :

D80_7062-n70c-tp.jpg

Not sure if I've posted these 2 shots - one is Mum's (later my) Frogeye in front of Grandpa's Speed 6 and the other is the Sprite on a rally field. Both scans from old film. (Spot the TR beside the Frogeye!)

I love the contrast in size between those 2.

I have a good idea of the size of the Sprite as my brother used to have one (as well as an old Morris Minor). Unfortunately I can't seem to find any photos of either.

I do not have much from DATSUN/NISSAN

I have one or two:

Datsun Z car (not sure if it's a 240z or 280z):

PICT2709 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Nissan Skyline R32 GTR:

PICT2652 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Nissan Skyline R33 GTRs:

IMG_0356 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Nissan Skyline R34 GTRs:

IMG_0404 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

And at the time (March 2008) one of if not the first Nissan GTR (R35) in the UK:

IMG_0392 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

IMG_0387 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Last edited:
One more from me - another uncommon one and it is my 4th and latest car, which I've now had for a couple of months under 14 years, and have no plans of selling! :)
Apart from anything, there isn't really anything to compare performance wise for the price.

Noble M400, slightly modified with 442 bhp and 415 lbs ft torque.
0-60 mph under 3.5s,
0-100 mph in 8s
0-100-0 in 12s

My wife driving at Rockingham:

CnC_021 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Her again at Spa:

120 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

A couple with a few friends:

IMG_1119 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

IMG_1120 by conradsphotos, on Flickr

noble panorama by conradsphotos, on Flickr

Hi, a 356 in action :

D80_7117-n70c-tp.jpg

PORSCHE Taycan - The U.S. EPA found out that it has a range of no more than 323 km (200 miles) in normal conditions, with A/C. So it is more of a fun car for e-enthusiasts ... ---

Last edited:
Any under-bonnet shots of its motor(s)?

Pretty much the only underbonnet shot I could find (OK, that Google could find!) was THIS one. Not as interesting as I hoped - too much plumbing etc. over the top of them.

Pretty much the only underbonnet shot I could find (OK, that Google could find!) was THIS one. Not as interesting as I hoped - too much plumbing etc. over the top of them.

Thank you! (y) I did not find anything ... ---

My F80 M3, I bought this new in 2015 and these are the first turbo M3's, quite a different car to the V8 E9* it replaced. I have carried out a few modifications to this which include the following:

• Akrapovic Evo exhaust system
  • AC Schnitzer coilover suspension
  • BMW Performance LED acing steering wheel
  • Bootmod 3 remap software (currently on Stage 1, circa 500bhp)
I still enjoy driving this car 5 years on, and have no intention of selling it anytime soon.

DSCF2035 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

DSCF0200 by Rick Phillips, on Flickr

Last edited:
Needs a good polish!!!

Just one spotted on the street yesterday. Of course, it's a rather posh street, full of stuff I can't afford, but nevermind!

am1.jpg

am2.jpg

(I used to love AM design, and thought they'd lost their way, but this is gorgeous.)

A very well worn Hillman Minx Series IIIC in Sidmouth yesterday...

Hillman Minx Series IIIC Sidmouth A65 DSC03402.JPG

Back