CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Prefer XFs to XEs...

Cleaner than mine is at the moment!

Most "prestige" cars of that era were pretty much coachbuilt onto a manufacturer supplied chassis. The one in my link is described as a "one-off" but yours sort of puts the lie to that!

^^ Nice number plate, MB1 used to belong to Max Bygraves, apparently Mercedes Benz wanted it. MB2 would be ok for me :)

"Bonjour Comissairre Maigret."

Anyone have a calculator handy? Historic Motor Racing is the only genre that stirs interest in me. A Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, Lister Jaguar Coupe Prototype, Aston Martin Zagato, Ferrari 250GTO. I couldn't hazard a guess as to the combined value but I'm sure it runs into many millions. So, shall we polish them up and display them in a comfortable museum or should we toss the keys to legendary racing drivers and let them have their fun in hideous conditions in the RAC Tourist Trophy Celebration race at the Goodwood Revival?GR2011_046.jpgGR2011_047.jpgGR2011_049.jpgGR2011_051.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, from a Historic Rallye (Heidelberg Historic), the most interesting event of this type in my area :

D80_2033-n70c-tp.jpg

Anyone have a calculator handy? Historic Motor Racing is the only genre that stirs interest in me. A Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, Lister Jaguar Coupe Prototype, Aston Martin Zagato, Ferrari 250GTO. I couldn't hazard a guess as to the combined value but I'm sure it runs into many millions. So, shall we polish them up and display them in a comfortable museum or should we toss the keys to legendary racing drivers and let them have their fun in hideous conditions in the RAC Tourist Trophy Celebration race at the Goodwood Revival?View attachment 270788View attachment 270789View attachment 270791View attachment 270793

Like all mechanical things, they should be used; otherwise they may as well be dead.

I've spoken to owners and drivers of similar machinery and while the possibility of a prang is always there, a dent in a panel on a £1,000 car costs the same to repair as a dent on a £1,000,000 car.

I'm no expert on classic cars, so is this one?

morris_10_four_s.jpg

Dunham Massey National Trust.

Pentax K3 + 18-55 kit lens.

Howard

'34/'35 Morris. (According to a couple of Google results, anyway!) And yes, it qualifies as a classic, although by some criteria, it misses out on being vintage by a few years.

Hi, a modern AMG. - @Nod: I use(d) vintage for classic cars. Strictly speaking, it applies to cars from 1919 - 1930 only ... :

L1021524_DxO-v35-c-tp.jpg

Modern price :

L1021524_DxO-v35-cc-tp.jpg

It's hard to know where the line between vintage and classic should be drawn (or even IF it should be!) As you say, the current definition is '19-'30 but that cuts cars like the Morris and Model A Fords, both of which have the look (and technology) of the vintage era. Then again, if you go by looks, the current Morgan 3 wheeler would qualify, as might their +4...

Sure! (y) Although I do not know what it is. Could be a MORRIS ... ---

'34/'35 Morris. (According to a couple of Google results, anyway!) And yes, it qualifies as a classic, although by some criteria, it misses out on being vintage by a few years.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies and your info.

You are both correct. The front badge says "Morris 10" and from my googling earlier on it's a Morris 10-4, circa 1934.

Here's a full frontal.

View attachment 271431View attachment 271431

Cheers,

Howard

I'll have a few to add, might not fit the perfect definition of classic, but perhaps cult and muscle.

OOPS, sorry I've posted the images twice.

Can the mods please delete one?

Done.

Howard

Last edited:
Back