CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Freaky brake button!

Hi, a drive-by-shooting ... :

L1001554_DxO-z50p-4-c-tp-2.jpg

LOTUS are extremely rare here... --- Maybe due to coronavirus there were no supercars on the road yesterday when I drove over 300 miles on the Autobahn.

But there were the idiots driving at 100 mph in fog - but with rear foglights on ... ---

Bonjour! Introduced 50 years ago ! Another brilliant concept, poorly executed. The engine being the weakest part ... ---

But beautiful, at rest :

DSC00675-a7r2-3-ctp.jpg

And in action :

DSC07102-a7r2-s55c_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Hi, a NSU RO 80, followed by an AUDI Quattro. The Wankel engine was unreliable. MAZDA perfected it using better sealings ... :

D80_7376-n70c-tp.jpg

Beautiful!

What do you call the "rumble seat"? Here in the UK, it's called a Dicky seat - fond memories of riding in Grandpa's assorted Dickies!

Hi, the NSX was and is a great car. They are quite rare here, as are other Japanese high-end sports cars (TOYOTA Supra, NISSAN ZXT). The main reason being,
that they do not keep their value well long term.....

Not sure where 'here' is (Germany from teh number of 'D' plates in your photo's?), but in UK they do OK.

I recently turned down a cash offer for more than twice what paid for my car.

Japanese mid-engined car = cheap, economical, reliable and most of all, fun motoring.

IMG_9407 by Whyone, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not sure where 'here' is (Germany from teh number of 'D' plates in your photo's?), but in UK they do OK.

I recently turned down a cash offer for more than twice what paid for my car.

Japanese mid-engined car = cheap, economical, reliable and most of all, fun motoring. by Whyone, on Flickr

Hi, my statements refer to Germany.

The offer made to you sounds good, but this is because you bought the NSX used, I assume. The depreciation of the early years was not your problem.

Japanese car quality is high, only spares are expensive (here). - I had two: NISSSAN NX 100GTI, SUBARU Forester.

Have fun, with your NSX! :)

Hi, my statements refer to Germany.

The offer made to you sounds good, but this is because you bought the NSX used, I assume. The depreciation of the early years was not your problem.

Japanese car quality is high, only spares are expensive (here). - I had two: NISSSAN NX 100GTI, SUBARU Forester.

Have fun, with your NSX! :)

Yes, I bought my car second hand.

As for spares, yes they can be eye-wateringly expensive, but sourcing from the US helps greatly - some are 25% (even after shipping and duty) of the price charged by Honda UK. I'd have thought this would work even better for Germany as some of the parts are 'handed' and you and the US both have the steering wheel on the wrong side!

Currently unsure how to get my NSX out of winter storage due to the lockdown here in the UK :(

Leave it in until the lockdown's ended - you can't really get the benefit from it until then, anyway! I've got a few bikes sitting doing nothing and the weather's perfect for it. 1st world problems!

Yes, I bought my car second hand.

As for spares, yes they can be eye-wateringly expensive, but sourcing from the US helps greatly - some are 25% (even after shipping and duty) of the price charged by Honda UK. I'd have thought this would work even better for Germany as some of the parts are 'handed' and you and the US both have the steering wheel on the wrong side!

Currently unsure how to get my NSX out of winter storage due to the lockdown here in the UK :(

Hi, sourcing spares from the U.S. is a wise move. Prices are lower there because more NSXs have been sold there than in the U.K. and Germany.

The low number of NSXs here (I have seen one years ago on the road) is also due to the fact that we have a few local brands.

I would leave the NSX in storage, for now ---

Hi, a NSU RO 80, followed by an AUDI Quattro. The Wankel engine was unreliable. MAZDA perfected it using better sealings ... :

View attachment 272051
I believe Norton motorcycles had a hand in getting better seals to work as they developed their Wankel engine for use in bikes, for both civilian and police duty and drones, which were used for target practice.

Last edited:
Annual Classics on the Common, old photosIMG_0468.jpgIMG_0481.jpgIMG_0469.jpgIMG_0476.jpg.

French cars

rcz.jpgfc.jpg

I particularly liked the French take on HSE for the spectators. We all sat on straw bales and hung our legs into the race track.

Last edited:
Back