CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Probably the only one of my previous cars that I'd buy back given a chance. 20 grand (£) is too much though!

Probably the only one of my previous cars that I'd buy back given a chance. 20 grand (£) is too much though!

Well, the price is one thing. It's more difficult to find out how well it has been maintained ... ---

Thanks for that Frogeye shot! Reminds me just how badly fitting the soft top was compared to modern convertibles and how poor the heater was. Any under bonnet work was a nuisance too - I barely fit under the arch and it always took a bit of wriggling to get there! Pretty and fun as it was, Mrs Nod's MX-5 is undeniably a far better car, even if it is the less-pretty-than-its-older-sibling Mk 3 version (the 2/2.5 doesn't have the afterthought wheel arch extensions). However, these days the Frog would be a sunny day toy, not the daily driver mine was - even during the winters I had it for.

Edited because I hit Ctrl + Return early!

Last edited:
Hi, nowadays the cars of our youth are used as toys. As daily drivers they were not much fun. In my first car, a 2CV, and in my second, a VW beetle convertible,
it was inside as cold as outside in winter ... ---

Another TR3 :

D80_2070-n70c-tp.jpg

My 2CV (actually a Dyane 6) set fire to its heat exchanger tubes. Took a second or 2 to realise that it wasn't steam coming through the demister slots... Only thing I liked about the thing was the removable rear seat which made a great settee for the beach (if you could be bothered to carry it there!)

Another Singer in a rather less well maintained state! Not there any more - the plot's been developed!

DSCN0416.jpg

A year later, it had deteriorated a bit more. Not seen it but I was told that the grille was now a wall decoration in a vintage themed bar/café.

crete 0904 1 (40).jpg

The wreck I posted was in Chania, Crete. Not seen many vintage Singers here TBH. Only the sewing machines! There are a few of the later rebadged Hillmans but not common.

This one's a bit special. Not many 8 Litres about - I think a certain Jay Leno has most of them and has transplanted their motors into other chassis. http://www.vintagebentleys.org/carpages/gw1571.php

Hi, any vintage Bentley is a sensation here, of course. They showed lots of Bentleys to celebrate the anniversary in Schwetzingen.

Naturally, the question is whether modern Bentleys are still "real" Bentleys. The Continental is said to have the same chassis as the PORSCHE Panamera.

But I could live with that (quite happily) ... --- :

L1019017_DxO-z35d-c-tp.jpg

A few years ago, Audi and Bentley filled the podium at (IIRC) Le Mans and the commentator remarked "So, that's a 1, 2, 3 for VW!"

To some, any Bentley made after RR took them over in 1931 isn't a real Bentley!

A few years ago, Audi and Bentley filled the podium at (IIRC) Le Mans and the commentator remarked "So, that's a 1, 2, 3 for VW!" ...

If one wanted, one could go even further. Only 25% of the parts of a German car are produced by the original car-companies, 75% come from suppliers.

So, there are no real "Mercedes" cars any more ... ---

On the other hand, the famous Mercedes G-class is produced by Magna Steyr in Austria, which does not make it less popular or desirable.

Audi TT sport limited edition - 1 of only 800 produced for UK market.
Not a great picture, but a fantastic car. Only had the privilege of owning it for 6 months.
240Bhp and 0-62mph in 5.9 secs !
P1000363.JPG

Audi TT sport limited edition - 1 of only 800 produced for UK market.
Not a great picture, but a fantastic car. Only had the privilege of owning it for 6 months.
240Bhp and 0-62mph in 5.9 secs !

A great car! My brother in law had one before he married ... ---

An Aston Martin:

D80_1922-N70c-tp.jpg

Mk 9s aren't too common, even over here. Mk 8s are ever rarer, hence my assumption that it's a 9 - they're identical in appearance apart from the boot badge (and there are probably a few 8 with 9 badges to make them look newer!)

Mk 9s aren't too common, even over here. Mk 8s are ever rarer, hence my assumption that it's a 9 - they're identical in appearance apart from the boot badge (and there are probably a few 8 with 9 badges to make them look newer!)

Hi, I must fetch a book to tell them apart. But both are beautiful ... ---

The only difference is the badge! Well, the only VISIBLE difference is the badge; the Mk 9 had better brakes.

Back