CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Hi, at my local dealer :

DSC02737-nex5-min35.jpg

DSC02736-nex5-min35.jpg

Still my current favourite. - But it is made in U.S.A. ... --- :

DSC02740-nex5-m35.jpg

DSC02735-nex5-min35.jpg

DSC02741-nex5-m35.jpg

"Oh, look - a Rolls Royce with a funny radiator!" [/wobfan]!!!

Hi, a MAYBACH, a brand Mercedes try and tried to revive (AUDI did not try this with HORCH) :

D80_0725-n70-tp.jpg

Not that much, probably. Bentley owners/drivers/enthusiasts will buy the Bentley and Merc. o/d/e will go for the Maybach.

Not that much, probably. Bentley owners/drivers/enthusiasts will buy the Bentley and Merc. o/d/e will go for the Maybach.

Yes, but BENTLEY boys (and girls) would stay within the same brand, whereas MAYBACH is being positioned as a higher-level brand above the normal Mercedes cars,
which means a step up in a way, but also in price.

MAYBACHs are sold in substantial numbers, but more to Asia and the US. Here, in Germany, they are rarely seen ...

I think that's the first of your shots that shows why everything at the shows has to have a drip tray! Mind you, the white/grey car behind looks like it's bleeding a bit too.

I think that's the first of your shots that shows why everything at the shows has to have a drip tray! Mind you, the white/grey car behind looks like it's bleeding a bit too.

Hi, these are the rules nowadays in Germany to prevent oil from getting into the ground. This applies to all cars.

When cars meet before the start of vintage-car rallyes, cardboard is used. Otherwise, the event would not get a permission from the authorities.

Last edited:
Hi, another two-stroke DKW (which seen as sporty in its days ...) :

D80_1974-n70.jpg

I had the Vauxhall equivalent - A Firenza. Not the Droop Snoot version, just the coupé version of the HC Viva with the 2.3 litre engine. Went well until the radiator mount broke, dropping the radiator hose onto the bottom pulley causing a fatal loss of coolant! The chap who does my bike MOTs has a Firenza with a Rover V8 in it. Goes even better than mine did!!!

I had the Vauxhall equivalent - A Firenza. Not the Droop Snoot version, just the coupé version of the HC Viva with the 2.3 litre engine. Went well until the radiator mount broke, dropping the radiator hose onto the bottom pulley causing a fatal loss of coolant! The chap who does my bike MOTs has a Firenza with a Rover V8 in it. Goes even better than mine did!!!

Hi, the Manta was quite popular at the time, offering good value for money. OPEL had the slogan Viel Auto für's Geld ... ---

Basic translation = Lots of motor for your money?

Basic translation = Lots of motor for your money?

Well, more a lot of car for your money, referring to the competition BMW and Mercedes charging much more for the same performance. ---

L1018958_DxO-z35d-c-tp.jpg

L1018959_DxO-z35d-c-tp.jpg

L1018960_DxO-z35d-c-tp.jpg

Never come across Rally as a car manufacturer before. Pretty little things. Guessing at British but that's purely based on both the posted examples being right hand drive.

Back