CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Aha! The Rometsch Beeskow A.K.A. "the Beetle Banana"! :coat:

Hi, this shows for me, how difficult car styling is, and how taste changes over time. - In the past, reactions may have been different ... ---

Everybody likes a vintage PORSCHE :

D80_2113-n70c.jpg

Not a Beetle fan but wouldn't mind a Thing (or a proper Kubelwagen!)

Not a Beetle fan but wouldn't mind a Thing (or a proper Kubelwagen!)

Hi, very few Käfer survived (and even fewer Kübelwagen, being rarer), because in the middle 60s they were typical beginner cars, costing 400 - 700 DM. They were simply run down, and scrapped ... ---

More PORSCHE survived, but quite a lot of the early models fell into the wrong hands, had a VW engine installed, and were run down, too ... ---

D80_2118-n70c.jpg

I remember back in the late '70s/early '80s seeing a Beetle with a double row of intake trumpets poking out of the front bonnet. Saw the same car a while later with the one piece (presumably fibreglass) body flipped up, revealing a large V8 of some sort on a clever chassis. At the same show was a Frogeye Sprite with a Rover V8 - the seats were almost over the rear axle!

I remember back in the late '70s/early '80s seeing a Beetle with a double row of intake trumpets poking out of the front bonnet. Saw the same car a while later with the one piece (presumably fibreglass) body flipped up, revealing a large V8 of some sort on a clever chassis. At the same show was a Frogeye Sprite with a Rover V8 - the seats were almost over the rear axle!

Hi, here we typically had conversions of Porsche engines in VWs, and vice versa. But this seems to have stopped when Porsche moved to bigger, 6-cylinder engines.

Nowadays, everyone wants maximal originality, and you only get an H-plate (see above) then.

I've seen someone get a RangeRover stuck in a similar situation to that. Possibly a bit wetter but not really bad (until he started gunning it and digging in!) Might be capable off road but not in those boots!

I've seen someone get a RangeRover stuck in a similar situation to that. Possibly a bit wetter but not really bad (until he started gunning it and digging in!) Might be capable off road but not in those boots!

Hi, the owner came in his Range to check progress at the building site. No danger of getting stuck, because he could simply reverse downhill ... ---

The car is not used for off-roading, I think. But the owner may have to tow a boat or a trailer every now and then.

Even that is beyond some people's skill set!

Very few of the higher priced 4X4s ever see real off roading.

Another Modified Rover.....Perhaps not as desirable!
Beccles Resized Rover.jpg

Hi, a very rare HANOMAG :

L1002723_DxO-L50c-2.jpg

L1002724_DxO-L50c-2-c.jpg

L1002722_DxO-L50c-4-c.jpg

There was a German children's rhyme at the time:

Ein Pfund Blech und ein Pfund Lack,
fertig ist der HANOMAG

Translated roughly :

One pound of paint and one pound of steel
put a HANOMAG on keel

(I 'm a poet,
no one knows it ( :D ))

Reactions: EJB
The first car that I drove abroad (trip to Liso de Jesolo, hauling the old caravan!). Cortina 1500GT !
qqSq4OH.jpg

When we were young!

Opel Rekord Copy Clrd.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, for sharing you memories, Pixbarmy and EJB! (y)

I did not find a Cortina in my files. - The OPEL is quite rare, even here, close to Rüsselsheim, where they were made ... :

DSC00586-a7r2-2-c.jpg

DSC00585-a7r2-2-c.jpg

Back