Clear then misty Trossachs

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I tend to stop landscape photography in the summer so with Autumn finally here and the prospect of a clear night and a misty morning I braved the cold in the Mondeo for an overnighter. Way out of practice but still got a few I am happy with. The Loch Lomond astro was spoiled by the comet trails(I think that is what they were) which lingered for a good hour falling gently through the sky.

Loch Ard Boathouse by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Loch Ard Cross by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Loch Rusky by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Lomond Astro by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Mist isn’t my thing - I prefer clearer views but it works here due to the wonderful colours of the sunrise. Great reflections too.

Bit longer to wait for the autumn colours. It’s very cold now but the best autumn colours are about a month off
There is a bit of colour down here in Midlothian already but as you say the best will be a month away. I think they take the boats in on the loch so you don'y get both. It really was a cracking morning.

There is a bit of colour down here in Midlothian already but as you say the best will be a month away. I think they take the boats in on the loch so you don'y get both. It really was a cracking morning.

It’s coming. I could take or leave the boats tbh - you got great reflections and light.

Saturday morning in Glencoe was a pea soup - nothing doing for the workshopper and I. August and September can be like that - the bitterly cold evenings and warm days create this situation of mist/fog. You got the right balance - enough to be interesting but not so much to block the light and obscure the view.

First shot I like - might just dial the exposure down a tad but this is a very strong series for a mornings work.

It’s coming. I could take or leave the boats tbh - you got great reflections and light.

Saturday morning in Glencoe was a pea soup - nothing doing for the workshopper and I. August and September can be like that - the bitterly cold evenings and warm days create this situation of mist/fog. You got the right balance - enough to be interesting but not so much to block the light and obscure the view.

First shot I like - might just dial the exposure down a tad but this is a very strong series for a mornings work.
Thanks, I actually had a proper go at processing these. Normally after a couple of sliders I'm doing as much harm as good. I went for a lighter rendition so it is intended but looking again the jetty is very light in particular.

I tend to stop landscape photography in the summer so with Autumn finally here and the prospect of a clear night and a misty morning I braved the cold in the Mondeo for an overnighter. Way out of practice but still got a few I am happy with. The Loch Lomond astro was spoiled by the comet trails(I think that is what they were) which lingered for a good hour falling gently through the sky.

Loch Ard Boathouse by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Loch Ard Cross by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Lomond Astro by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
4, 5 & 6 are sublime to me, really lovely shots so the mist and boats have worked to your advantage.
"The Loch Lomond astro was spoiled by the comet trails(I think that is what they were) which lingered for a good hour falling gently through the sky" Are you kidding me, as long as they are comet trails that is great and worth getting in a astro photo, plane lights are a big PITA as far as I am concerned.
Thanks for posting these lovely shots.

4, 5 & 6 are sublime to me, really lovely shots so the mist and boats have worked to your advantage.
"The Loch Lomond astro was spoiled by the comet trails(I think that is what they were) which lingered for a good hour falling gently through the sky" Are you kidding me, as long as they are comet trails that is great and worth getting in a astro photo, plane lights are a big PITA as far as I am concerned.
I'll post one up. Just a line of smoke across the frame

I should have said Meteor trails rather than Comet. I thought this was from planes but Meteors were widely reported on Saturday/Sunday and someone that seemed to know their stuff said that this was what I was seeing in the night sky. The trails gently fell through the sky from very high up almost down to the horizon. This was shot around 2am and we never caught any plane lights in the shots that evening

Attachments

• _8509735.jpg
    _8509735.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 6
Really nice set! Agree with above, can't pick a favourite.

I should have said Meteor trails rather than Comet. I thought this was from planes but Meteors were widely reported on Saturday/Sunday and someone that seemed to know their stuff said that this was what I was seeing in the night sky. The trails gently fell through the sky from very high up almost down to the horizon. This was shot around 2am and we never caught any plane lights in the shots that evening

Sorry, that's a boring old, really annoying, contrail from an airliner too high up for you to see its lights. They're a real nuisance but.............

Sorry, that's a boring old, really annoying, contrail from an airliner too high up for you to see its lights. They're a real nuisance but.............
Thanks that was my thoughts too bit the person who said it posted a video of the meteor that night and it looked the same. The trail fell down the sky over the course of an hour. Ruined the image for me whatever it was.

Thanks that was my thoughts too bit the person who said it posted a video of the meteor that night and it looked the same. The trail fell down the sky over the course of an hour. Ruined the image for me whatever it was.

Meteor 'trails' don't 'fall down the sky'. They're shooting stars - you see them sometimes only for a split second, a bit longer if it's a really big bright one. If you catch one on a night sky image it's definitely a keeper. Contrails are up at 37000 ft or whatever the airliner's flying at and get pushed along by the upper atmospheric wind, which'll be pretty strong but the distance makes everything appear very slow. Fewer planes fly at night than during the day but there are certain places where lots of routes converge.

That`s a bigger shame you didn`t get that in the shot of it flying past, I missed one by about a minute a few years ago and the "experts" said it was the ISS flying over lolololol Well I know the difference.

Here was the story the person was referring to. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla...G14R-ahDTdHX54oaBBgoV5vMNREPab7tLShQOGDMFecWg

My knowledge of the night sky goes as far as loading Photopills on my phone and pointing it to see where the Milky Way will be. Cheers for the clarification

You'd have done well to see that one from the Trossachs :) Went down the English Channel (well, over, anyway). I did once see a daylight fireball meteor that I saw break up. I thought at first it was a very big firework...........ooops :LOL:. I've seen a few fireballs at night but none of them broke up.

Back