weekly Clives TP 52 2017 Week 51 Festive

The bottle does look a little off but the OoF glass doesn't look too bad, nicel light and good DoF

Hi Clive.
A couple of points.
1. Black & White points. Set the black point to the man on the black & white sign, set the white point to the whitest part of the out of order sign. It will stop the image looking washed out.
2. Converging verticals. You've evidently taken the image pointing down, hence perspective converges the verticals. Sometime you can avoid this in camera, sometimes you can't. In PS you can skew out the image at the bottom (both sides by the same amount), to correct the convergence.

Spot on theme though, but 5 mins in an editor would improve it greatly.
(y)

:agree: but it was a great spot and fab for the theme (y)

Liking the Southern Comfort shot a lot. It gives me a warm feeling with the choice of the fire in the background. (y)

Not sure if I want the glass in the same focus plane as the bottle but I would like to see a little more of that lovely fire. (y)

I like it. (y)

The last of the proper old SC bottles, good & sharp, suitably wonky, fading into oblivion ....

Great photo! Glass is notoriously difficult to photograph, but you pulled it off. Nice composition and DoF.

Now a mini catch up.... Week 3 the theme....hairy I sat in bed with my camera, the wife asked why so I innocently reply " this weeks theme is hairy" "NO!" she says leaving me without plan A. A week later and its smooth, so there I am in bed again with the camera and a razor....I woke up in hospital with a sore head and feeling fairly delicate in the sitting down area....
Any way Olympus servicing have cleaned up the camera and its working fine now...:olympus::)

Spot on theme-wise Clive and three good takes at that. My fave is Mineral - beautiful variety of textures and colours.

Nice selection of stones, they do seem to be floating though

Great catch up! My favourite are the colourful stones for mineral.

Great catch up there Clive.

I remember those trolls, I'm sure I used to have one and that's a great idea using the iPad for a background :p

Nice composition with the two shells and the lighting is good too (y)

My fave is the mineral shot though with the different textures and colours.

OOOhhh, Isabelle would like them :)

Did you do any post processing? I can see a few flaws around the edges of the pebbles.

Nice low angle and dof works well.

Cheers

OOOhhh, Isabelle would like them :)

Did you do any post processing? I can see a few flaws around the edges of the pebbles.

Nice low angle and dof works well.

Cheers
I used a black fleece as a background and it had lots of specks on it so I did try removing them but struggded close to the pebbles.

Last edited:
Three good photos there Clive ...that's a cute hairy troll, I also really like the shells, they have an old style seaside postcard look ...good idea to put them on that background. The minerals are very eye catching ...beautiful colours, really nicely done. I find black card is really handy for backgrounds.

Hi Clive,
Blimey, you were further behind than me!!!
Hairy - Using a device for the background seems to have been quite popular so far this year, not something I've seen over the past couple. It definitely seems to work and adds another dimension.
Smooth - Yup, okay, that works too. Quite like the muted complimentary colours you've used.
Mineral - I agree with Allan, whilst they are nicely captured, they need to be anchored to the ground, else they will float away.

Yes, it's a shoehorn, but nice photo.

Well, I think you may have edged the shoehorn Clive ... but Mr.C @Cobra hasn't posted yet so there's a good chance you'll miss out on the award.

Week 7 Structure

The Emirates Spinnaker Tower Portsmouth.
One from a morning trip over to the Isle of Wight the b&w night shot taken on the return trip hand held not easy to get it sharp on a moving boat!
Week 7 Structure 2.JPG
Week 7 Structure.jpg

Looks like the weather was no better on your return than leaving Clive. B&W has the drama and highlights the tower well. Love the mist/fog around the top light. Could perhaps do with a slight levelling up; the boat must have been rocking!!

I prefer the first Clive - more imposing and scaled with that ferry in shot.

Back