Clonmel Races - Last Meeting in Dublin

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday saw the last horse racing meeting in Ireland as all sport is binned following the COVID-19 outbreak. Real shame as racing had survived for a week or so behind closed doors, and I thought it would continue. But understand the reasons.

Clonmel is a great little track, tucked away near on a hill, with mountains on two sides. My father's uncle used to be a bookmaker out of Thurles ("tur-les") Co. Tipperary, many many years ago, so imagine he would have visited this track to make his living. He was well regarded in the industry as despite having an English accent, he spoke fluent Irish. A skill and effort not lost on locals. "Don't dilly-dally, bet with Daly" was his call according to my Dad.

Here are some photos from the meeting.

No.5 - I've really been trying to shoot chase jumps as tight as possible recently, almost ignoring the landing, just trying to get that lovely tuck over the top of the jump.
No.6 - As the call to scrap racing was called during this meeting, I was thinking about what the paper might want, maybe a 'sun sets on Irish racing' style photo.
no.7 - Same as above. Irish racing is now closed so a picture of someone locking the gates always works.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/775498834/

1901603.jpg

1901624.jpg

1901599.jpg

Last edited:
Back