Wild Close-up Swan

I had that lens on my Sony a7Riv - I rarely use it now, Having bought the Sony 200-600mm :)

Les :)
Haha thanks for the encouragement that i don't need to buy more kit :D

I have shot similar photos at my local park this weekend with a Sigma 100-400 DG DN on my Sony A7R III :). You should try that out too.

I have shot similar photos at my local park this weekend with a Sigma 100-400 DG DN on my Sony A7R III :). You should try that out too.
Oh cool. I'll have a look at them :)

Looks a little soft to me - sorry :(
Sony 100 400 is a brilliant lens and probably better than sigma.

In my shot the Swan just took its head out of water so the feathers are not going to look sharp. Also the photo I uploaded was resampled so that had to do something with the overall sharpness too.

Last edited:
Sony 100 400 is a brilliant lens and probably better than sigma.

In my shot the Swan just took its head out of water so the feathers are not going to look sharp. Also the photo I uploaded was resampled so that had to do something with the overall sharpness too.

Eeven with wet feathers- just a little soft for my taste, sorry :) - I too have the Sony 100-400mm but prefer to use my Sony 200-600mm giving better range I also use a Sony a7Riii but more often than not my Sony a7Riv and soon to own Sony a9ii

Last edited by a moderator:
Eeven with wet feathers- just a little soft for my taste, sorry :) - I too have the Sony 100-400mm but prefer to use my Sony 200-600mm giving better range I also use a Sony a7Riii but more often than not my Sony a7Riv and soon to own Sony a9ii

Not jealous in the slightest :giggle: I am going to trade up to the Riii from the iii shortly though, just to give me more options with cropping etc.

Not jealous in the slightest :giggle: I am going to trade up to the Riii from the iii shortly though, just to give me more options with cropping etc.

You see a noticeable difference in the Riii version those 42MP's are a delight for cropping- so, the 61 MP's on my R iv will blow your mind - good luck in your bird photography quest and maybe give the 200-600mm FE lens a look- amazing lens in my opinion and unlike the 100-4000mm it does not extend when you zoom in/out

and gets you images like this

DSC07508 Little Egret on Estuary by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Back