weekly Cloudforest's 52 for 2020. Week 52 Decorate

The cookies are nice on their own TBH.
Perhaps include the whole cup and lose the Milk (?) jug?

Nicely processed (y)

Thanks Chris.

I was running out of light or I would have tried a few more variations.

Nicely constructed image for Pleasure Pete lovely detail and colours (it's made me hungry and as I'm on the starve day of my 5:2 diet I can only wish ?I could have a cookie!)

Thanks Mark,

I wasn't supposed to be eating cookies either but......!

Second shot I've looked at with food.. now I'm really hungry! Nice composition. I would have tried pulling out slightly as well just for comparison. You'll have to buy more cookies ;)

Thanks Helen,

I tried a wider one but settled on this as it eliminated a bit more background.

I really shouldn't buy more cookies!

Last edited:
Colour all go together nicely Pete, if it had been mine then the cookies would of been eaten before the shot.

Thanks Dave,

I did have to taste the first one out of the packet before I took the shot as it was a little bit broken!

Interesting composition, I like it when people aren't afraid of tight cropped compositions :)
I'm intrigued by the exposure settings (ISO400, f/16, 1 sec and Flash fired). What was the thought behind that?
(I can see f/16 for the DoF, but not sure on the ISO/ShutterSpeed combined with Flash)

Thanks Tim,

I don't mind a tight composition sometimes. especially when working with a small background.

The natural light was mainly from the back, so I threw in a flash light through a soft box from the side and bounced some of the light of a white card in front of the camera. It just filled in a little.

Haven't quite got to grips with using the Godox speedlites properly yet.

Great image Pete, full of crispy goodness!(y)
Excellent detail in the biccies, and the colours are very nice.

Thanks Gareth,

I'm hoping there's no more challenges where I need to photograph (and then eat!) food for a while.

Looks delicious and works very well as a photo. I like the vibrant colours and the composition.

Looking vaguely like the levers in a Signal Box. They certainly had me intrigued on the main thread.
I think they fit the theme, they are used by someone to do something...
Anyway, I like the angle, and composition, how you've managed to get both of the rods to sit against each other like that (y)

I like this, interesting composition and the whites are nice and white.

Looking vaguely like the levers in a Signal Box. They certainly had me intrigued on the main thread.
I think they fit the theme, they are used by someone to do something...
Anyway, I like the angle, and composition, how you've managed to get both of the rods to sit against each other like that (y)

Thanks Tim.

The far one is a separate one on the other side of the glass. I just chose the angle I thought showed them both.

I like this, interesting composition and the whites are nice and white.

Thanks Roger, thats much appreciated.

Definitely like signal box levers! Looks like the handle has been repositioned a few times. A lot nicer looking than the modern versions.

A good find for the theme, well composed you've handled the whites nicely.

Very nice shot - I like the way you have retained enough of the background detail that we can tell what is going on, but just nicely blurred.

Off topic, I also respect the person that carefully arranged all the screw heads vertically - they take pride in their work.

Off topic, I also respect the person that carefully arranged all the screw heads vertically - they take pride in their work.

I noticed that a proper craftsman I would imagine not something most 'tradesmen' would consider doing now

Week 1 bang on with the theme and technique
Week 2 great colours and also bang on theme, they look rather tasty :)
Week 3 cracking image and works well with the angles, my favourite of the lot.

Interesting interpretation Pete.
Its certainly different, and it seems more complicated than it needs to be TBH :D

Whilst the rest of us headed into the garage, workshop or kitchen you and a few others headed off outside. Lovely photo, loving the laying of the 2 rods and the beautiful whites, great composition.

Nice levering thingie - and yes it does look like a signal box levering thingie :)

Definitely like signal box levers! Looks like the handle has been repositioned a few times. A lot nicer looking than the modern versions.
I love the Victorian engineering in historic garden buildings.

There was a lot of technology and innovation in those old conservatories and green houses. Well spotted.
Thanks Clive.

I really like the almost mirror like "reflection" of the rear lever - very well seen!
Thanks @Shugpug

A good find for the theme, well composed you've handled the whites nicely.
Thanks Mark. I think the blue sky helps to show up the whites quite nicely.

Week 1 bang on with the theme and technique
Week 2 great colours and also bang on theme, they look rather tasty :)
Week 3 cracking image and works well with the angles, my favourite of the lot.
Thanks Paul. Much appreciated.

Nicely composed and lovely soft lighting.
Thanks Helen.

Interesting interpretation Pete.
Its certainly different, and it seems more complicated than it needs to be TBH :D
Cheers Chris. I went there hoping to find some old garden tools but that didn't quite work, so this was an alternative.

Whilst the rest of us headed into the garage, workshop or kitchen you and a few others headed off outside. Lovely photo, loving the laying of the 2 rods and the beautiful whites, great composition.
Thanks Heather. To be honest, I couldn't find anything of interest in the garage and the dog needed a walk, so I headed off in search of something.

Nice levering thingie - and yes it does look like a signal box levering thingie :)
Cheers Dave.

Really like this shot Pete, a great angle to get both the handles in view with good lighting and a great POV.
Thanks Dave. The lighting was just about right, so a stroke of luck really.

Very nice shot - I like the way you have retained enough of the background detail that we can tell what is going on, but just nicely blurred.

Thanks Paul. I was out with a newish lens, so experimenting to see what I could do with a largish aperture.

They remind me of signal box levers too. great whites

I like the 'reflection' through the glass that isn't quite the same. Great find!

I really like the tones and the warm light is lovely!(y)
Very nicely taken image Pete!
Great use of depth of field to give just enough context.
It's certainly a tool...if it's worked by hand, then that's a tool in my book!
Thanks Gareth. The light was lovely last Sunday and it was good to be out taking pictures for a couple of hours.

Something a little different for the theme, well spotted :)

Well spotted, Paul.! I liked it immediately from a photography point of view, with the bright uprights and diagonals set off against the blue sky, but it's also a really interesting and clearly old handle assembly in the foreground. The main subject is large in the frame and sharp, and clearly a tool to do a specific job, as you say. Definitely one of my favourites for this theme (y)

Something a little different for the theme, well spotted :)
Thanks Rick

Well spotted, Paul.! I liked it immediately from a photography point of view, with the bright uprights and diagonals set off against the blue sky, but it's also a really interesting and clearly old handle assembly in the foreground. The main subject is large in the frame and sharp, and clearly a tool to do a specific job, as you say. Definitely one of my favourites for this theme (y)
Thanks Andrea. I'm quite enjoying the challenge of my first 52.

Back