weekly Cloudforest's 52 for 2020. Week 52 Decorate

I agree Pete, the colour is gorgeous. Good dof and those water droplets make a lovely image.
Thanks Helen.

Seemed to have missed your needle shot good use of depth of field and nicely composed agree about the colour on your flowers the water droplets add something too
Thanks Allan, for your comments on both pics.

Colours work well and the droplets add to it.
No issue with the lighting from me, I like strong light, it gives strong contrasts.
Cheers Tim.

The water drops make the image more interesting.
Thanks Phil. I'd just watered and thought I'd try a couple of pics.

Great colour, nice detail and the water makes it better.
Cheers Clive.

The colour is beautiful and the water droplets just add that extra special touch.
Thanks Stan. Much appreciated.

Nice colours, Pete, and as already said the droplets add a little je ne sais quoi to it.
Merci Chris.

That's a superb shot! Looks like they're stiking their tongues out to catch a drop ;)
Thanks Dave.

Really nice detail on your SC image., the colours are really nice and the DoF really works well.
Cheers Jim.

Nice, the water droplets certainly draw the eye to it as well.
Much appreciated Graham.

Small: Excellent use of DoF The colours work really well too.

Snappers Choice: Very nice detail and colour.
Thanks Mark.

Week 26 Mother Nature.

Another one from the garden. These Rose Campions are growing in the gaps between paving slabs and are thriving on neglect! Not shot on the 90mm macro for once.

TP52 Week 26 by Peter C, on Flickr

Hi Pete

I like the colour and DOF of the main flower against the muted background. Top Shot. There is a small yellow dot on one of the lower petals, not sure if its should be there or not (It shows more on Flickr.

Pete

That's quite some separation between the subject and background, it almost looks unreal! Lovely gradients in the flower.

That flower really does stand out perfect bit of focus and depth of field

Great colours - the droplets make it, and the DoF force the eyes to focus on the most relevant point. Nicely done.

For Mother Nature - the separation is almost too much for me. But the colours are stunning.

Last edited:
Nice flower shot Pete :)

Hi Pete

I like the colour and DOF of the main flower against the muted background. Top Shot. There is a small yellow dot on one of the lower petals, not sure if its should be there or not (It shows more on Flickr.

Pete
Thanks Pete. The yellow dot was on the petal and I was going to take it out but forgot!

Nice detail and composition, and a nice colour too.
Thanks Clive.

That's quite some separation between the subject and background, it almost looks unreal! Lovely gradients in the flower.
Thanks Graham

Very nice image for Mother Nature Pete

That flower really does stand out perfect bit of focus and depth of field
Thanks Allan.

Great colours - the droplets make it, and the DoF force the eyes to focus on the most relevant point. Nicely done.

For Mother Nature - the separation is almost too much for me. But the colours are stunning.
Cheers Alex. It was a bit of an experiment with that focal length but the separation made it a bit different from my usual pics of flowers.

Interesting effect around the in focus flower. I know it isn't, but it has the effect of an un-feathered mask and composite.
Thanks Tim.

Nice flower shot Pete :)
Cheers for that Dave.

Very nice image for Mother Nature Pete
Thanks again Mark.

Week 27 Signs

I've always liked this as I've driven past and today, picked the worst day possible to photograph it.

TP52 Week 27 by Peter C, on Flickr

Last edited:
At first glance I thought that someones toy plane had got stuck in a tree :D

I'm not sure it was the worst day to photograph it, for me the flat grey sky really sets the rest of the image off, not sure if a blue/cloudy sky would have worked so well. Plenty of interest and nice colours and the foliage really works to draw the eye around the image.

Nice sign - "Toy planes ahead?"

Nice signage and good colours to contrast with the grey sky.
Thanks Clive.
I'm not sure it was the worst day to photograph it, for me the flat grey sky really sets the rest of the image off, not sure if a blue/cloudy sky would have worked so well. Plenty of interest and nice colours and the foliage really works to draw the eye around the image.
Cheers Jim. You're right about the grey sky setting the colours off.

Very colourful shot... and if very sunny there may have been too much shadow.

Interesting sign I see what you mean about the sky but its not to bad

Very colourful shot... and if very sunny there may have been too much shadow.
The colours make it - sure the sky is a little dull, but the would have been hellish contrast otherwise I'm guessing.
A good colourful photo. I like the textures in the sign.
Interesting contrast of the old sign and shiny model plane.
Sign - Nice and colourful draws you in to the image.

Thanks everyone. It seems that it didn't turn out too bad after all and it was worth getting wet for.

Interesting old keys Pete,
As mentioned well lit too.

That's a really well thought out, and executed image. You've got the light bang on and a lovely amount of detail. Also, smack on the theme.

Good clean white background.
It's like a Goldilocks scene, one's too big, one's too small and one's just right.

Nicely lit Pete you have lost the shadows really well
Thanks Clive. It's diffused natural light and a tinfoil reflector in front of the camera.

Nicely composed picture and bang on theme
Thanks Allan.

Nice take and very well set out.
Cheers Bob.

Interesting old keys Pete,
As mentioned well lit too.
Thanks Chris. The two larger ones are keys to medieval churches and I thought I'd add the modern one for size comparison.

Bang on for the theme.
Very well shot with the even lighting on the background, but dunno, I think I'd like to have seen some context... Maybe...
Thanks Tim. I was going to take a shot with the key in the church door but the church was 40 minutes drive away and as usual I didn't shoot it until 20 minutes before work on a Thursday morning!

Great technique shown there on the lighting - nice collection of old keys.
Many thanks Alex.

Nice composition of keys old and modern.
Cheers Phil.

That's a really well thought out, and executed image. You've got the light bang on and a lovely amount of detail. Also, smack on the theme.
Thanks Jim. There was a certain amount of Lightroom work to bring out a bit more detail.

Good clean white background.
It's like a Goldilocks scene, one's too big, one's too small and one's just right.
Thanks Dominic. That's a good way of looking at it.

This Cosmic 35 was my first ever camera. My Dad bought it for me around 1973 and I think it cost £4.95 from Fred Hargreaves Cameras in Wath upon Dearne. My Dad was a keen photographer, although most of his life he shot slides with a Kodak Instamatic, which had two settings Sunny or Cloudy.

This little 35mm camera and my Dad's enthusiasm led me into the fascinating world of taking pictures and will always bring back happy memories of him.

TP52 Week 29 by Peter C, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back