Clywedog Waterfall

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
So my 7 year old bought me a Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2 for Fathers day - I am very lucky ! So we had to go out and try it.........

Plas Power Waterfall by Richard Breland, on Flickr

I think the waterfall is called Plas Power? Took a bit of a trek to find it, but it was worth it. All comments gratefully received. The lens seems pretty awesome - this is straight out of the box (no AF fine tuning as the initial tests it seems spot on).

Some PP in Photoshop as it was pretty dark under the trees. The image is actually 2 blended together..the top third was exposed for the bright sky/background and the bottom 2/3rds for the water/fall, etc. The lens is takes an 82mm filter and I haven't got an adapter yet !

Think it could have done with a polarising filter ?

Thanks for looking :)

I'm a total noob so take this with a pinch of salt but I'd be tempted to PS out the twigs in the water to the left of centre, they're a bit distracting

Nice work and nice greens.

Also, that’s a great gift to receive for Father’s Day. Your 7 year old is a star! I acquired the very same lens last week, although sadly not for Father’s Day, my first trip out with it was this weekend too

Good location and composition, I like the low viewpoint.
Are the twigs that or an Artefact from the blending, but having looked large I think I agree it's slightly distracting.
Good composite image though.

The only blending is really the top of the image (above the water fall) and even then, it is really only the exposure that was blended as the top was really bright, the actual image is exactly the same 'tree/branch-wise' (it was 2 shots taken straight after each other, camera on tripod, different exposures so the highlights weren't blown......all because I couldn't use a filter as I haven't got an 82mm adapter yet).

The twigs, etc. are all 'as is' - they were all present at the time. I think they are 'noticeable' as the water is blurred due to the 5 second exposure, but the twigs are not IYSWIM. I guess I could clone them out, but isn't there some unwritten rule that the scene should be shot as nature intended ;)

Thanks for the comments :)

Considered toning it down, Richard? Like…

Plas%20Power%20Waterfall%201.jpg

Thanks Kodiak - is that the overall brightness you have tweaked. It is easy to overdo things in PP, so happy to take your advice :)

Last edited:
Nice image and gift. Can your 7 year old daughter talk to my 7 year old daughter please :)

A polarizer wouldn't work here in my opinion.

You'd have lost the lovely green reflection in the water and this balances the image.

The twigs don't bother me, I didn't notice them until they were mentioned.

Back