weekly Cobra's 2020 cataclysmic catastrophes Week 52 decorate and done!

Excellent shot.. amazing how they have an oddly characterful face close-up... still give me the creeps though!

Excellent shot.. amazing how they have an oddly characterful face close-up... still give me the creeps though!
Thanks Helen. Cute aren't they ? (y)

Excellent camouflaged critter, but how do you get the little buggers to stay still and pose for you?
Cheers Clive (y)
My secret? super glue on the rocks :D

Mid afternoon when its at its hottest, they'll bask.
I Just get roughly into the position I know where they are, (Hiding under the bamboo) and sooner or later they'll turn up.

Loving your shots of late Chris. Such excellent creativity from the Shoe-Horn Master :p
Absolutely cracking shot of the spider. Very nicely done and well worth your patience :clap:

Loving your shots of late Chris. Such excellent creativity from the Shoe-Horn Master :p
Absolutely cracking shot of the spider. Very nicely done and well worth your patience :clap:
Thanks for the kind comments Lee :)

Week 17 more than 1

Probably one of the most challenging Bonsai's is the "group" or "forest"
Multiple tree's in a shallow container. ( there is actually 7. Bonsai tradition has it that multiple plantings should always be odd numbers)
These are rowan that I grew as individual trees from no more than matchsticks.,
They were planted like this, a couple of years ago, into a training pot, it takes about 3 years for the roots to entwine.
After that they can (hopefully) be planted out into their next pot en mass...
For now though they are growing pretty much "wild" with little or no intervention.

Trees.jpg

And of course Harry had to get involved, playing hide and seek with his doppelgangers ( 4 merged images)
Although he doesn't quite seem to have got the hang of it as yet.

010.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice shot on the #1 Chris, also good to see Harry helping you out.
Thanks Dave, the little b*****d gets everywhere :D

Nice work, Chris. Those Bonsai trees are growing quite happily. I've tried a few times before but never success so what's the secret?
Cheers Stan (y)
And as Clint Eastwood sung "I talk to the trees"
No not really :D
I have failed a few times in the past also. But you need a balance of good substrate,. well drained ..
Plant food and detail to trimming roots and branches.

If you fancy having another try start with a Chinese Elm, price range from about 15 quid -to what ever really.
I won't say they are indestructible, but if you follow a few simple rules, then they are pretty forgiving.
One huge mistake people make is keeping them indoors, that's a nono ..
This time of year, straight outside, and protect from hard frosts and cold winds in the winter.
Don't over water either, summer or winter. Let them almost dry out first.

I love bonsai trees its a real skill and art, they look like they are coming on well, at what point do you start to shape them

I enjoyed the background story to the bonsai and that Harry gets in everywhere, doesn’t he? It all sounds very tricky.

I really like the ‘C’ shots, Harry dicing with death, and a superb spider. Is that a real cobra?

I love bonsai trees its a real skill and art, they look like they are coming on well, at what point do you start to shape them
Cheers Allan. no real shaping will take place on these. They are "uprights" ( a typical forest) and not twisted out of shape, some of the roots (nebari )will be further "exposed" slowly, for a little added interest,
As for the rest, I'll just trim them through the summer so they don't get out of hand and shade each other, too much.

I enjoyed the background story to the bonsai .. It all sounds very tricky.
Thanks Bee.
It takes a lot of patience, and careful training, over time / years ... why the hell I ever got involved I'll never know,
I'm from the I want it now camp :D

Is that a real cobra?
*Off course (y) getting it to sit still for any length of time is tricky though.
Learning how to play the pungi what quite challenging too (y)

(* I "may" have lied :D )

Interesting post... I bought a bonsai Rowan for a friend's birthday recently.. let's hope she can look after it.
You seem to have a bonsai pest problem in #2 ;)

I bought a bonsai Rowan for a friend's birthday recently.. let's hope she can look after it.
They ( Rowan) are fairly "forgiving" just make sure she keeps it outside, to many people assume, because of their "delicate" nature,Bonsai's must be kept inside.
There are very very few that do well inside.

You seem to have a bonsai pest problem in #2 ;)
Yeah he's a right PITA eh? :D

Thanks dropping by Helen :)

Your bonsais look like another challenging hobby! I like the photo of them, especially combined with the detail and backstory you've gone in to.

Love the "pest problem" hide and seek!

Or something to do with the merging process?
They were all shot the same Tim, so I'm guessing its down to the "stack"

No 1 for me Chris lovely DoF and some great lighting on the Bonsai Trees
Cheers Mark, lighting, that's when the sun shone, remember those days? :D

[QUOTE="Cobra, post: 8690768, member: 1870"

Cheers Mark, lighting, that's when the sun shone, remember those days? :D[/QUOTE]

:D Just about I've got the wood burner alight although I'm still in shorts and T-shirt :LOL:

Interesting to hear about the growing of the mini forest.
Can I ask, if you know why trees were first grown like this?

Interesting to hear about the growing of the mini forest.
Can I ask, if you know why trees were first grown like this?
I'm not really sure TBH Dom, all I know is Bonsai's were first recorded in the 6th century in Japan, and were copied
from the Chinese tradition of penjing basically it means "landscaping in miniature"

That's a lovely Bonsai forest Chris - I'm quite envious.

I've always wanted to give it a go but when you said it needed patience.......!

However as I love trees and only have a tiny garden perhaps I should.

How do you protect them in winter? Fleece etc?

That's a lovely Bonsai forest Chris - I'm quite envious.
Thanks Pete :)

However as I love trees and only have a tiny garden perhaps I should.
A quick start method would be to buy something like a Chinese Elm. These can be had from places like eBay from a little as £15 up to a few £100
Get a cheapish one and practice techniques as to trimming root pruning etc.
They are largely "evergreen" some shed some don't its just the way they are.

How do you protect them in winter? Fleece etc?
Most trees will "weather" the winter with minimal help.
Most of the usual stuff is fine down to -10 (Chinese pepper or the Ficus ginseng being the exceptions).
from there protect from frosts and cold winds.
Some people wrap the pots in fleece to protect the roots and or use those cheap polythene green houses. I never have. But my garden is fairly well sheltered.
Try and keep them ( on shelves) above the frost line ( approx 3 feet above the ground)

There is a bit of an "old" thread HERE including more pictures from me

Last edited:
Thanks Pete :)

A quick start method would be to buy something like a Chinese Elm. These can be had from places like eBay from a little as £15 up to a few £100
Get a cheapish one and practice techniques as to trimming root pruning etc.
They are largely "evergreen" some shed some don't its just the way they are.

Most trees will "weather" the winter with minimal help.
Most of the usual stuff is fine down to -10 (Chinese pepper or the Ficus ginseng being the exceptions).
from there protect from frosts and cold winds.
Some people wrap the pots in fleece to protect the roots and or use those cheap polythene green houses. I never have. But my garden is fairly well sheltered.
Try and keep them ( on shelves) above the frost line ( approx 3 feet above the ground)

There is a bit of an "old" thread HERE including more pictures from me
Thanks for all the info Chris and the link to the other thread.

I think i might just give it a try.

I think i might just give it a try.
Now is the time to buy Pete, if you feel inclined.
Many trees are imported by dealers, they were kept in the likes of poly tunnels, so this time of year
they can go straight outside to get acclimatised to our weather during the warmer months, ready for staying out all year.

Bought at the end of the year and they will need a lot of protection. And keeping trees inside for several months ( till the frosts have past) does them no favours.

edit and Oh, once started it tends to get a little addictive ;)

Last edited:
Good shot for your More than one image Chris. Having seen your Bonsai work in other threads, I am always impressed how they look. I too wouldn't mind having a go at tending one although my fingers are very far from green! Nice of Harry to help out too :)

Good shot for your More than one image Chris. Having seen your Bonsai work in other threads, I am always impressed how they look. I too wouldn't mind having a go at tending one although my fingers are very far from green! Nice of Harry to help out too :)
Thanks for your kind comments Lee :)
As above to Pete, try a Chinese elm, if you fancy having a go, , they are fairly "forgiving" and quite hardy (y)
Just don't let them get too wet, or to dry.

OK so I couldn't resist it any longer ... (reprocessed images)
The Lions are singing, I bet you can't guess what though :D

Awhim-away.jpg

And of course Harry has to stick his oar in or should that be sword? ...
Rick Wakeman ( album) the myths and legends of King Arthur .....

032.jpg

Edit, or maybe a tad tighter?

The-Myths-and-legends-of-King-Arthur.jpg

Last edited:
Liking both. The gob shots obviously, and also Harry, especially the reflections.
Cheers Tim (y)

and of course it is :D

Fab Lions

The answer is only a Whim Away.

Who doesn't love a gob shot? ;)

Back