weekly Cobra's 2020 cataclysmic catastrophes Week 52 decorate and done!

Tiny
Good detail there, the tiny pollen stands out well against the dark hairy bits.

Choice
I think a Fuchsia will make a great Bonsai. Some fuchsias have a lovely papery, flakey bark as they mature.

Texture
The fungi texture, against the Oak (well it looks like Oak) tree bark, along with the contrasting colours make for a great texture shot. But how could anyone not love a mummy Rhino and baby shot. Good timing to get that shot.

Tiny
Good detail there, the tiny pollen stands out well against the dark hairy bits.

Choice
I think a Fuchsia will make a great Bonsai. Some fuchsias have a lovely papery, flakey bark as they mature.

Texture
The fungi texture, against the Oak (well it looks like Oak) tree bark, along with the contrasting colours make for a great texture shot.

The Fuchsia is new shoots on an old ground level root.
I want to ( will) encourage short dumpy branches, but that'll take awhile yet.
The buds have now fully opened and there is more coming, but I think its being a bit optimistic this time of year for any more flowers.

Yes I think it was once an Oak.

But how could anyone not love a mummy Rhino and baby shot. Good timing to get that shot.
I guess I should stick to what I know and not try and get all arty farty :D

Thanks for the kind comments Dom (y)

I am way behind on commenting on your photos...

I love the texture on the rhino, but I particularly love the little baby tucked under there. I'll always love the animal pics (Sorry Harry)

Amazingly shallow dish for the fuschia. Can any plant be grown as a bonsai then? Funnily enough I have been looking at fuschias today thinking about what to plant - but I want big ones :)

Teeny tiny pollen - amazing depth of field for such a close up! Is that your juxtaposition technique? It works.

I like the sloth bear best of the camouflaged pics because I don't think I've ever seen one and I like that you've managed eye contact. He's cute.

Great texture in the first one! Only just spotted the Rhino one now, bugger!

The fungi is definitely towing the line on the texture theme.
Cuteness unlimited on the rhino though - Harry just can't compete.

I love the texture on the rhino, but I particularly love the little baby tucked under there. I'll always love the animal pics (Sorry Harry)
Amazingly shallow dish for the fuschia. Can any plant be grown as a bonsai then? Funnily enough I have been looking at fuschias today thinking about what to plant - but I want big ones :)
Teeny tiny pollen - amazing depth of field for such a close up! Is that your juxtaposition technique? It works.
I like the sloth bear best of the camouflaged pics because I don't think I've ever seen one and I like that you've managed eye contact. He's cute.
Thanks for your kind comments Bee, (y) juxtaposition, that was Ants and Aphids, the hunter and the hunted, well farmed anyway ;)
Bonsai's are traditionally tree's as you probably know, but other plants can used as "accent" plants. usually having their growth stunted.
If I put it back in the ground. It will grow "full size" IIRC its called floating cloud or some such as it has large white flowers growing from long stems ...
This one is in for a shock :D
As long as you are careful, you can grow most things in shallow pots, some will even grow in water, or soil-less compounds, such a pearlite or vermiculite

Great texture in the first one! Only just spotted the Rhino one now, bugger!
Thanks Graham (y) That's the original and best ( breed of ) Rhinosaur :D

Nice textures in both, I like the colours in the fungi.
Rhino shot is well timed and again has plenty of texture.
Thanks Clive (y)

The fungi is definitely towing the line on the texture theme.
Cuteness unlimited on the rhino though - Harry just can't compete.

Thanks Helen (y)
I've not seem him in a while, I guess he's sulking from some of the comments, such as your's and others on here :D

Hi Chris

The Rhino is great for the theme, as is the old mould on the tree trunk, It's close but I prefer the rhinos.

Pete

Hi Chris

The Rhino is great for the theme, as is the old mould on the tree trunk, It's close but I prefer the rhinos.

Pete
Thanks Pete,
The Rhino's are the clear winners it seems (y)

Week 37 and onto activity.
I've spent most of the week-end following my other activity.
Re-doing the Bonsai shelves and a couple of re-pots.
A bit off the bottom and a bit off the top and a new pot.
Its amazing the difference that can make.
( Cotoneaster in training)

I'll cover the exposed roots for the winter, and slowly expose them next spring.
For now its resting in a shaded and protected area.

Bs.jpg

I found Harry! well that is he emailed me an image.
( cheeky sod!)
It seems he's been active on these dating sites and found himself a girlfriend.

Harry-+1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Bonsai activity :)

No shoe horn for me - there's growing going on as well as all your activity...

I must admit of never realised how involved bonsais are until I joined this forum...

Glad Harry's still having a good time!

Nice Bonsai activity :)

Thanks Dave (y)
Lovely bonsai trees and you seem to know what you are doing with them. Looks like Harry is having a great time too. :)
Thanks Stan, and yes after about 20+ years I think I have a rough idea :D

As for Harry, he's just a PITA :rolleyes:

No shoe horn for me - there's growing going on as well as all your activity...

I must admit of never realised how involved bonsais are until I joined this forum...

Glad Harry's still having a good time!
Thanks Alex (y)
Yes they are / can be time consuming.
Spring and autumn mostly. Just keep them well fed, watered ( but not overly, its a fine balance between drowning and dying of thirst, due mostly to the small amount of growing medium) and lightly pruned in the summer and they are happy enough. :)

Thanks Dave (y)

Thanks Stan, and yes after about 20+ years I think I have a rough idea :D

As for Harry, he's just a PITA :rolleyes:

You are not doing very well, those trees are tiny, I planted some for the misses 5 years ago and they must be about 7ft tall now.

Poor old harry, he is just looking for love and he's not get any off you;);)

You are not doing very well, those trees are tiny, I planted some for the misses 5 years ago and they must be about 7ft tall now.
Damn :( I need to re-think in that case :D

Poor old harry, he is just looking for love and he's not get any off you;);)
Don't start feeling sorry for him Pete, he's a PITA :D

Nice bonsais, it's someting I wanted to get in to as a younger man but i'm afraid I just don't have the patience. Good job

Nice bonsais, it's someting I wanted to get in to as a younger man but i'm afraid I just don't have the patience. Good job
Thanks Jim (y)
I have none either :D
You just have to learn to leave well alone at times ;)
Get another hobby, as well, something like photography?
:D

Gardening is an activity, even in miniature. Looks like Harry has definitely been active on the swipe?

Gardening is an activity, even in miniature. Looks like Harry has definitely been active on the swipe?
Thanks Helen. (y)
Harry yes, maybe he'll stay away a bit longer ? :D

Certainly sounds like a time consuming and absorbing activity. Great to see the results of your careful attention. I’d have managed to kill them off in no time.

As for Harry, I see he has a friend. Nice of them to help out.
Edit: somehow managed to miss the text.... a girl friend [emoji15]

Last edited:
Liking the #2 bonnie tree because of the pot, good to see Harry.
Cheers Dave, I rather like that pot too, it was a good find (y)

Certainly sounds like a time consuming and absorbing activity. Great to see the results of your careful attention. I’d have managed to kill them off in no time.
It good fun Bee that's for sure. (y)
Start with something like a smallish Chinese elm they are pretty hardy, the mistake people make with them is they keep them in doors,
Especially as some places sell them as "Indoor" bonsai's noooo that'll kill'em.

The activity of Bonsai-ing is interesting and it's nice to see your trees.
Thanks Clive (y)

As for Harry, I'm not sure what's going on there...
Its seems you were the only one to pick up on that (y)

:LOL:

Catch up time.
Week 38 artificial. ( + technique lit by flash )
The tree in the middle was artificially shortened by air layering.
It's an "orange dream" Acer. It stands about 4 inches from the top of the pot to the top of the trunk.
This'll have more work next year to artificially age the trunk, and shorten the branches.

The 2 either side were artificially created by air layering, from the one in the middle, this year.
They have "supports" while they grow more roots to stabilise themselves
Hopefully next year I can get them in to small pots 4x3x1 inches, in the style of "Mame"
But that'll take a lot of careful pruning, both top and roots.

If you are interested, to save me typing loads Air layering

Trees-+-Flash.jpg

Week 39 Autumn.
For me its all about berries and decaying fruit.
The Berries are from my Virginia creeper, in the foreground the berries were stripped by wasps, before they ripened.
The Passion fruit is from my vine although the skin is starting to rot, the fruit is still rather tasty

Stacked-fruit-processed.jpg

But I know you don't like my arty farty images.
So have this one as well.
This has to be pretty much my all time favourite ( archive) Autumnal image.
Patagonian Mara enjoying the late autumnal sun.

129A1166
by Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Heya Chris,

Artificial - Very nicely done. Cleverly done for the theme with the work you put into those bonsai and the lighting is spot on.
Autumn - Well I like both, but the Mara shot just pips it for me, due to the warm autumnal light.

Seeing that you've caught up, I suppose I had better catch the spreadsheet up ;)

ETA: D'oh, @minx has been doing it for me :)

Last edited:
Heya Chris,

Artificial - Very nicely done. Cleverly done for the theme with the work you put into those bonsai and the lighting is spot on.
Autumn - Well I like both, but the Mara shot just pips it for me, due to the warm autumnal light.
Cheers Tim I appricate the kind comments (y)
( and I doubt there'll be many more "Bug shots" now either :D )

ETA: D'oh, @minx has been doing it for me :)
Thanks @minx (y)

Looks like hard work and very scientific growing those Bonsi and thanks for the lesson on air-layering.
Bonsai's, It pretty much common sense TBH. Air layering can be tricky at times though, granted.
And there is no guarantee's with it, you just give the "new" tree's the best start you can, and also keep the donor tree happy, and hope for the best (y)

Nice setup shot for the Autumn theme and good that they are all your own hard work over the summer months.
Cheers Stan (y)

Two nice shots for Autumn. That's one weird looking rabbit.

Nice light in the autumn one and the back story helped make sense of things! lol

Back