weekly Cobra's 2020 cataclysmic catastrophes Week 52 decorate and done!

Great shot of the larva. Not a nice subject to look at - but fantastic photo capturing it in all its ugliness!
Cheers Alex :)

Week 27 signs,
What's been slaughtering my plants?
The signs are all there if you know where to look :D

I'm not sure if i can claim Technique with prey and predator ..
But as Tim ( @LC2 ) is such a fan of my macro stuff, I'll let him make the call :D

061.jpg

This is what the ants are after, the sugary secretions from the aphids

105.jpg

As for Harry, after his brush with death, he went all flower-power, last week.
But this week, he's come all over Harry Krueger,

Has he lost the plot? I think the first signs of madness are there ;)

057a.jpg

Last edited:
Natures farmers :)

Nice set.

Nicely shoehorned in cant argue with the logic and nice tag for Tim ;)

Macro really does open up a whole new world right beneath our noses! Great shots.

Great shot of Harry was always!
Cheers Alex (y)

Your macro work is really impressive - I'm not sure if have these patience for it.
Thanks again Alex. TBH it all depends on what else you have going on,
as for me .. not a lot :D

Macro really does open up a whole new world right beneath our noses! Great shots.
Cheers Graham, (y) and yes it really does open up a whole new world.

Nice macros Chris and there are "sign's" that Harry is becoming menacing.
He'll get over it :D
Thanks for dropping by Pete (y)

Yes and very! but I take your words for it. Harry looks very menacing this week. :giggle:
Such little cuties aren't they Stan? :D
(And the aphids :D )
Thanks for commenting (y)

Nice set of images Chris some lovely? details in them.

I see Harry has come back form his recent ordeals ready for a fight!

MN: Educational and beautifully captured. I like the second one the best.

Signs: Love the ants.

Another nice macro Chris, it's amazing what there is in our gardens
Cheers Clive (y) and yes it certainly is amazing, the life and death struggles that go on right in our own back gardens.

A nice close up/macro of the aphids and ant. It'll be number 2 for me.

I was at a bit of a loss this week, until I stumbled on the ant nest breaking up.
Ants synchronize with all the other nests in the area for a couple of hours, many grow wings, they mate on the wing as they disperse.
Where ever they land, the females soon lose their wings, and become a new queen. thereby Secure(ing) the future of further generations.
The males get the crap end of the bargain, ( as usual) they land, lose their wings and die shortly after.

Flying-ant.jpg

As for Harry, after his last couple of psychotic episodes I thought it better that he spent a few days
in a secure unit.

002.jpg

Clever, and very well taken shoe horn with the ant - you've almost made me feel sorry for the males, but only just. They are still ants after all...

But I love the Harry shot this week - perfect for his ongoing story and the theme!

Interesting stuff re. ants. I've seen some winged ones before but didn't know the story behind it all. Nice lighting with the padlocks, suits B&W.

you've almost made me feel sorry for the males, but only just.
:LOL: at least they aren't Mantids
they get their heads ripped off after mating :D

But I love the Harry shot this week - perfect for his ongoing story and the theme!
Cheers Alex (y)

I've seen some winged ones before but didn't know the story behind it all
In brief, sex :D

Nice lighting with the padlocks, suits B&W.
Thanks Graham (y)

Your back story on the ant is enough to get it out of the shoe horn bracket in my opinion. Great detail you have captured too. Male Ants...work hard, grow wings, discover the thrill of flying, get a little lady ant action...while flying how cool is that, land and die, still smiling. Can't be bad.

Your back story on the ant is enough to get it out of the shoe horn bracket in my opinion. Great detail you have captured too.
Cheers Clive (y)

get a little lady ant action...while flying how cool is that, land and die, still smiling.
A short but happy life I guess :D

The light looks like it was against you in the ant pic, very shiny are insects I've found
as for Harry like his namesake Houdini will be out in no time, nice B+W conversion though

The ant images are fantastic. So much detail in them. I'm very impressed as I have tried to photograph ants but they move so darn quickly that it was a bust! Will have to try again.

Great ant shot. Have we had National Flying Ant Day yet? Given the swifts are going mad at the moment there must be lots about.
Poor Harry - still in lock down :LOL:

When I saw the photo, I though you were going to say, 'the ant is holding on securely'. But you're explanation works just as well for the theme.

The ant images are fantastic. So much detail in them. I'm very impressed as I have tried to photograph ants but they move so darn quickly that it was a bust! Will have to try again.
Thanks for the kind comments Joan :)
Yep you gotta be quick, the closer you get to them, the quicker you have to be!

Great ant shot. Have we had National Flying Ant Day yet? Given the swifts are going mad at the moment there must be lots about.
Poor Harry - still in lock down :LOL:
Poor Harry indeed the reprobate ! :D
This'll (ant week) carry on for awhile yet as all the ants synchronise in their particular area,
I poked around in a red ants nest earlier today, I uncovered a couple of Alates ( ants with wings) and they promptly dug back in again.
Obviously it wasn't "their time"

When I saw the photo, I though you were going to say, 'the ant is holding on securely'. But you're explanation works just as well for the theme.
Cheers Dom (y) TBH that never occurred to me, but yes it does work well too (y)

Back