Cobra's 2021 52 Creative Calamities Week 52 showcase, done and out.

Great idea. #2 made me laugh.. I assume you didn't have to shell out too much on these shots :D

Catch up, don't worry about commenting guys, I doubt that I'll have much time to reciprocate for a bit.
Just getting my ticks :)

Week 14 Spring

primrose.jpg

Week 15 snappers choice

As the zoo's are open, what else did you expect? :D

Lynx.jpg

Hi Chris

Nice yellow flowers.
Looks like he has been to the dentist, nice clean sharp teeth.

Pete

Gob shot FTW :)

well I'm going to comment anyway :D Lovely shot of the lynx - such cute cats with their little ear tufts, I do hope they reintroduce them.

Fabulous detail and colour in your spring shot. For a moment I thought the stamen was an accident with the clone tool ha ha!!

Nice capture - wouldn't want to get in the way of those teeth!
Spring, nicely captured.
Snappers choice, lovely detail in the Lynx`s coat.
Hi Chris

Nice yellow flowers.
Looks like he has been to the dentist, nice clean sharp teeth.

Pete
Gob shot FTW :)
Ah a famous @Cobra gob shot...good work Sir!
It’s good to see you getting back to normal :) but I must say I do like the close up of the flowers.

Thanks guys and gals, you really shouldn't have, but thanks :)

Spring
Good looking primula flower.

Snappers choice
Is that a gob shot?

Week 16
out and about at my favourite waste of time.
Even at 16 months old the baby one horned Rhino is still supplementing her diet with mum's help.

048.jpg

Love it. The composition is amusingly ordered for animals. Perhaps a little tightly composed for me, but the subject is all. Nice.

Also, +1 for the gob shot.

Love it. The composition is amusingly ordered for animals. Perhaps a little tightly composed for me, but the subject is all. Nice.
Also, +1 for the gob shot.
Cheers Ian, unfortunately there were people far side, that I had to crop out, so yeah I agree its a bit tight, but I didn't want to miss that shot :)

Love the cudderly looking gob shot. That baby rhino is so sweet.
Cheers Dave, you are welcome to cuddle, but I think Mum may have something to say about that and at around 1.6 tonne, I doubt it wise :D
Such a big baby to feed! Great textures in their 'armour'.
I need to go and visit our zoo - I'm guessing they will be open now then.
Thanks Bee, they are proper rhinosaurs as far as I'm concerned, prehistoric looking :)

All zoo's ( as far as I'm aware ) opened on the 12th of this month. (y)

Nice shot of the rhinos, Chester Zoo has a booking system at the moment for members and the first date we could book was is in June.

Nice shot of the rhinos, Chester Zoo has a booking system at the moment for members and the first date we could book was is in June.
Cheers Allan. All zoo as far as I'm aware have a booking system.
Enjoy when you get there (y)

As a ZSL Fellow I allegedly get priority. However looking at the booking diary, there always seems to be quite a few slots this time around.
They were all selling out almost in minutes following the easing of the last lock down though.

Nice take on the theme and just got the gob in :)

That's a huge baby!! And detail enough for me to realize how the expression 'thick as rhino hide' has come about.

Nice take on the theme and just got the gob in :)
Cheers Dave
Less a gob shot and more a [redacted] shot ;)
Very controlled in the hard light.
Cheers Tim, I'll get there ( a full on one) in the end :D

That's a huge baby!! And detail enough for me to realize how the expression 'thick as rhino hide' has come about.
Huge indeed Joan!
The one horned ( Indian) Rhino's skin is a lot more detailed than the black (African) Rhino.
It looks like its wearing armour :D

Good work Chris, have you considered a mono conversion, to maybe accentuate the detail in their skin?

Good work Chris, have you considered a mono conversion, to maybe accentuate the detail in their skin?
Cheers Iain , no I hadn't but its certainly worth a re-visit on that score (y)

Out and about
Well I guess that's the opposite of a gob shot, it's an a**e shot.
I quite like the composition.
Baby Rhino has certainly grown some.

Out and about
Well I guess that's the opposite of a gob shot, it's an a**e shot.
I quite like the composition.
Baby Rhino has certainly grown some.
:LOL: Cheers Dom (y)

Week 17 shapes
Bonsai's come in all shapes and sizes, this is an S shaped Chinese Elm,
pretty much how everyone expects them to look.
This is about 7 years old and just over a foot tall, from the top of the pot.

As always, comments not expected :)

B4.jpg

Last edited:
Week 18 Numbers + tech, negative space.
Tradition has it that any multiple plantings ( aka groups or forest)
Must contain odd Numbers of trees.

Dawn red wood, about 8 inches wide and about 10 ins ( 25 cm) high, from the top of the pot.
Its only a couple of years old, so just a baby.

B2.jpg

Last edited:
You've been torturing trees again! I like trees, however they are portrayed :)

Very fitting to have a snake shaped tree as your shape. Will it keep getting more s shapes in the trunk as it gets older?

I like the negative space shot - surely not bonsai redwoods? The clouds add to it and I believe 3 is a good number for subjects in photography. Looks it to me.

You've been torturing trees again!
It seems torturing people gets you in trouble so I stick to trees :D

I like trees, however they are portrayed :)
Thanks Martin (y)

Will it keep getting more s shapes in the trunk as it gets older?
It'll remain pretty much as is, however the trunk and branches will get thicker over time.

surely not bonsai redwoods?
Indeed, everything starts off as seedlings, trimming the roots and branches will keep them small, but as above they will thicken up
over time. (years) and may need a re-pot, into a bigger one, in a couple of years.

I believe 3 is a good number for subjects in photography. Looks it to me.
Its the odd angle, there are 5 trees.
2 left, 2 center and 1 on the right, but viewed end on or side on, you can see them all....
My bad actually.
Thanks for dropping by Bee (y)

The negative space does work well in this and serves to remove any sense of scale. In my mind they look like they're growing out of a chimney pot!

The negative space does work well in this and serves to remove any sense of scale. In my mind they look like they're growing out of a chimney pot!
Thanks Ian (y)

Back