Cobra's 2021 52 Creative Calamities Week 52 showcase, done and out.

I think you have excelled yourself with this one I rather like it and it does sum up how the start of the year looks and feels.
Thanks Mandy (y)

Fruit - Hmm not to sure what I think for the first image,
Me either TBH, it was supposed to be a full on decaying image ...
But it didn't turn out quite as I envisaged TBH.

however I do like the detail in the Fruit Fly even if the colour of its eyes is slightly weirding me out at the moment.
Thanks again, Mandy, They will be many more "bug" images with weird eyes and habits once it warms up,
Brace yourself :D

Nice take on fruit with the horinge!

Last edited:
2 very different images great detail in the macro of the fruit fly.

Both images are lovely and colourful, really like the macro shot.

Your orange is great - I thought it might have been burnt (blow-torched) when I saw it in the main thread? The colours and textures are great. I can see a tight crop and a semi-abstract triangle of orange pointing towards the corner of the image working as well?

The fruit fly is very well done.

I'm not sure why you spent most of the afternoon torturing an orange when you have that shot of the fruit fly
amazing considering how tiny they are

I think you have just officially put me off fruit, WOW it’s really translucent. Excellent shot if that horrible little creature is that small.
Nice take on the subject, a piece of fruit and a fruit fly.

Grilled kaleidoscopal orange ... fab idea! :cool:

First rate insect job. (y)

Nice abstract orange, fruit fly is an interesting take but still prefer the orange.

Nice take on fruit with the horinge!
Cheers Dave (y)

2 very different images great detail in the macro of the fruit fly.
Thanks Alison (y)

Both images are lovely and colourful, really like the macro shot.
Thanks Jim (y)
Your orange is great - I thought it might have been burnt (blow-torched) when I saw it in the main thread? The colours and textures are great. I can see a tight crop and a semi-abstract triangle of orange pointing towards the corner of the image working as well?
The fruit fly is very well done.
Thanks Alex, it was freezer to grill and back a few times( the orange that is not the FF :D )

I'm not sure why you spent most of the afternoon torturing an orange when you have that shot of the fruit fly
amazing considering how tiny they are
Thanks Allan (y)
I tortured the Orange because it wasn't viable to torture the Fruit fly :D

I think you have just officially put me off fruit, WOW it’s really translucent. Excellent shot if that horrible little creature is that small.
Nice take on the subject, a piece of fruit and a fruit fly.
Thanks Heather, & sorry about that :D
Some Fruit fly's are even smaller.

You hid that nasty bug thing in there deliberately didn't you :p
The Orange shot reminds be of Aliens (or is it 2 or 3, anyway when it's mouth is fully open like a flower)
Bug maybe :p
Alien ah yes I see where you are going with that :D
Thanks Tim (y)

Grilled kaleidoscopal orange ... fab idea! :cool:
First rate insect job. (y)
Cheers David (d)

Nice abstract orange, fruit fly is an interesting take but still prefer the orange.
Thanks Nick (y)

These are the dust like creatures you see in the summer hanging around your fruit bowl ....

Actually, they're usually hanging around and drowning in my wine glass :LOL:
Great detail in both.

Wow, is that what they look like when decaying. Nice Texture and patterns though.
Cheers Stan (y) and almost, under natural and not forced conditions, there'd be mold too. ..
Maybe next time eh?

What the hell ..
Week 0 nearby...
A six stack of a Siberian Elm about 15" tall all the way from ...... my back garden.
I don't normally "do" B&W but I thought the stark processing summed up the winter so far.

View attachment 304205

Ahhh you took your inspiration from Telly over Christmas :)

IMG_3598.JPG

Ahhh you took your inspiration from Telly over Christmas :)
I have no idea what that is, and besides there are only 5 I said six stack :D

Week 02 Dirty
Someone slap me. I've come over all B&W again!

Dirty habit Dirty edit ...

006a.jpg

Some of you may remember "Harry" from last year.
And the fact that he disappeared after a visit from my granddaughter...
Look what I found on the door step this morning!

He truly is Dirty Harry ...

DH.jpg

Class A? Sounds like a dirty habit.

A selfie? I like the B&Wness, and yes, the detachment.

That B&W is such an unusual composition. Is that a real arm that is being injected? I'd agree he almost looks like an onlooker. B&W perfect for it, so no slaps this time.

Dirty Habit were a popular covers band on the Isle of Wight :D

Harry truly is looking very dirty there. Bath time methinks! I expect he will be making a comeback in 2021 then?

Edit: I've just spotted your fruit fly - amazing shot. Fascinating to see.

Last edited:
Good take on the theme and I mean the first one not the bloody minion.

Good to see Harry again - but surely he needed a magnum wrapper..? :coat:

The floaty head / onlooker in the first image works for me - I would imagine an addiction like that would indeed leave the person almost an onlooker. Nice gritty B&W.

The mono image is really powerful and well fits the theme.
Good to see Harry make another appearance.

No idea about the story behind it Cobra but it certainly firs theme spot on, interesting how his head looks detached from his body, as though he’s just an onlooker!
No back story Susie just a set up for the theme.
And the effect was a black background wearing a black hoodie.
I was in two minds as to whether or not to pull the hood up.
But I think it works better as is.
Thanks for stopping by.

Class A? Sounds like a dirty habit.
A selfie? I like the B&Wness, and yes, the detachment.
At least it wasn't the Vaccine eh? :D
And yep that's me. And no liquid ( that's water in the syringe) entered my arm.
Thanks for stopping by David

That B&W is such an unusual composition. Is that a real arm that is being injected? I'd agree he almost looks like an onlooker. B&W perfect for it, so no slaps this time.
Dirty Habit were a popular covers band on the Isle of Wight :D
Harry truly is looking very dirty there. Bath time methinks! I expect he will be making a comeback in 2021 then?
Edit: I've just spotted your fruit fly - amazing shot. Fascinating to see.
Tis my arm Bee with a spot light to highlight the "injection" site
Harry will be making the odd appearance, Assuming he doesn't get kidnapped again on her next visit ;)
Thanks for the kind comments also, regarding the fruit fly.

Good take on the theme and I mean the first one not the bloody minion.
That's food, not blood :D
Thanks Allan.

Good to see Harry again - but surely he needed a magnum wrapper..? :coat:
The floaty head / onlooker in the first image works for me - I would imagine an addiction like that would indeed leave the person almost an onlooker. Nice gritty B&W.
Magnum wrapper :LOL: very good .
Thanks for the kind comments Alex.

The mono image is really powerful and well fits the theme.
Good to see Harry make another appearance.
Thanks Pete.

Really interesting take on the theme and nicely processed... I do like a mono shot.
Funnily enough I did wonder if Harry would make an appearance for this one... nice to see him back again :)

Really interesting take on the theme and nicely processed... I do like a mono shot.
Thanks Helen (y)
Funnily enough I did wonder if Harry would make an appearance for this one... nice to see him back again :)
My granddaughters visiting a bit later today ( my bubble) so who knows when he'll be back again :D

Very worrying that you have the props for this Chris ;)
It could be worse, it may have been make up and fishnet tights :D

A very effective shot.
Cheers Tim (y)

Dirty
The black and white gives it a more dark (not under exposed) feeling, fitting well with the context of the subject.
Good to see Harry back too. God only knows what mischief will he get up to this year.

Tis my arm Bee with a spot light to highlight the "injection" site
You must have very flexible fingers and arm. I couldn't get my hand and fingers into that position - I did try :LOL: It is very nicely lit. I'm glad you didn't have to retake the shot since it was real.

Nearby, I like the lighting and they look good against the black.
Fruit, the orange thing is odd looking, and the tiny fly has loads of detail.
Dirty, good to see dirty Harry is back! Your drug user shot, great detail, a very gritty shot.

Dirty Harry... I lol'd... Minions are ace. The stark flash makes it look like you caught him out... Thumbsup from me :)

Back