Cobra's 2021 52 Creative Calamities Week 52 showcase, done and out.

Low Key I like in all its arthritic deformities. Bless.

I like it, lovely light and great for theme and tech. I don't see any marks on this monitor either (I'll look at work tomorrow and see if I can see ot on that one)

I also like it. Moody, dark and very low key. Wearing dark clothes to accentuate it all has worked well.

I really like all the dead space around the subject in this.
Thanks Nick (y)
You know what - it's definitely there on my monitor - and it moves with the picture, so it's not dust.
There's two - in vertical line right behind you.
Your monitor must be incredibly bright, I took your picture, and moved the levels until it was almost unrecognisable
And sure enough there are 2 tile grouts that I "missed"

Low Key I like in all its arthritic deformities. Bless.
No arthritis here, as someone previously mentioned in another image you must have incredibly flexible fingers
Which I see as the norm. Maybe not?
Thanks for stopping by David (y)

I like it, lovely light and great for theme and tech. I don't see any marks on this monitor either (I'll look at work tomorrow and see if I can see ot on that one)
Thanks Jim (y) and as above on the "marks"

I also like it. Moody, dark and very low key. Wearing dark clothes to accentuate it all has worked well.
Thanks Ian (y)
I think it works well!
Cheers Paul (y)

No arthritis here, as someone previously mentioned in another image you must have incredibly flexible fingers
Which I see as the norm. Maybe not?
Thanks for stopping by David (y)
Ah, you are the lucky one.

Film
Lovely underwater shot, with the light beaming in.

Half
Great shot. I'm sure you'll be needing them soon, as I seem to remember your honeysuckle suffers from aphids.

Reflection
I like that, I think it's the low-key lighting, it suits it well.

Last edited:
Film
Lovely underwater shot, with the light beaming in.

Half
Great shot. I'm sure you'll be needing them soon, as I seem to remember your honeysuckle suffers from aphids.

Reflection
I like that, I think it's the low-key lighting, it suits it well.
Thanks for the kind comments Dom (y)
The honey suckle got bled to death by late summer so it is no more :(
It was replaced late autumn, and I found a source to buy May bugs and Ladybird larva from (y)
(once the weather warms up a tad)

Aha!! Great idea... :ROFLMAO:

Actually although they are very similar, we have used different light and chosen different parts of the image to highlight as well as a different crop. I think it makes it more interesting than my version.

I should own up to the fact that I very nearly commented on this in the submission thread, even after our interaction - luckily I didn't hit post :LOL:

Nicely done low key shot. I love the lighting on your hands... very subtle.
BTW - I can see what Kell can too... very odd!

Aha!! Great idea... :ROFLMAO:
:LOL:

I think it makes it more interesting than my version.
I dunno, they are both different as much as they are the same (y)

I should own up to the fact that I very nearly commented on this in the submission thread, even after our interaction - luckily I didn't hit post :LOL:
Thanks for dropping by Bee :)

Nicely done low key shot. I love the lighting on your hands... very subtle.
Thanks Helen (y)
BTW - I can see what Kell can too... very odd!
Very odd As I mentioned to Kell, is your monitor really bright?

Liking the reflection shot Chris,
Cheers Dave

you look so different than I thought you might :D
Having a camera glued to my nose is certainly an affliction :(
:p

As always no mods were harmed in the making of this weeks theme

028.jpg

well that's a relief.... that no mods were harmed... so hopefully you are just acting a little rough?

I like the lighting although your sweatshirt does disappear into the background. Is it flash? If so you seem to have controlled the highlights really well. It would be interesting to see if a rim light behind you would improve it, or it may ruin the atmosphere, I'm not sure.

Rough? More like depressed or even desperate (two more themes perhaps?). Logo on the top seems to draw ones eye.

Reflection
Has just the right amount of light to define the main features, though I wonder how it would look with a rim of light around the lens

I'm enjoying your recent selfies. I do hope Harry wasn't around to be corrupted!!

I like the lighting although your sweatshirt does disappear into the background. Is it flash? If so you seem to have controlled the highlights really well.
Thanks Bee, yes the built in on camera flash, but with over head lighting to, to subdue the flash.

It would be interesting to see if a rim light behind you would improve it, or it may ruin the atmosphere, I'm not sure.
You mean a halo type thing? :D
I was sat in front of very dark curtains, had I opened / part opened them it would have gone a bit tits up TBH.

Logo on the top seems to draw ones eye
Now you mention it, I should have cloned it out :(
Thanks for the feed back, Martin (y)

Reflection
Has just the right amount of light to define the main features,
Thanks Stuart

Just another Friday night at Cobra Manor I take it :woot:
Pretty much :D

I do hope Harry wasn't around to be corrupted!!

He was the one taking the picture :D
I'm enjoying your recent selfies
Thanks Helen :)

Last edited:
The composition works well and the gloomy lighting suits the scene. The Zippo is a little oddly positioned for me though, and suitably rough looking eye contact would have elevated it (in my opinion of course!)

The composition works well and the gloomy lighting suits the scene. The Zippo is a little oddly positioned for me though, and suitably rough looking eye contact would have elevated it (in my opinion of course!)
I did try the blood shot eyes thing but it didn't really work, thanks for dropping by, and the suggestions Ian.

I'm intrigued... did you poke yourself in the eye? :LOL: That really is suffering for your art!
No, photoshop is far less painful :D

Nice idea, thanks for sharing. Nicely lit.

Have some more white powder, it should cheer you up.

So he's feeling a little rough after his vaccination? :ROFLMAO:

I love the lighting in that, and the darkness around the subject sucks you into it. The only thing I'm not sure it needs is the Zippo,

Strong self portrait Chris. The Zippo is a little square on for my tastes, but the rest is just excellent.
Cheers Alex, (y) It seems the zippo wasn't a good idea, a few people have said that now.
I'll leave it out next time :D

So he's feeling a little rough after his vaccination? :ROFLMAO:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I love the lighting in that, and the darkness around the subject sucks you into it. The only thing I'm not sure it needs is the Zippo,
Cheers Nick (y)
and as above for the Zippo

Nice selfie, mostly agree with others' comments. Hope you're recovered this week. :)
Cheers Stan recovering slowly, just in time to do it all again this week :D

Rough
I'm not sure I like the sepia tone, a straight back & white would have been better for me. I do like the over all composition and it gives a feeling of roughness.

Rough
I'm not sure I like the sepia tone, a straight back & white would have been better for me. I do like the over all composition and it gives a feeling of roughness.
Cheers Dom (y)
Curiously there was no toning added it was purely levels and contrast to make it look darker.
But now you mention it, it does look like it...

Back