Cobra's 2021 52 Creative Calamities Week 52 showcase, done and out.

Nice one for the theme. I see where you're coming from, even a short giraffe will be a Tall giraffe one day.
Indeed David, from tiny sperm and eggs mighty mammals grow :D
Thanks for dropping by

Like this Chris, lovely creature, particularly like the colour tones of the image, very pleasing on the eye.
Thanks Iain (y)

Looks like you've shot that on a warm summer's afternoon rather than a cold winters day.
As Iain says, pleasing tones.
Indeed Tim, one from the archive as all the zoos are shut and I couldn't get a "fresh one"

Well how can you not love this one, definitely the perfect choice of animal for the theme.
Thanks Susie :)

Got to love a giraffe. Possibly one of my favourite animals.
Thanks Kell. :)

I really like that. The composition is great with the lighter new skin against the weathered old skin. The expression on the little beastie is great too
Thanks Nick :)

Tall
Pleasing tones in the giraffe's patterned coat. I also like the youngsters head position.

Yay Harry is well and truly back, with my editing bug having been so prolific, I would have had him pulling the sword out of your Big Rock in the sky. :)

The giraffe is beautiful, you have really captured its moment with the tall one beside it.
Stunning and kinda old and new picture too... ;) battlescars Vs fresh paintwork :)

FYI, in case you didn't know, the collective name for giraffes is appropriately called a Tower.

Nice tones, with the moment captured, you can just see the smaller giraffe saying "one day I will be as tall as you"

Yay Harry is well and truly back, with my editing bug having been so prolific, I would have had him pulling the sword out of your Big Rock in the sky. :)

The giraffe is beautiful, you have really captured its moment with the tall one beside it.
Stunning and kinda old and new picture too... ;) battlescars Vs fresh paintwork :)
Thanks Heather and lol at the suggestion.

FYI, in case you didn't know, the collective name for giraffes is appropriately called a Tower.
Indeed they are, and they have the same amount of cervical vertebrae as us.
and most mammals come to that, the oddity is the sloth with 9.
Today's anatomy class was bought to you by the numbers 7 & 9 :D

Nice tones, with the moment captured, you can just see the smaller giraffe saying "one day I will be as tall as you"
Cheers Stuart

Week 05 Snappers choice

No its not a Japanese war cry, just an excuse to torture trees.
Cork bark elm, so called because of the structure of the trunk.
As you can see, Its a bit of a mess at the moment, and needs a lot more work this year.
Some buds are just about visibly forming, another couple of weeks I'll start trimming.
(assuming the weather doesn't turn arctic)
It was re potted last year and both aren't done in the same year.
Its about 7 years old and stands 12" x 7" wide inc. the 2" deep pot.

bonsai1.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see, Its a bit of a mess at the moment, and needs a lot more work this year.

Aren't trees supposed to be a mess?

Always nice to see the progress f the bonsai though it could be a few years before we see anything like the final result

I do like a bonsai although never had any success with them myself. The PP on this gives it a really nice look.

I really like the colours. Wish I could get a background that black too!

Always nice to see the progress f the bonsai though it could be a few years before we see anything like the final result
Indeed Allan, gently does it (y)
(There is a saying " A finished Bonsai is a dead bonsai :D )

I do like a bonsai although never had any success with them myself. The PP on this gives it a really nice look.
Cheers Jim (y) TBH if you go for something like a Chinese Elm to start with, and treat them gently and keep them outside they normally thrive.
Don't listen to garden centers or ebay sellers, they are NOT indoor plants and hardy down to about -10oC as long as they are sheltered from chilling winds and water sparingly, or even not at all through the winter months. Unless its incredibly dry ...

I really like the colours. Wish I could get a background that black too!
Thanks Nick (y) the background is a black faux fur "throw" I bought from ebay for a few quid ( can't remember exactly how much, as it was a few years ago, but it wasn't expensive)
And a levels tweak to finish it off.

... some nice colour there
Cheers David (y)

Last edited:
I love your tall image - I have a soft spot for giraffes. Getting the baby against the mother is such a different viewpoint.

And from tall to small.... it really does appear to be an art, this bonsai business. It doesn't look a mess to me at all. I like the black background and lighting. It really brings out the warm tones of the tree.

A bit behind with comments I'm afraid!

Tall: Lovely shot of two lovely creatures.
Snapper's: I do like to see the progress of your Bonsai creations. This is nicely lit.

Looks almost human! Good idea and well detailed.
Son of Groot perhaps? :D
Thanks David.

I love your tall image - I have a soft spot for giraffes. Getting the baby against the mother is such a different viewpoint.
And from tall to small.... it really does appear to be an art, this bonsai business. It doesn't look a mess to me at all. I like the black background and lighting. It really brings out the warm tones of the tree.
Thanks for your kind comments Bee.
TBH I have no patience why / how on earth I got into Bonsai is beyond me :D

Tall: Lovely shot of two lovely creatures.
Snapper's: I do like to see the progress of your Bonsai creations. This is nicely lit.
Thanks Pete (y)

Choice
The trunk is really quite interesting. It looks nice on the black background.

Choice
The trunk is really quite interesting. It looks nice on the black background.
Thanks Dom (y)
The cork bark variants are quite interesting, and quite sort after,
they aren't exactly rare, but don't often come up at a sensible price..
Very nice Chris - lovely subject, and the deep black background sets it off nicely.
Cheers Alex (y)

Always interested to see your bonsai collection, is the highlights in the pot variations in the soil or something else?
My ficus has no leaves at present, are they meant to lose them annually?

Always interested to see your bonsai collection, is the highlights in the pot variations in the soil or something else?
The highlights are the "grit" part of the soil make-up.
Potting compost, orchid bark and grit.
My ficus has no leaves at present, are they meant to lose them annually?
I take it you mean Ficus ginseng types with the strange above ground roots
Mine never has, the reasons it would, too dry , too wet, or dead.
I trust its inside at the moment, away from radiators but not too cool

Last edited:
Last edited:
Good work Chris, an interesting subject for snappers choice. (y)

Week 06 A pair of cheetah's

cheetah2.jpg

A pair of gob shots

cheetah-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Bee, if looks could kill eh?
My (ordinary) cats look at me like this. I think it's simple regret they don't have opposable thumbs.

On theme entry with an exotic twist. Everyone loves cat photos.

First shot for me, great shot of them they look so deceptively cute

On theme entry with an exotic twist. Everyone loves cat photos.
Thanks Ian, I even overheard someone commenting "just how cat like they are" :D

First shot for me, great shot of them they look so deceptively cute
Thanks Allan, TBH I really like them, probably my favourite of all the large cats.
BTW They are the most biddable of all the large cats.
They are imprinted and used for hunting deer in some countries.

Back