Coincidences

Edit My Images
No
Just passing the time :) Has anyone had odd coincidences in their lives?

My brother in law was born on the same day/month/year as me!

My next door neighbour and pal had the same christian name as me and married a girl with the same christian name as my wife.

my birthday is the same day as my other halfs dad and my other halfs daughter has the same birthday as my sisters daughter.

I was born on the planet Earth and I've just found out that billions of other people were born on the planet Earth as well. These coincidences just keep on coming... :naughty:

Every time I get an unexpected windfall, an unexpected bill takes it away again. :(

Innit just. About 30 years ago, I was in a job where I was able to work plenty of overtime. It was guaranteed that within a couple of days of receiving a big pay cheque, the car would break down, the fridge would pack in or some other such expensive disaster would contrive to gobble up the cash!

I was driving along a straight road and a car was coming the other way. We both passed the same spot at exactly the same time!

Last edited:
Better than passing OVER the same spot at the same time!

My wife got taken ill in Majorca and ended up up in Palma hospital for a week.
The first nurse who was looking after her was from Holland and after some more conversation Turned out she was from the same town as my brothers wife.
The next nurse commented on my accent and asked if I was from Gloucester. I explained id lived there most of my life, nut was born in Bath.
She was from Bath and moved to Gloucester when she was in her 20s and had lived there until her 40’s before moving to Spain..
She lived in the next street over from my my parents house and my childhood home. She knew my house well, as it was pretty distinctive.

Some (all?) of the above seem to 'confirm' the theory of "six degrees of separation".

Yes..Several years ago I was taking coastline photos by the Mullion Hotel, Mullion Cove,Cornwall. I had my tripoid with the5D11 and the 17-40mm lens with a Lee filter, a remote cable. The reason I say this is that a man came to me and asked if I was a professional photographer. I suppose most people don't have that sort of gear. I assured him I definitley wasn't..lol. He said he'd retired from the RAF. (high ranking chap..with the accent..lol) He and his wife were in the process of setting up a B&B in the area and would I mind sending him a few photos for his website. Yes..I know..but I'm a kindly soul ..:D ..and agreed. He gave me his Email address and told me his name. You've guessed it. The same as mine..both first and surname. Anyway, true to his word he sent me his website and credited me with the photos.
A couple of years later a mom and her 7 year old stopped to talk to me..exactly the same situation..(me photographing the scene) and the same location and the same question.. are you a professional. ? ..and exactly the same reason. She and her husband had moved from London to open a B&B. I obliged and was sent the website. I think I'm missing a trick here. :)

Last edited:
About 20 years ago, Mrs F, myself and a couple of friends were hacking out on the road when a lorry tried to overtake us (it was a narrow country lane). The horse behind me spooked and reared up, kicking mine which bolted, leaving me looking at nothing but sky before landing in some brambles.

Fast forward a few years and we had moved to a new area. Mrs F was interested in a horse share and responded to an advert from a local woman. We went along to have a look and the horse was the very same one that kicked mine up the arse! :eek: :D

I was born with a heart condition, requiring open heart surgery at 10 months old and again at 24 years old. The first was in Denver, CO, USA and the second in Southampton, England. During the prep for the second surgery, I was chatting to the anaesthetist. He asked about my previous surgery, and it turned out he had worked in the same hospital in Denver at the time. There were only 3 anaesthetists at the hospital at that time, so there's a 33% chance he knocked me out for both surgeries, 23 years and a few thousand miles apart!

We live in Kent and went to Northumberland last year. When we visited Dunstanburgh castle the women at the English Heritage reception was the ex head of a school in Kent that my wife worked at 11 years ago. She had moved up there 2 years ago and worked 2 days a week at Dunstanburgh however the day we visited was normally a non-working day but she was doing an extra shift as someone was sick.
Many years ago I was travelling with a friend from Kent to Cornwall overnight to go camping. On the way his car was playing up so we diverted towards Lyme Regis and just looked for the first place that allowed tents. We pitched the tent in the dark without seeing anyone at all. In the morning when I came out of the tent my brother was outside playing cricket with his friends. I had no idea he was even on holiday as he did not live at home then.

In 1994 whilst sat in Gatwick airport getting bored out of mind, I decided to go into John Menzies for a magazine, I turned around to see a man standing there , he nodded and smiled, I said hello ( whilst thinking to myself ‘ I know that face, must be a customer or something’) . I sat back down next to my wife and she says “ who was that?”, “ no idea” I replied, to which she added” it’s Paul Ince”, ex Man Utd and England midfielder, he heard her and laughed when she said “ I thought you support Utd” anyways, in 2014 whilst at Gatwick airport eating breakfast in some over priced gaff, l look up and sat next to me is Paul Ince, I recognised him this time!

Another one that has stayed with me. Similar to Suvv's experience re his brother.A little bit of a story with it too :)

Many years ago we went to Menorca on holiday. One morning, in the hotel,we were joined at the breakfast table by two nuns (in their 60's I think) and wearing their religious attire with head covering but not the full habit and they were from Ireland. No.it's not a joke coming..lol. The dining room was very busy. Knowing my antipathy towards religion(as some on here do, too) my wife could barely keep a straight face. We had a pleasant conversation and said we were going to visit Cuitadella, a beautiful town on the NW coast .It has medieval streets, a Gothic style city hall and 14th century cathedral. The nuns said they would have gone to the Sanctuary/convent on top of the 365m (1197ft) high Monte Toro. The highest point on the island.Records of it date back to 1291 and it was rebuilt in 1670..so pretty ancient. But they had no car and would stay locally. Very short read and photo https://www.illesbalears.travel/tourist-resource/en/menorca/sanctuary-monte-toro

It was quite a way from the hotel. So...knowing what it would mean to them to go to Monte Toro I said that they were welcome to come with us (via Monte Toro) and they could look round Ciutadella and we'd bring them back. They were delighted. After brekky off we went. If anyone has been to Monte Toro they'll know it's a very,very steep climb on a narrow winding road. My wife went into the 'church' with the nuns. She's studied the Renaissance period (at degree level) and knew about the story/meaning depicted in the stained glass windows but as she told me later..no-where near as much as the nuns knew who explained the scenes in detail to my wife and the meaning of the colours of the garments worn by the figures. I remained outside looking out over the wonderful view. It was quite a hairy experience driving back down on the right side of course so next to 'the drop' My wife was very uneasy but the nun's said not to worry as "God is looking after us" .On this occasion I was quite happy to know that lol.

We got to Cuitadella and stopped on the front by the harbour and parked there. We told the nuns that we'd meet back at the car at whatever time. They got out and walked off. We saw them talking to some people who were sitting on a bench just metres away. Then one of the nuns came back and said that they'd just met a cousin and her family, also from Ireland and they had no idea they were there and that they would take them back to our hotel. One of life's coincidences ? Not atall. She said that" God meant it to be" and after bestowing his blessing upon us ,off she went.:)

The next day they came to us in the dining room with a bottle of whiskey as a thank you. Looked a bit strange a nun carrying a bottle of whisky..:D

My wife and her brother share the same birthday ... just 3 years apart.

My youngest daughter and two eldest grandsons were all born on the same date in November. She's their aunt not their mother, just in case you're wondering :)

About 20 years ago, Mrs F, myself and a couple of friends were hacking out on the road when a lorry tried to overtake us (it was a narrow country lane). The horse behind me spooked and reared up, kicking mine which bolted, leaving me looking at nothing but sky before landing in some brambles.

Fast forward a few years and we had moved to a new area. Mrs F was interested in a horse share and responded to an advert from a local woman. We went along to have a look and the horse was the very same one that kicked mine up the arse! :eek: :D

Your horse wasn't called Bishop Brennan by any chance?

That's amazing, they normally drink Guiness! ;)

Lol. Nuns drink alcohol do they ? Yes, I believe the Irish do enjoy Guinness.

I had to give it away when we got home because I don't like whisky. :) Very kind gesture, nonetheless.

My brother in law joined the RAF on 26th Sept 1988, same day as me. He left the RAF on the same day as me in 2005. To be fair, we both joined up in the same careers office when we were 16 (we'd never met before) , after our training, we never crossed paths for about 10 years whilst in the RAF, and he ended up going out with my sister in law, and soon after married her. We both ended up on the same RAF base and both put in for redundancy, and both got it.

In the last couple of months, whilst out walking I have met my neighbours' parents (also out walking) 5 times on the same bridge. Have never met them out walking anywhere else.

I sold a lens to a forum member @Denis99 , he lives 30 miles or so away from me so we met halfway at a shopping centre. We got talking about where we were from originally and previous jobs, it turns out he served his apprenticeship with the same company as I did, not only that we both served the same apprentiship, in the same workshop with the same craftsman as our tutor/mentor, he finished working there as I started.

Yes,good to meet up.

Strange how our earlier years nearly crossed, and then to meet after over 30 years later.There were some characters in the shipyard then.

It was the hardest work I ever did, for the lowest amount of money, no real terms of employment or conditions worth talking about.

Back