Colchester Cubs

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a trip to Colchester yesterday as really wanted to see their tiger cubs before they got much bigger. Was also my first time out experimenting with my new Sigma 150-600mm C and a monopod. I can hand hold the lens but it is a bit heavy for that really and I wanted to try out the monopod for stabilty. I'd fashioned myself a belt that I can clip the whole set up to take some of the weight off my shoulders and hold it securely. I also planned to use the monopod at its smallest setting supported by the belt at my waist. I have to say - it worked a treat. Vastly more keepers than my recent hand held trip round Chester and I alternated clipping the whole shebang to my belt or just carrying it by the monopod with the camera over my shoulder and lens resting on top of my bag. Honestly - I find the whole set up more comfortable than hanging my camera / 70-300mm lens off my shoulder and it did wonders for my usual neck pain. Anyway... C&C welcome as always:

Colchester_20191004_103317 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Colchester_20191004_104542 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Colchester_20191004_104652_01 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Colchester_20191004_101701 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Colchester_20191004_101008 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Colchester_20191004_103259 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Colchester_20191004_104653 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Colchester_20191004_103312 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Simply sublime set of tiger images.......and the cubs are oh so cute......and what big paws they have :)

PS do you know how old they are, as they still have blue'ish(just?) eyes???

Last edited:
Cracking set Fi, particularly #1 (y)
The combo certainly seems to be working for you also :)

Excellent set (y)

So endearing, and beautifully caught moments.

thankyou :)

cracking set

thanks @holty (y)

Simply sublime set of tiger images.......and the cubs are oh so cute......and what big paws they have :)

PS do you know how old they are, as they still have blue'ish(just?) eyes???

Thankyou! They were born on 14th of June... still very cute :)

Cracking set Fi, particularly #1 (y)
The combo certainly seems to be working for you also :)

Thankyou - that was my favourite too. I'm loving the new lens tbh :)

Excellent set (y)

Thankyou (y)

Gorgeous set, Fi.

excellent Fi. Glad you found a lens that works for you.
These are really very sharp and well composed.

What head are you using on the monopod ?

excellent Fi. Glad you found a lens that works for you.
These are really very sharp and well composed.

What head are you using on the monopod ?

Thanks Mark - I'm loving the new lens :)

No head - just screw the monopod into the tripod collar on the lens.

Hi Fi

It just caught my eye that you were using the monopod 'on your belt'. Can I ask how are you "holding" it on the belt, a flag staff pocket...or similar???

TIA for the insight :)

Hi Fi

It just caught my eye that you were using the monopod 'on your belt'. Can I ask how are you "holding" it on the belt, a flag staff pocket...or similar???

TIA for the insight :)

Hi, I do intend to fashion some kind of pocket thing like you mention but for this outing I was just jamming it between the 'belt' and myself and so it was just sort of wedged there which was more comfortable than it sounds and it only slipped a couple of times. I say 'belt' because it is actually my old Talk Photography camera strap that I have fashioned into a belt. If I am hand holding I can hook the set up into the belt using the tripod collar and it holds it firmly by my leg. For the monopod I attached one of the many pointless plastic clips from my Lowepro bag - one side on the monopod and one on the belt so i can clip it in fast and again it is held securely. I also have an Optech Utility strap on the tripod collar / camera itself so not too worried about the belt clip failing or everything going south if the jamming it in the belt bit goes wrong!

I was planning to put together a better solution but honestly - it worked great for a ratchet last minute mashup of stuff I had round the house. The camera strap / belt thing is really comfy as the neoprene bit spreads the weight a bit on my lower back. I will let you know if I sort out a pocket solution tho!

Beautiful images.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hi, I do intend to fashion some kind of pocket thing like you mention but for this outing I was just jamming it between the 'belt' and myself and so it was just sort of wedged there which was more comfortable than it sounds and it only slipped a couple of times. I say 'belt' because it is actually my old Talk Photography camera strap that I have fashioned into a belt. If I am hand holding I can hook the set up into the belt using the tripod collar and it holds it firmly by my leg. For the monopod I attached one of the many pointless plasic clips from my Lowepro bag - one side on the monopod and one on the belt so i can clip it in fast and again it is held securely. I also have an Optech Utility strap on the tripod collar / camera itself so not too worried about the belt clip failing or everything going south if the jamming it the belt bit goes wrong!

I was planning to put together a better solution but honestly - it worked great for a ratchet last minute mashup of stuff I had round the house. The camera strap / belt thing is really comfy as the neoprene bit spreads the weight a bit on my lower back. I will let you know if I sort out a pocket solution tho!

thanks for the insight.

The primary reason it caught my attention was mainly due to fatigue issues I had when I still used my bigger lens Canon gear.......and thought of trying something along the lines of a belt pocket. Since selling that gear and getting my mFT Olympus kit the fatigue issue is much reduced. However, I can still perceive of situations where such monopod usage would be beneficial!

Back