Cold War Jets

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Forgot my rain sleeve, thank god for weather sealed lenses!

1)
Bruntingthorpe Cold War Jets by Harry Measures, on Flickr

2)

3)

4)

5)
Cold War Jets by Harry Measures, on Flickr

6)
Cold War Jets by Harry Measures, on Flickr

7)

8)

Thanks for looking,

Crit welcome :)

Harry.

After the Spitfire the Lightning is a favourite aircraft so I love these pictures...mind you every shot is a cracker for me

I'm really liking these. It's good to see some close up shots instead of full aircraft so that more details are seen- they tend to get lost with a full view.
And some wonderful aircraft too! I have a soft spot for Lightnings and the Victor (and the Valiant and Vulcan!)

The Harrier is rather good too :)

After the Spitfire the Lightning is a favourite aircraft so I love these pictures...mind you every shot is a cracker for me

I'm really liking these. It's good to see some close up shots instead of full aircraft so that more details are seen- they tend to get lost with a full view.
And some wonderful aircraft too! I have a soft spot for Lightnings and the Victor (and the Valiant and Vulcan!)

+1 to both the above but Ken what you say is harrier is the buccaneer;)

It would be great to see both the Harrier still on the show circuit but sadly I understand of the last two Lightenings flying were privately owned in South Africa one crashed and the other was grounded as a result of that.......but that latter may have been revised since I last read of this incident.
Edit - looks like the Lightening is flying again!

Last edited:
oops! So it is. The clue is in the title :)

Great selection of images ......:) remember the lighting coming in at RAF Valley

Love No8 (y)

Some very nice, slightly different perspective shots of aircraft we don't see too often.

Particularly like no 8 with the reflection.

Lovely photos! Brings back memories of Lightenings doing vertical climb outs at RAF Akrotiri and of flying down the west coast of Scotland at 500ft and having a Bucaneer pass below us from behind. Beautiful aircraft!

Great shots, didn't get there this year, but a friend of mine got to go in the Canberra for it's run.........jammy sod.

Lovely shots. Peeked in your portfolio and I loved every one of the aviation shots. You clearly have a terrific skill set for this work.

Thanks, the lightning is a very impressive bit of kit. Sadly I'm too young to have seen them flying :(

+1 to both the above but Ken what you say is harrier is the buccaneer;)

It would be great to see both the Harrier still on the show circuit but sadly I understand of the last two Lightenings flying were privately owned in South Africa one crashed and the other was grounded as a result of that.......but that latter may have been revised since I last read of this incident.
Edit - looks like the Lightening is flying again!

Thanks guys. Correct on the Buccaneer front :) And yes, one of the Lightnings has recently started flying again.

I love the final Lightning shot. Great use of (I presume) a wet runway to get that reflection. It makes for a very interesting shot.

Thanks, I borrowed the idea from one of my friends, it was a large puddle that had formed on the taxiway.

Like the number 4 a lot, nice photos.

Thank you :)

Great selection of images ......:) remember the lighting coming in at RAF Valley

Thanks.

Well worth the wet elbows and knees :)

Some very nice, slightly different perspective shots of aircraft we don't see too often.

Particularly like no 8 with the reflection.

Thanks - I do try and do different stuff it is quite tricky. I find using a prime helps as it removes the ability to just zoom out as the subject gets closer, so you have to think about what to do!

A great set. Love the Lightening pics .

Thanks. They are having a lightning only run in November I think.

Lovely photos! Brings back memories of Lightenings doing vertical climb outs at RAF Akrotiri and of flying down the west coast of Scotland at 500ft and having a Bucaneer pass below us from behind. Beautiful aircraft!

Lucky you! Haha.

A great set of images
James

Thanks James.

Great detail. Lovely :)

Thanks. Very impressed with my 400mm F5.6, tack sharp and nice and light!

Great shots, didn't get there this year, but a friend of mine got to go in the Canberra for it's run.........jammy sod.

So he is!

Lovely shots. Peeked in your portfolio and I loved every one of the aviation shots. You clearly have a terrific skill set for this work.

Thanks for taking the time to view my portfolio, your comments are appreciated :)

Excellent set, well done.

Thank you.

+1 on what Ken said, nice to see some close ups, stunning set of pics.

Thanks.

Being as the reflection shot went down well:

Harry,

Love these, left school after my "A" levels in 1981 our kid got me a "man's job" withTarmac, first job I went on was at RAF Leeming and I witnessed a Lightning scramble up close, most awsome thing I have ever seen, short run and nearly vertical.
Still gives me goosebumps as I think of it.

Great to see the Buccaneer again. A pity none are flying now, remember them out of Honnington and Akrotiri.

Laughed at the Windscreen wiper. Assume it's only used when going slow.

Great shots.

#4 is really good, love the after burners and heat haze, shame about the clipped wing.

Pete

Love these, left school after my "A" levels in 1981 our kid got me a "man's job" withTarmac, first job I went on was at RAF Leeming and I witnessed a Lightning scramble up close, most awsome thing I have ever seen, short run and nearly vertical.
Still gives me goosebumps as I think of it.

Thanks for the comments - I wish I could see one fly, hopefully the one in the States will manage it one day!

#4 does it for me

Thanks, it is a sight to behold!

Great to see the Buccaneer again. A pity none are flying now, remember them out of Honnington and Akrotiri.

Thanks - I do believe HHA at Scampton maintain one as airworthy but I don't think it does actually fly often if at all.

these are all great, first thing that comes to mind is that us humans have built some truly amazing machines.....

It is staggering really what we are capable of, and to think the design of these aircraft was unaided by the wonders of CAD we have today!

Laughed at the Windscreen wiper. Assume it's only used when going slow.

Great shots.

#4 is really good, love the after burners and heat haze, shame about the clipped wing.

Pete

Not sure about the wipers!

I think I cropped 4 like that, I quite like the tight crops - plus Bruntingthorpe is a bit of a nasty background! I'll have to dig out the original.

Nice set, agreed that #4 is particularly good :D

Cheers.

they're great, I love No. 1 though

Thank you - heavy rain is awesome sometimes!

To think, it'll soon be the night run of the Lightnings!

Back