Collembola - these were smaller than a pin head!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Large crops because these globular springtails were so tiny - and thus not as sharp as I had hoped for. They are less than the size of a pin head.

newglob05_1400.jpg

newglob04_1400.jpg

newglob03_1400.jpg

newglob02_1400.jpg

newglob01_1400.jpg

Paul.

How do you find them being so small ? It might just be me , but the Yellow ones have a cartoon feel to them , that`s the bugs not your photography . I like them .

Found them very hard to see in the first instance. I just looked for something that wasn't the same black colour of the recycling bin. Used the light from my phone to light things up, then brought the camera down and tried to find them again! Accurate focus is bloody hard when they are so small.

Paul.

Always nice to see these Paul as I don`t get to see them that often here.
Maybe find yourself a Raynox 250 as a add-on.

Found them very hard to see in the first instance. I just looked for something that wasn't the same black colour of the recycling bin. Used the light from my phone to light things up, then brought the camera down and tried to find them again! Accurate focus is bloody hard when they are so small.

Paul.
Was that easier than using your ringflash's light? BTW your ring flash sometimes has problems with the door but you can just put a screw in when it happens (happened to me)
They are all nice, but I love the third one. I have not seen those before and I do look at my bin now and again.

Nice shots Paul.
Though I would say #3 is not that small it a Katinnidae a dark variant.
The others are quite small.

Nice set Paul, I'm liking the dew drops (y)

Very good! They work really well with the black background.

Had you thought of doing a panoramic crop to cut out most of the OOF droplets ( I can see it wouldn't work with all of them.)

Must say I dind't think of a different crop.

Nice shots Paul.
Though I would say #3 is not that small it a Katinnidae a dark variant.
The others are quite small.

#3 was small enough still to be problematic...

:)

Paul.

Was that easier than using your ringflash's light?

They are all nice, but I love the third one. I have not seen those before and I do look at my bin now and again.

The ringflash illuminated the scene much better, but was very harsh compared to the diffused twin flashes. I think a small light is something to consider to aid focusing in dark conditions. Should be fine worth decent ambient light.

Paul.

Super set

Back