Colormunki not showing up

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Not quite sure where this one fits, so I'll post here and see where I end up! :)

My Colormunki Display has stopped registering in the Colormunki profiling software on my PC. Well that's not actually true, it's not registering in the Colormunki software on 3 PC's. When I get to the appropriate screen it says "colormunki not connected, please connect now"

It is however registering as a device under settings > devices. I just can't do anything with it!

Anyone had anything similar? I originally thought it was the front USB ports on my PC, but no - they're working fine. As are those on my new PC.

Hmmmm! until I read that it is failing to be 'seen' by the X-Rite software on 3 different PC's I would have said uninstall the software and re-install it

But with the sort of failure you describe it makes me wonder if the unit itself has an issue??? Based on what you say Windows device manager is 'seeing' it....................do the properties in Device Manager say it is without error i.e. no Yellow Exclamation mark on the device and the properties saying AOK?

Next step make contact with X-Rite!

Haven't looked in the depths of device manager itself yet on the new PC - this was just on the simplified list of recognised devices.

Tried it on my laptop as a fresh install (haven't used it on the laptop before) with the latest drivers - again, shows in the simplified device list but isn't showing as available in the software.

Yep, saw both of those potential issues, and am using neither bits of software. They also suggest potential conflicts with other anti virus software, but it worked perfectly until recently - a month to 6 weeks ago. Always reluctant to uninstall AV software when it hasn't been a problem before, unless as a completely last resort. One reason I'm asking - see if I'm alone. I suspect I am... Hoping its not a hardware issue, but...

Not quite sure where this one fits, so I'll post here and see where I end up! :)

My Colormunki Display has stopped registering in the Colormunki profiling software on my PC. Well that's not actually true, it's not registering in the Colormunki software on 3 PC's. When I get to the appropriate screen it says "colormunki not connected, please connect now"

It is however registering as a device under settings > devices. I just can't do anything with it!

Anyone had anything similar? I originally thought it was the front USB ports on my PC, but no - they're working fine. As are those on my new PC.

I had this happen the other day. Just unplugged the USB, re booted my pc and plugged it back in. Seemed to do the trick.

I presume you get the "colormunki not connected, please connect now" message when you launch the X-Rite software?
I cannot recall what files X-Rite generates, but could it be a case that somehow the X-Rite files are no longer associated with the X-Rite software?
If you go to "Control Panel" > "Settings" you can see which file type is associated with a particular program and if necessary change the file association.

Paulie, Yeh multiple reboots on all 3 machines and testing USB ports isn't doing anything.

Brian, not when I launch, only when I get to the calibration screen where you'd normally measure ambiant light. I'll have a look and see what file association's there are.

Paulie, Yeh multiple reboots on all 3 machines and testing USB ports isn't doing anything.

Brian, not when I launch, only when I get to the calibration screen where you'd normally measure ambiant light. I'll have a look and see what file association's there are.
I tried launching my software without the colormunki connected, and it behaved exactly the same.
I did a little checking and the files are .icm files and should be located in windows/system32/spool/drivers/color
On my system (with a Dell 2412 monitor) it's called DELL2412M_D65_xxxxxxxxxxxx.icm, there are several files, dated from the last few monthly profile updates.
I had a problem ages ago when the software refused to update (overwrite) the previous profile after a monthly update.
I contacted X-Rite and they were very hepful and we solved the problem, but I can't remember exactly how.

OK, looks like my ColorMunki Display might be dead.

Any suggestions for a replacement? Colormunki Display still the best option, or have things moved on since then?

and I'm guessing there isn't much difference between the X-rite / Datacolor products (ColorMunki / Spyder)?

Does the white LED in the bottom of the unit blink?
Probably a broken USB cable, which may be possible to repair.

I think the "Display"calibrator is good value as a basic monitor calibrator and most of the alternatives are more expensive.
I don't know if the more expensive models offer any more if you are just profiling a monitor, although some enable printer profiling as well.
I remember reading somewhere that the colour filters used by X-rite were more stable and longer lasting than those used by Datacolor.
The X-rite "Display" still appears to be a current item and it's actually cheaper now than when I bought mine.
Very frustrating when these things pack up having been working fine.

Oddly enough, the white light was occasionally blinking and it was detected by the PC, just not the calibration software. X-rite came back and said hardware fault, and as my device is probably 8 years old, it's out of warranty.

Bought an i1 Display Pro to replace it - same price as the Colormunki Display when I bought it. The reviews and comparisons were unequivocal - i1 display pro seems to be the best option you can buy. The device looks the same, but the software is very very different - many more options, though interface is a bit meh.

Back