Colorvision Spyder

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
The newer version of this seem to have reached a much more affordable price now,
:)

Does anyone use one to calibrate their screens?

The blurb says they'll do CRT and LCD screens, I take it they'll also handle TFT screens too :?:

I've only ever used the adobe gamma tool to set my screen up, but i'm wondering if it could be better.

when i bought my TFT it had a little blue square of paper, you had to use the screen setup utility to get it to match that colour.....worked a treat, tests fine

Sounds a little too technical for me m8 ;)

I've been thinking about the spyder because it can be used as the basis for a complete colour management profile, so IF i ever decide to get my main PC running properly and turning on my printer again the images will be perfect.

:)

I have the Spyder2 and it have definitely improved my colour management over standard Adobe Gamma.
It works with CRT and LCD TFT screens. For TFT displays you simply add a section to the front (which comes in the box) which means it puts less pressure on the screen.

I use a spyder.. not bad, and definitely works, but it's useless to an extent, as unless your scanner and printer are also profiled, what's the point? More useful is a system like the Gretag Macbeth Eye one system. This will ICC profile you're entire workflow. You see, even if your monitor is perfect, what if your printer is not? You can adjust the custom colour adjustments as much as you like, but the only way to guarantee what is on your screen comes out of your printer is to have the entire system calibrated, and a custom profile made... not only for the harware, but for your media as well. You should have a profile for each paper you use.

For a quick fix, try and find a ICC profile for your printer. Epson used to have them for free on their site, but I think they make you pay for them now, but I'm sure you'll be able to find them on teh web somewhere.

How you print is also very important. Don;t just press print, and let the printers driver deal with colour.. results will be awful.

If anyone is interested, I'm putting a tutorial in the hints and tips section later tonight.

I use Photobox with their Fuji Frontier Profiles.

Pook

Thank you for your info :)

I do have the ICC profile for my epson 950 and their premium photo glossy papers

I look forward to reading your tutorial,
Colour management always seems to be a very complex process with most of the guides being written by would be astro physisists.

digitalfailure said:
Pook

Thank you for your info :)

I do have the ICC profile for my epson 950 and their premium photo glossy papers

I look forward to reading your tutorial,
Colour management always seems to be a very complex process with most of the guides being written by would be astro physisists.

If you follow each step, it shoudl give you good results. The epson profiles work quite well with Premium glossy paper. The matt paper profiles are not as good tho. Remember that the downloadable profiles are not perfect, and have no way to take your monitor, or printer condition into account. If you can't get good results, then perhaps you need to recalibrate your monitor with the Spyder, or at least re-run Adobe Gamma, and use the seperate RGB gamma curves. Remember, the profiles assume you have a good quality monitor, in good condition, and set up properly with neutral colour.

Back