Colour Grading and haze effect in lightroom

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not sure if this is the correct term... However I'll try to describe.

What techniques do you guys use for colour grading images in lightroom?
I know split toning does this well but I see an effect people use what I can only describe as a semi transparent film overlayed on the image.

What is this effect and how is it achieved in lightroom?

Last edited:
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BietoTZnx6v/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kqujlau7l6vq

If you are on Instagram, just basically this whole guys grid, the tones look so earthy and desaturated, yet the colours which are saturated are deep and moody... But I know they can be softened up to a lighter scene but their just such nice colours.

Thats crushing the blacks. You do that with the tone curve.
Something like this. Obviously you can move the middle anchor point where ever you like to include or less of the shadows.
I've also seen it done without an anchor point, so just lift the black point straight up.

You can also do a similar treatment to the highlights on the other side.

Screenshot 2018-11-20 at 09.34.07.jpg

Last edited:
Wot 'e said. Just raise the black point on the tone curve to the desired level. It's not an especially great effect, often used to simulate the look of a badly exposed film photo, can look OK in the right place.

Colour grading & the faded 'film' look are two different things. Playing with the tone curve is the best way for the faded look. I use it myself on occasion.

I'm not sure if this is the correct term... However I'll try to describe.

What techniques do you guys use for colour grading images in lightroom?

I've done lots..
  1. Adjustments to the individual channels of the tone curve
  2. HSL panel
  3. Split toning
  4. White balance tweaks
  5. Overlay with a coloured local adjustment (e,g. gradient or radial fill), possibly using the range masking stuff.
  6. Mess about with the camera calibration panel
Can't think of any others at the mo' but I'm bound to have missed something.

There was a trend for a while where every other Image posted to the likes of Instagram was Teal and orange with 'crushed blacks' - I don't get it, but if that's what you're into ... This faded look also seems a bit of a hot trend atm, you can get this look by pulling down the Dehaze slider also

Back