Coloured milk craters!!

Name
Rhod
Edit My Images
Yes
Enthused after my last go tried another approach tonight. Couple of drops of milk and food dye as a target, then dropped another onto to it.

Bought the 100mm macro recently with a plan to shoot insects but this is bl***y adictive:LOL:

Comments, critique and especially advice please!

Cheers
Rhod

Fab great take on a well used subject, well done for thinking of something different very nice to see different take on them, :clap: #1s my fav but like to see a different central crop as to me most of it, the black space is well just that IYKWIM but all fab :clap:

Last edited:
Excellent work and all very well captured :clap: My only suggestions would be to try for a deeper reflection! but that's just me... They could also do with a bit of a sharpen, again just my opinion :) Really very good (y)

Excellent work and all very well captured :clap: My only suggestions would be to try for a deeper reflection! but that's just me... They could also do with a bit of a sharpen, again just my opinion :) Really very good (y)

Thanks for the advice, I'll need to find something a bit more reflective than the oven tray :LOL: I'm always wary of sharpening too much so often underdo it!

KJEvans and animal168 - Thanks!

These are fantastic, I'm really glad you're pushing this idea forwards more. :clap:

I think it's been said but a higher gloss surface would be great to see too........

pretty please. :D

Superbly artistic. Nicely done.

Thanks guys(y)

Still trying to find a better reflective surface than the baking tray :LOL: Had a go with glass over black card but ended up with a messy double reflection. Will have to try some new surfaces soon.
Thanks for again for looking!
Rhod

Really liking these shots and am inspired to give this a go myself.

Yep, these work nicely for me too. I like the second with the little surrounding bloblets.

Those are gorgeous, I thought for a second you had coloured milk beneath a black surface liquid - hmm, that might be interesting!

#2 is my favourite, absolutely lovely.

Those are gorgeous, I thought for a second you had coloured milk beneath a black surface liquid - hmm, that might be interesting!

#2 is my favourite, absolutely lovely.

Black liquid:thinking: That's got me thinking!

Yep, these work nicely for me too. I like the second with the little surrounding bloblets.

Really liking these shots and am inspired to give this a go myself.

Fantastic, very creative.

Thanks(y)

Blllllugh look like different flavours of puss lol

Very good!

hi i love this style and have just purchased a mcro lens to have a go myself do you have aphotos of your set up so i could see how to go about it?

thanks

hi i love this style and have just purchased a mcro lens to have a go myself do you have aphotos of your set up so i could see how to go about it?

thanks

Sorry I've no photo and have taken it down now. The set-up is my 50d + 100mm tripod with a cable release mounted about a foot and a half from where the drop will land, manually focussed on this point 1/250 ~f11 iso200ish. Lighting is a 430ex from one side with a tin foil reflector opposite. Flash set to manual zoom 105mm and 1/16 or 1/32 power. The dropper is a syringe body clamped above a baking tray with a small piece of plastic tubing and a small tap to control the drops.

Hope this helps!

Great shots and timing, Although I would have liked to see all the little drops cloned out just leaving the main subject no distractions. The second shot is very messy.
Why not try some black perspex, I think it would give the reflection you are looking for.

Allan

Well I don't know if I'd call it 'messy.' I know the tiny drops distract from the crown-shape, but I've seen so many perfect crown-splashes that it's nice to see some pictures with a little more character.

Just my 2p :shrug:

Great shots and timing, Although I would have liked to see all the little drops cloned out just leaving the main subject no distractions. The second shot is very messy.
Why not try some black perspex, I think it would give the reflection you are looking for.

Allan

I thought the drops added something to the images:(

The perpex is a great idea - had some on order for a few days now will have to chase it(y)

Sorry I've no photo and have taken it down now. The set-up is my 50d + 100mm tripod with a cable release mounted about a foot and a half from where the drop will land, manually focussed on this point 1/250 ~f11 iso200ish. Lighting is a 430ex from one side with a tin foil reflector opposite. Flash set to manual zoom 105mm and 1/16 or 1/32 power. The dropper is a syringe body clamped above a baking tray with a small piece of plastic tubing and a small tap to control the drops.

Hope this helps!

does the room need to be in darkness?

thanks for the advice

does the room need to be in darkness?

thanks for the advice

I keep the ambient light level low. I think I read somewhere it should be about 5 stops under exposed without the flash. I've not measured it just keep the light dim.

Back