ColourMunki and Canon 9500

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm planning on getting a new photo printer and the Canon 9500 is looking favourite at the moment... However, my colour profiling is way off the mark, with jpgs showing poor colours on other computers/monitors and dark prints from my printer or lab. My screen brightness is set to the minimum, so i'm hoping it's poor profiling. Hence why I was thinking of getting the ColourMunki as well.

Before wasting money, does any one know if the combination will work together to get decently profiled Jpegs and prints form a laptop, running Windows7 (32bit), CS4 and LR2.2

:thinking: :) Neil.

I'd buy the colormunki first then think about the printer. I have a SPyder Pro and have had mixed results until I decided to update the software and read the manual. My Monitor was way out. Now even without profiling my printer ( Canon Pixma 9000 ) I am much closer getting nearly perfect output..
Last night I profiled my printer and paper and got an almost bang on result.
The only slight problem for me now is that the prints are very fractionaly darker, but I put this down to the screen being transmissive and the paper reflective.
The colormunki which one of my mates has doesn't care what the printer is, it calibrates the output and doen't give a stuff what the printer is :D

Thanks Chris. I've thought about the printer and i'm not happy with this one anyway, as it shows banding, even with a new cartridge and decent paper. I get the impression that it is quite important to read the manuals for any of the profiling devices. It's a fair investment, but then so was CS4, which isn't much use without reprodusable colours.

As said above the colormunki will calibrate pretty much most inkjet printers, but you do need to make sure you calibrate the monitor first.
I have used a colormunki design to make a profile and have to say it is just about the easiest print calibrator you could ever come across and gives pretty immpresive results.
However the 9500 also comes with an excellent little extra that prints out a sheet of shots that have various settings and you compare them by eye to get a match to your monitor and its suprisingly good
A well calibrated 9500 will give you some awesome quality prints, it's a really good printer, and I understand the mk2 is far more economical on ink than the mk1

spyder 3 print just records patches just like colormunki - the inkjet printer it comes from is irrelavent.

The colormunki which one of my mates has doesn't care what the printer is, it calibrates the output and doen't give a stuff what the printer is :D

Well being as there were no posts advising against it, and I'm now prety confident they will both work with Win7, I have gone and ordered the Colourmonkey photo and 9500 mk2. So hopefully I won't be too embarrased by the colours in my pictures in the future.

Hangs head in shame... canon :puke: :LOL: Roll on Tuesday morning

Thanks folks (y)

A day later than I hoped for, but thats the norm with delivery up here.

Having now profiled my laptop screen, it is realy obvious why the pictures looked dark and oversaturated elsewhere. Some of the images that I previously had lab printed and hated, are now almost matched by what is displayed on screen :puke:.

The ColourMunki software instalation was easy, with no snags on Win7. Starting the software and connecting the device pulled up the registration page, which only took a minute to sort. First off, I profiled the monitor in easy mode and can say that the ColourMunki is easy to use. Just follow the onscreen prompts, doing what is shown and two minutes later, the profile is saved and set as the default :) Afterwards, I also tried the advanced mode, which has user inputs for limonosity brightnes and contrast. I skiped the contrast setting, but actualy had to increase the screen brightness from the minimum setting. The end result looked quite close to the easy mode but only took a few seconds more.

Set up and instalation of the printer software for the 9500 was painless too, and quite quick compared to HP (HP should stick to making sauce). Using the ColourMunki, setting a printer profile took a while, allowing 10 minutes drying time for the two test sheets... Even so, it still took less than 30 minutes from start to finish and, was just a case of following the onscreen prompts and doing what was asked. Theres even links to a relevant video clip if your not sure what is required for a step :cool: .

Using the above profiles, with the printer managing the colour, the first print from LR gave a print that I'm happy with at last. Now I need to read and re-read the manual about the best settings, for what handles the colour management :rules: :dummy:

you doin't let the printer manage colours when you use ICC profiles. you let the software do it.

I have two 9500 mk1's and I also use the ColorMunki Photo.

I have had no issues at all with colour matching...The only issue I have is if I use a second monitor.....The second monitor also has to be calibrated with the Munki and then ensure the correct profile is used for each...problematic when using different manufacturers ...I even have problems when using the same manufacturers lol...

Big thumbs up for both 9500 and ColrMunki.

I use the Munki to profile my Mitsubishi Dye Subs too....Works better than the standard profiles supplied by Mitsubishi...

A big issue that many people may not be aware of is the gradual deteriation of your monitors to display the correct colours... and also brightness...ColorMunki reminds you to recalibrate at a period set by the user...I look at re-calibrating every month or so..

datacolor spyder does this also.

A big issue that many people may not be aware of is the gradual deteriation of your monitors to display the correct colours... and also brightness...ColorMunki reminds you to recalibrate at a period set by the user...I look at re-calibrating every month or so..

Thanks Tug. One issue I have found is something occasionaly over-rides the CM settings on the monitor. I'm not sure which software or process is causing this, as it has only happened twice, but not a huge problem so far. I have just restarted the CM gamma program from the startup programs list.

I've read the Canon manual and followed the instructions for printing with profiles :) Thats me now happy with the printer settings saved for different uses, so now it's only a couple of clicks for printing from non CM or CM programs, on A4, A3 and A3+ sizes.

Thanks Tug. One issue I have found is something occasionaly over-rides the CM settings on the monitor. I'm not sure which software or process is causing this, as it has only happened twice, but not a huge problem so far. I have just restarted the CM gamma program from the startup programs list.

I've read the Canon manual and followed the instructions for printing with profiles :) Thats me now happy with the printer settings saved for different uses, so now it's only a couple of clicks for printing from non CM or CM programs, on A4, A3 and A3+ sizes.

Neil,

Before printing on large sized media, try out the print/image on a smaller (6x4)copy of the same paper...Its an added initial cost but saves you considerably in the future...

Especially as you say that you may have other apps changing the profiling.

Tug Wilson

Neil,

Before printing on large sized media, try out the print/image on a smaller (6x4)copy of the same paper...Its an added initial cost but saves you considerably in the future...

Especially as you say that you may have other apps changing the profiling.

Tug Wilson

A sheet of A3 with a crease or marks, makes 4 sheets of A5 (y)

Very true, but it's an expensive way to do a test print...wasting a whole sheet of a3 for potentially one test print.

I guess it would be useful if you didnt have any 6x4 of the same type and it was a rush job.

Back