Critique Come to pappa

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
:D Well ya know he properly did,That's just starting here. with this image Ahh bless, fella does still have some spots he's this years one of possible twins,and the rotter scared of my baby hare so he sort of owed me.:cool:

Ya know those last chance days for a while,ya whisper to the gods for for some magical light and then something to actually be around to sit against that magic,Wild liufe photography is so damn hard !! Ya get grey and more grey,lie untiil the bones say enough for nowt:rolleyes:,have a blumming bunny freak me leveret another 50 yards after 100 yards crawl and dare I say a bit of more grief to the bones. My lush green field is now brown so is attracting little. tis wildlife you've done ya home work,you go and sort of hope a bit. little by little the reality of the grind of tomorrrow gets closer and nowt a frame fired ,Oh diid I mention grey:oops: :$ I was just firing my first frame of at little hare,and this orange showed back of frame. Leveret is spookier than a cat on coals,the old bill in a chopper also sent him packing:banghead: Off he went again,b*gger.

It's good really guys he's very very sharp,I got something lovely of him to keep and that sharpness will keep him alive it's wicked

So here's the rascal that sent me baby packing , hard as itis I'll take it:whistle:

. Kinda stupidly lovely this roe encounter;) ,I'm lying on dead sprayed rape my cover is completely nowt,he knows I'm there but is a baby so not too bothered,although I've had some proper stares:D he's munched some black beries,which I missed cause I'm a half whit,and then sauntered over,after what has to be said was the longest wee ever:D. The things one learns from getting achy bones and being too damn pig headed to go home huh !! I play roe a bit I love them but this is my first real chance at a ( BIG ) baby,utterly enchanting creature OMG so fluffy:love: !!

I'll see my self out:p
Canon 1dxii 400 DO is ii 1/1600 f8 iso 16000 Dpp colour nr pscc selective nr sharps I've not ever been in a place with so many roe and muntjac at once,a hell of a way to end a grey weekend, ! what a blast !! Yes I know 800mm oh I wish I'd have been wider

_S2I0334 sept roe kid smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care

stu

Huge reward for your efforts Stu mate, a lovely creature that gave you a well earned treat.

We have them nearby, both wild and enclosed (not tame but more forgiving than the wild ones), one (wild) gave me a proper fright down the lane as it was getting dark one night out with the dogs. Crashed it's way through the trees and stood, there, staring straight at me and my 2 Weimaraners and Border Collie. We all froze, it was quite comical. A few seconds and it was off.

This is a lovely image and that iso, wow. Grey days are back, as you say, and yes, we can all wish for soft, golden light but this is a corker. Love it!

Such a cutie Stu, really babyish including the rather fuddled expression. I love roe, though they can be so funny sometimes. Once on my motorbike on the way to work one came crashing down a high bank to land in the road in front of me, looked round and it was 'Wuh............what is that thing? It's a red thing but.............wha..........' as it then tried to turn and run, but its hooves were slipping and its legs were all ways, just like Bambi. I nearly fell off laughing.

have they got Roe in with the boar Dale?? I felt my best best was with the 2x with the leveret,but I really wish I'd have been wider,framing was very tough at the end had to go portait and even then only barely got fella in frame on the vertical had to cut body in half though:(. They often circle me as they come in Dale, lying down and shooting off elbows means tracking is tricky to say the least I really milked this mate,they were our only images for the day. Funny how one bit of luck can transform a sortie from a blank to something special to cherish for life.

Dale the eve before a had a young buck come,I would guess a yearling. the light had gone completely,again to much time taken in the stalk. The images not great nice as a record though. When a had a play with one in post my jaw was almost on the floor,these files are simply amazing.,

Thanks for the words bro again very kind,roe are such fun I think my love is becuase they our only native in these parts,nearest red would be Exmoor I guess. I do very occassionally have a practice session with Reds,but it isn't the same with them being captive and tame.

Janny thanks also for the kind words, and to BOTH of you the lovely stories made me giggle I can visualise both !!!!

'erm it seems I've always i've always been soft Jan:rolleyes: Mum took me to see Bambi when it came out, I was tiny.................. I cried so much when bambi's dad got caught by the fire mum had to take me home apparently I was inconsolable. Which if I recollect from later watches was very early in the film so I pretty much ruined that.

Janny I was quite shocked to see the horn buds already,fella is a good size but as you say very much still a baby. there was a doe about and another kidlet,but i'm unsure with so many deer around whether this was independent or still with mum,I simply don't know enough to make a call either way

thanks again both

stu .

there was a doe about and another kidlet,but i'm unsure with so many deer around whether this was independent or still with mum,I simply don't know enough to make a call either way

I think young roe stay with the doe for up to a year, and she could well have had twins. I was once watching a buck pursuing a doe round a field of high vegatation - crop or grass I can't remember but it was half way up the pair's bodies. Turned out there was a youngster between them but it had to keep jumping up to see out. So funny.

You've done it again Stu, Wonderful image......... The little fella is just walking along minding his own business with not a clue that your there taking his picture.
Well done Stu

I'd expect that Janny that's what I see with fallow As always I'ma wreck,can't think... I had maize then a grass game crop to my immediate left then woodland,so I'm utterly unable to see anything left of me. Mum might well have been looking down on me from 2yrds for all I actually know.!1 Wind was left to right as image taken so she could be right there and never know I(We) was (were). present at all

I was surprised something so young was apparently on it's own Jan,that's what I was trying to say.

My above comment is poorly worded and ill concieved.......... 'cause i'm a basket case shakes head It's funny ,Jan;) I have images to refute the above:banghead:,i'm simply battered senseless by the time I get in. I do know they stay together a good while yet not exactly when they part . I was surpirsed little man was alone, but we had the wind at our backs so mum and sibling could well have been right there. but yeah it stuck me.little spotty guy where's mum

Jan We spent a good while on saturday last watching a mum roe with twins.I know they are together now,I don't know when exactly they part !! I suspect they don't completely. Jan for a while here at home there was a spot where I could find 7 Roe laid up they were so reliable that when I got my 550d and mega reach kit lens I was ordered off to get a deer pic I came home with two first day,:D Might point being I think there is a social side to roe

You've done it again Stu, Wonderful image......... The little fella is just walking along minding his own business with not a clue that your there taking his picture.
Well done Stu

Thanks mate too kind, erm but no buddy.................
John he totally knows I'm there he has done for around 5 mins,he has no idea what so ever what I am(what's new),but oh he knows !! They can hear the dxii shutter miles away bro i'm just a ragbag of camo with moving feet and that make a clicking sound the shape no white blobs are the biggies. and a big shiny glass circle There is nothing to associate me with the apex predator I reallly am He can see me as clear as rain I have maybe a half inch of cover. Roe short sight is pretty hopeless:whistle: if they can't smell ya which eventually he did and you present your self as no threat and click madly.they come to see what on earth you are. I'd love to know if they do it twice;) For a good while he'd have a stare then munch tried to get past the wire sheep fence nabbed a few BB's I took no images ,all I could see was wire fence. He took around 11mins to actually get closest all the time I'm in full view. all the time scrabbling around .

you have to have the wind you have to be very small :)

Thanks mate too kind, erm but no buddy.................
John he totally knows I'm there he has done for around 5 mins,he has no idea what so ever what I am(what's new),but oh he knows !! They can hear the dxii shutter miles away bro i'm just a ragbag of camo with moving feet and that make a clicking sound the shape no white blobs are the biggies. and a big shiny glass circle There is nothing to associate me with the apex predator I reallly am He can see me as clear as rain I have maybe a half inch of cover. Roe short sight is pretty hopeless:whistle: if they can't smell ya which eventually he did and you present your self as no threat and click madly.they come to see what on earth you are. I'd love to know if they do it twice;) For a good while he'd have a stare then munch tried to get past the wire sheep fence nabbed a few BB's I took no images ,all I could see was wire fence. He took around 11mins to actually get closest all the time I'm in full view. all the time scrabbling around .

you have to have the wind you have to be very small :)
Thanks for the extra info Stu. It makes the photo even more interesting. I would have sworn he had no idea you were there. Well done Stu

Very welcome John, I wanted clarity for you,these fieldcraft types of technique are not widely talked about. The possibility of a wild animal approaching a human out of curiosity especially herbivores like deer and hares is counter intuitive,they should run. I'm sure there must be folks out there whom simply don't believe this can happen,
If one can put it into action it has the potential to give rich pickings to an image maker.. It also gets one past that hurdle of reach. I've had fallow come and check me out as well as roe and hares,not tame deer John these are as wild as they get.and also predated by man. .

Besides the images, the chances one gets,it's very special for me personally when this happens It's sort of magical having something so wild come to me not run from me,it's a rush :cool:

Another nice shot Stu mate and with the low pov, top detail too in the young roe's coat, the 1dxii really pulls out that detail as well. The 400DOii with a 2x on the end of it works a treat too Stu even with eye popping iso at 16000 which gives a good argument to going full frame mate.

Martin

Hey buddy cheers for the above............ with the option of 5div and it's dense sensor plus 800mm FF should be mused. The newer sensor tech is bewildering,low light performance astounding. The real limit for me mate is that f8 eats light !!! Maybe each body had a place where it will shine above the others Martin be it 7dii 5div or 1DXii I'm still exploring really and have no experience of the 7dii. I've not missed the 1.3crop factor of the 1Div at all,but I don't shoot so many small birds as many do .

Me being me Martin I don't really know what we all see as individuals...this file is resized down to 1200x800. I just don't know how we see IQ at this small size. I try desparately not to crop anyway but especially anything high iso wise. The files are simply amazing to work with,how Canon's DPP interacts primarily has had me scratching my head.. I feel that the full frame option is really something for you to think about bro. I know tis more money that we graft so hard to find,whether it's a 5div or 1dxii or even the 1dx, I'd really prefer the newest sensor tech if I'm honest.

I wouldn't want to advise you mate,you know me I'm not that guy. But we use the same amazing tool so maybe some thoughts are of use from me. The techs say it all really mate The 2x works like a charm if there is enough light to power it all,it does pretty damn well in low light too. But really I feel with time I'll pull the 2x as light drops (if possible that is,ext changes are a pain in the field).

Have a ponder mate:D

stu..

Back