Critique Common garden birds

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Nikon D500, Nikon 80-200mm F2.8, with Kenko Pro 1.4TC. Photos are heavily cropped and have been run through Topaz Denoize.
Im not happy the way it "posterises" some of the feather detail in the robin shot. The original unedited is dark and noisy at 800 ISO. SS of 1/1000. F4.5. Maybe this was my downfall. I was handheld but had a firm ledge to lean on.
Everyone seems to be able to produce fantastic, detailed bird shots, but mine always seem a bit MEH!
_JAY4680-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr
_JAY4634-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr
_JAY4515-Edit by jason greenwood, on Flickr

Hi, I am just a humble hobbyist ... --- First of all, all your pics are beautiful! (y) They seem to lack little in finer details, but this may due to the equipment used and the PP software. -

With different equipment (Nikon D800 - Sigma 150-600C) one can take pics like these :

D80_9442-s150c-tp.jpg

D80_9659-s150c-tp-df.jpg

D80_8687-n70c-tp.jpg

(The camera sits on a tripod on my dining-room table. )

Everyone seems to be able to produce fantastic, detailed bird shots, but mine always seem a bit MEH!

Basically, you need to get closer (either physically, or with a longer lens) and try and catch your subject in good light. For the crispest results, ideally you need a fast shutter speed and low ISO. Getting good quality shots in gloomy winter conditions by a shady hedge can be difficult, even if you get close. I have taken pictures of my garden robin from six inches away and still got mediocre results because the light was so bad.

Thanks. I've got the Nikon 200-500mm but as the light was gloomy, i wanted a faster lens fitted so went with the 80-200 F2.8 and the 1.4 TC. Maybe im doing something wrong in my PP also as i seem to lose a lot of detail.

Might be worth showing some unedited shots with settings. The D500 doesn't have any problems with a well exposed file at ISO 800 but if you're doing massive crops then you're going to lose IQ hand over fist.

Just my 2p, but in this scenario I'd have shot a well exposed frame with the 200-500 at ISO 3200 for the best IQ, especially if you have the Topaz software

Get a good file, and with a little TLC in PP you should be fine

Mike

Last edited:
shutter speed of 1000 is a bit high for static birds imho
i never use my 70-200 f2.8 for birding always my 200-500 f5.6 on my d500

Back