Common Seal Pup

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Whilst looking for a female Bluethroat on Kilnsea beach one morning, this Common Seal pup was driven up onto the beach by its mother, I can only imagine she did this to protect it from a rather large Bull Grey Seal that was patrolling just off-shore. I'm not sure if the Grey Seal would have tried to kill it, but I suppose the Common Seal mother wasn't taking any chances.

Canon 1D3, Canon 500f4LIS + 1.4TC, Gitzo1325

Common-seal-pup-web-1024 by Xtrail Andy, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and thanks for all the feedback on my Stoat shots, they were very much appreciated.

Andy...

Last edited:
A lovely image Andy ... and nice to know that the mum thought more of you than the bull seal! :D

Cheers Roger ( I hope your name is Roger as I keep calling you it? ), I don't think the mother seal even saw me ( crouched down behind the old concrete structures ) though I have to admit, the Bull Grey Seal was slightly better looking than me ;)

Lovely capture,is that time of year already?

Very nice sharp image. How close was you, to the subject?

Cheers Guys, pleased you like it.

@Jonothan, the seal came quite close ( I was in a concealed position and could not be seen ) at times it was within the minimum focus distance of the 500f4LIS+1.4TC, the shot is full frame with a few pixels dropped off for composition.

Love seal pups and nice pic

Personally I would have liked it more if it was more at ground level.

Cheers Martin...Unfortunately I couldn't get any lower due to the Gitzo Leveling Base, the last thing you want to do is get one of those full of sand :(

Back