Compact flash problems.

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
Is anyone aware of problems with Sandisk and Lexar cards?

Apparently Users of the 20D, 1Dmk2 and 1Dsmk2 are having problems.
The three main issues are:

1. frame corruption
2. entire blocks of files go missing
3. camera locks up

Some people have even sent their cameras back as they think thats the problem.

I personally use Integral iPro cards and upto now have not had a problem.

I have read of several people having some of those issues with the 20D and the latest Lexar Pro (80x)cards, apparently it is connected with Lexar’s write acceleration technology. Conversely there are many reports of the 20D loving Sandisk Ultra II cards so much so that there is virtually no speed gains at all with using the supposedly faster and obviously more expensive Ultra III versions.

I can't offer any more info as to how the above mentioned cards function with other models in the Canon line up though and the above are not my personal experiences, just opinions from people and sources I trust.

I suspect its the same problem with both of the latest and greatest speed merchant CF cards, im using Integral and couldnt be happier ! :) With decent buffering in the 20D i doubt i am ever going to need a card that fast anyway ! lol

My first 20D had problems reading from any card at all and the body went back and was exchanged. Since then I've had no problems at all using mainly a Sandisk Ultra II 1gig card.

IanC_UK said:
DaveG said:
I use Sandisk Ultra II with no probs. No issues with the Lexar 40x either.

I think its the Ultra III and Lexar 80x that are the problem ! :)

I use a ultra II in a 350d... no problems.. then again, maybe the 350d is OK with the Lexar as well, but to be honest, the speed of the ultra II is impressive enough.

Ultra II for me in the 20D and no problems whatsoever! :D

Ultra II was going to be my other choice, but i got the 2gb integral card for under £100 (including delivery etc etc) which was an offer i couldnt refuse ! ;) the Ultra III cards are still stupid expensive, and after hearing about these problems i wouldnt waste the money on them.

Back