COMPETITION: Design Your Own Magazine Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Have you got an image on your Computer that you keep looking at and thinking "I'd love to see that as a cover of a magazine"... Well, here's your chance. Well - maybe not a Real magazine, but the ultimate in "vanity publishing" - Design your own magazine cover, and enter it to this for-fun competiton...

Grab one of your favourite images, think what kind of Magazine it'd work with, dream up a Title for a new Magazine in that particular Genre and go to town in your favourite editing software.

For Example, here's a "spoof" magazine cover I created a couple of years ago, as an alternative to a "good luck with your new business" greetings card, when a friend started his new Landscaping and Gardening company - "Mr Greenfingers"

9458-1419678408-68200542828450066b1aa31711746ecb.jpg

Parodies of existing magazines are fine, but please don't directly copy other magazine's logos, names or artwork... there's still plenty of scope though (think "Vague" magazine or "Amish Photographer"...) Oh - and keep it clean and work-safe please, no Playboy (or worse) spoofs...

OR, you could just come up with something entirely different... who knows, maybe a magazine publisher may see this thread and come knocking at your door with a publishing deal.

The Technical Bit...
Entries should be in Portrait Orientation, and to be in-keeping with typical magazine sizing, either A4 (210x297mm) or large octavo (275x210mm) in shape - which would translate to a file dimensions of 1200x848px or 1200x916. Please keep to a maximum longest side of 1200px.

Submissions to be made in a separate entries thread (LINK HERE)

One Submission per member only please. Maximum of THREE entries per member please..

Competition will be open for entries from 12:01am 7th March 2015 for 30 days, at which point (well - 23:59pm on the 6th April) we'll close the entries and run a poll to decide the winning entry.

No Prizes for this one I'm afraid - it's just for fun - though we MAY be able to bribe @Marcel to come up with a "custom tag" for the winner...

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, or discuss the competition in this thread.

Last edited:
Love it!!!! Right up my alley! I'm in!

If I had been allowed to put money on the first person to respond to this, it would have been you Bethy :D :banana: Can't wait to see what folks produce!

Just for info, this is the first of a few one off fun challenges we are planning for this year, so watch out for them over the coming months everyone. :woot:

and, in case anyone fancies a little more "inspiration" (and, seeing as I'm organising this competition, it'd be a bit "off" if I were to enter it...) here's something I knocked up when I was "pitching" the idea for this competition...

1640-1387555741-a653bf5a863d8b7d4e6982d9a4b94d23.jpg

If I get a minute or two I might have a go at this as well.

Shame it's only one entry... I have a number of ideas, but probably however not the spare time to execute them!

I know what you mean TBH - i've done a few of these things in the past, as I said in the original post, the first one started off as a very personalised "good luck" card... I was dead chuffed when a couple of weeks later, I turned up at my mates office and he'd had it framed, and put on the wall (hey, it's not often anything I do gets taken seriously, I have to enjoy it when I can...)

Don't forget Folks - PLEASE DON'T use Actual Magazine's Names / Logos / Artwork which may be copyrighted... Spoofs of the same are fine - indeed I'd positively encourage them - but the last thing we want is some massive Publishing Corporation's legal section coming down on TP like a ton of bricks...

Like it Mike, hope that competition isn't just a rights grab though... ;)
Thanks, I've made a few tweaks to some of the text. I did think about putting a little * somewhere saying 'by entering you agree to give us all copyright to your images and you may not supply your image to anyone else or use it for personal reasons'

After a lot of work, most of it learning, mine is up. Hope it's okay, I yahoo'd the magazine name and it didn't come up.

@Marcus Geezer I wish I had you skills, very well done :notworthy::clap:

Hi Mike,

Thanks fella, your entry is pretty cool, looks very professional. I've tried panning and taking shots like you have, the skill eludes me so hats off to you. As for skills, I've been training (a lot paid for) and practicing hard with photoshop now for over 3 years, with a view to always having a commercial offering. Every image I produce for personal projects such as this one, I always learn a new skill. This time it was about creating metallic looking text!

Some great entries so far, well done!

I now have my idea, its just a case of learning half of the PS skills ill need to actually do it :D

Hi Mike,

Thanks fella, your entry is pretty cool, looks very professional. I've tried panning and taking shots like you have, the skill eludes me so hats off to you. As for skills, I've been training (a lot paid for) and practicing hard with photoshop now for over 3 years, with a view to always having a commercial offering. Every image I produce for personal projects such as this one, I always learn a new skill. This time it was about creating metallic looking text!
Thank you (y) . I've always enjoined doing this sort of thing since using ms digital image. I designed my own fliers/price lists for my business and posters for my wife's childminding business and Zumba class. But I'm only just scratching what elements could do and now I've got Photoshop I have loads too learn.

Some pretty ace entries so far... Another well done from me [emoji4]

Sorry Mark...couldn't resist it :)

Some fantastic Images coming in folks... Really enjoying seeing your interpretations...

shameless thread bump time...

come on folks - still plenty of time to get your entries in, we don't close until 23:59pm on the 6th April...

Is it just one entry per person dude?

well - that's what I put in the original post, but I must confess I was hoping for a few more entries...

How about we restrict it to three entries per member ? It's not as if there's a mahoosive financial prize at stake is there ?

Hope there will be more entries....loving looking at the different ideas. Hope it will be like the POTY where there is a last minute rush to get entries in.

Hope it will be like the POTY where there is a last minute rush to get entries in

part of why I've opened up to three entries... that way people don't necessarily have to hold everything back until the last minute...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back