Completely new to photography!!

Name
krystal
Edit My Images
No
Hi! I brought my Nikon D3300 on thursday and i managed to go for a walk to a lovly lake/foresty bit right next to my house. I wasnt expecting to find much but we found an animan skull, not sure what it is but i suspect a rabbit? anyway I took these photos using manual mode, let me know what you think. please bare in mind this was my first go at using a camera.

Terrible were my first takes, you did much better than
I a long time ago on my first walk in Vieux-Montréal!

There is the same WB issue in the skull takes. The flo-
wers are well framed and my pick is the cat playing hide
and seek with you, yours? The tree trunk was a first try,
I understand that but, contrary to the others, it has less
attention grabbing features than all the others.

Cool Krystal, do it again and again and again and again… (y)

hi

my 2p....:)

#1 and #2....have you set the camera WB white balance to 'Auto'
looks a darkish location - so maybe set the WB to 'shade' or whatever
can you check the histogram on a D3300 - if its to the left - its too dark and you can alter the EV exposure value to shift the histogram to the right
dont know the D3300 so maybe (probable) incorrect....:)

as 'the man' above said ....................shoot LOTS.!

To add to what has been said above.
Manual mode is only necessary occasionaly do not get hung up on using it doe snot make you a better photographer.

Having said that switching to MF for the cat shot if you had time may have helped you focus on the cat if that is what you wanted to do.

Keep shooting lots.

Thank you everyone for your input! I will take everything on board. I wish i had more time with the cat it was playing in the woods and there were a loot of dog walkers so i had to act fast! I wanted to have to cat in focus but i still think i liked how it turned out :D

The flower shot is cool, well done. The second skull shot is a good composition, consider making it B&W.
Now get out at every opportunity and shot, review, learn, repeat. And don't forget there's hundreds of year of experience on these forums so don't be afraid to ask a question no matter how silly you might think it is.
Look forward to seeing your progress and improvement.

Mr Drizz....

''...The second skull shot is a good composition,...''

agreed - however i learnt - having composed the shot in the viewfinder - take a look over the camera to see what you've missed
in this case you've cut the skull off at the top

i would have step backwards. and allowed enough foreground and background for a square crop - which I think in this case would be very suitable

Back