Computer issues

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
RAWTherapee is NOT a safe program - beware folks if you download it. It has taken my other editing program out of commission, one I have used for years quite happily. Trying to reinstall my old program (bought, not subscribed) it is now telling me my computer is not suitable for it to run on... just what has RAWTherapee done to my computer?

How would I know that? I haven't had a message otr anything.

Did you leave the machine running overnight, just coming back to it today? I've just found 3 updates waiting to be installed for 'patch Tuesday' (Microsoft issue updates on Tuesdays unless they're world-stoppingly urgent). I assume this is your W10 machine, rather than W7?

No. I turn it off every night. Always have.
I am completely out of my depth with these new cameras - I had similar trouble with the Fuji XT2 - that only lasted a month. I had to give up and go back to my Nikon that I know. Now this thing has completely scuppered everything, at least the Fuji it was just a case of I couldn't work it, they didn't bugger up what I already had. What I need now is someone who can help me wipe the computer of whatever and get my NXD back on the computer, at least then I will be back to where I was before I bought the drone... I have no idea how to use these modern programs. I took one look at Lightroom tutorials and realised it was way out of my league.

Last edited:
No. I turn it off every night. Always have.
I am completely out of my depth with these new cameras - I had similar trouble with the Fuji XT2 - that only lasted a month. I had to give up and go back to my Nikon that I know. Now this thing has completely scuppered everything, at least the Fuji it was just a case of I couldn't work it, they didn't bugger up what I already had. What I need now is someone who can help me wipe the computer of whatever and get my NXD back on the computer, at least then I will be back to where I was before I bought the drone... I have no idea how to use these modern programs. I took one look at Lightroom tutorials and realised it was way out of my league.
Can you go back to a restor point?

What version of windows are you running and what version of NXD are you trying to run? From what I can gather from your post, are you editing your photos in capture nxd for Nikon? The latest version is available to download for free - so should run without problems on Windows 10.

This would be useful to know.

Can you go back to a restor point?

Very good point - Simon may need help walking through restore.

I am on 64-bit Windows 7 professional.

I have never heard of 'restore'... I have never had any need to do anything, the confuser has worked perfectly up until now.

@Lensflare

Simon, can I just check something with you in regard to your version of Nikon Capture NXD

I have found this page for what I surmise is the current version 1.6.2 and it does not list Windows 7 as an operating system?
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/166.html

So, when you say you tried re-installing it was this from the original installer file from some time back or that you had downloaded a new copy as per what I found above.

Therefore, if you downloaded the most up to date NXD installer that seems to be the root of your issue in respect of reinstalling it.

Though of course it is not clear as to what the issue is with Raw Therapee.

Two things occur to me:-
Raw Therapee either by default or installation options took over as the default image file program? Thus NXD was still on your PC but now needs re-associating to the image file type(s).

It is possible that raw Therapee as part of its installation updated some core W7 libraries and that stopped NXD launching?

Last edited:
I’ve been reading your other post about the troubles you’re having.

From what I can gather the following is accurate:
Windows 7 pro
Nikon NX2
Install Rawtherapee
Nikon NX2 ‘has gone’
Nikon NXD isn’t compatible

Correct me / us where we’re wrong.....

First thing... NXD (the latest version of the Nikon editor) won’t work on win 7.
Second .... it’s not clear if NX2 has been uninstalled from your computer. The NXD installer may ask to remove previous versions - but I don’t know.

We need to verify if NX2 has actually been uninstalled or if Rawtherapee has set itself to be the default raw viewer.
Add/remove programs should show all the installed programs on your machine .....

I have found this D3 support page
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/1/D3.html

Clicking the Software tab lists available software but NXD is only the W10 compatible version!

However, NX2 is listed and its specification does list Windows 7 as one of the operating systems that is is designed for :)

Thanks for all your efforts guys.
I can't answer half of the questions, because I don't know - but that video posted above, I followed it and wrote down the steps... went back several days, I can't remember how many, but enough and at least I have NXD back again (YES, NXD, on Windows 7!) I did have NX2, but as I have discovered how NXD works I am happy to leave it at that. If my new computer has got Windows 10 on it, then NXD will carry over, so I will have more continuity than trying to leant a whole new layout for just doing simple curve tweeks, essentially. The blemish removal tool is easy to use on the Nikon programs too.

Now at least I am back to where I was, now I need to work out how to use the RAW pictures off the drone. The Darkspace that Cyborg mentioned is weird but I it seems easier than Lightroom and I have been put right off Therapee, as you might imagine.

As I said on the drone thread, it isn't the physical flying aspect that I am going to have trouble with, it is the 'computer' aspects that I don't know enough about. Before I install anything else, I am going to find plenty of tutorials first, then decide which one. At least with NXD I have a book I can refer to for each step.

Simon

I am glad you have managed to get back to "happy place" on your computer.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have never delved so deep into a computer before. I will get someone to help me load Darktable, in such a way that it only turns on when I go to it and turn it on myself. I am happy that Nikon Transfer works when I put a camera card in (from the Nikon) It doesn't with the card from the drone camera. That is my next learning curve, how to get pictures off the camera card so I can work on them.... it might sound simple, but it has caused me so much heart and head ache.

Since you seem to have sorted this out and it seems it was nothing to do with RawTherapee, could you change the title of the thread. Should not be defaming RawTherapee, which is a fine piece of software I for one have used for years!

Since you seem to have sorted this out and it seems it was nothing to do with RawTherapee, could you change the title of the thread. Should not be defaming RawTherapee, which is a fine piece of software I for one have used for years!

No, I won't because it WAS Raw Therapee that created the problem by installing itself over the top of everything else. Or something like that. My computer has only been restored to something like normal, although my NX2 is lost forever, despite it working perfectly up until that Raw program was installed. I could understand that one too. NXD is something similar, except it doesn't have the colour control points that I had on NX2, my computer can't run the later NXD which was given the control points from NX2.

Back