Computer Speaker Recomendations

Edit My Images
Yes
OK I am after some new computer speakers as I am fed up with the ones I have.

At the moment I have a Logitec set with a sub and 2 satellite speakers which also has a separate volume control dial.

The problem with my current set up is that it keeps going to sleep, if there is no sound for a short period of time the speakers turn themselves off and it can sometimes take up to 5 seconds or more of sound for them to turn on again which is a right royal pain.

So I am in the market for some new computer speakers so if anyone can recommend some that would be great.

Not looking to spend a fortune and they must not have a stupid auto turn off feature either

Last edited:
What do you want from a pair of speakers, and what do you want to spend Keith ?
Do you want some that have an amp built in, in which case look at active monitors, or active near-field monitors.
The things that are often sold as 'Computer Speakers' are often fairly poor sounding (or at least they used to be)
I have just ordered a pair of these -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitSound-Reunion-Wireless-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B06XGT1QM7

but had these recommended to me too -

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Fostex-PM03D-30W-Active-Monitors-Black-Pair/SR4

Both will plug in in exactly the same way, should sound excellent compared to the few Logitec pc speakers I have heard but if you need pounding bass then they may need a sub. I somehow don't see you as someone who listens to rap or thrash metal at neighbour-annoying levels so doubt you will...

As an alternative, it might be worth looking at bookshelf speakers and a micro amp but it would be good to hear a little more about what you want before I start going on about these..!

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated.

Budget wise I would like to keep it under £50 if I can

They will be just for general use, a bit of spoken word editing, occasional music listening, iPlayer & YouTube, notification sounds.

Cheers,

Keith

I'm a bit out of my depth here as I have no experience of these, but at £24 these may be good -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Z...290350&sr=8-1&keywords=active+speakers+for+pc

and they don't seem to have the dreaded 'sleep feature'.

However (and sounding rather like a hifi salesman here) the Kitsound Reunion in my first link is well worth the money, and from my research seems to be one of the best in the £100 range, so at £63 they are a bargain even if out of your price range...

Hi Steve,

I would be interested to know your thoughts once you have got the KitSound speakers and tried them out.

I am avoiding all things Logitech when it comes to speakers.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith, sorry to post on your thread.

Looking for something similar so will keep a watch.

Thank you Steve for some good options.

Shame, have a look at their other speakers. I've used them for years and quality and sound are always good.

I do have a pair of Edifier speakers on my short list.

Just need to take my time and look at some more options before making any decisions one way or the other.

There's a pair of these plugged into the PC next to me right now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Z...K4/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1505322692&sr=8-11

We've had them about 18 months and for the purposes you describe I reckon they would be fine. They don't sound as good as my iMac's built in speakers but if we want listen to music I'll throw it onto the Sonos system.

I am avoiding all things Logitech when it comes to speakers.....

Thanks anyway Jonathan, much appreciated

Last edited:
Depending on what you want the speakers for, but I use my Bose Soundlink mini via Bluetooth for my computer speakers

Friend of mine has a pair of Genelec 8010 monitors (that's monitor speakers, not "VGA monitors") which are internally amplified. They are astonishingly good (he's a recording engineer, so one would expect him to make a good choice).

Expensive though. Depends what you're looking to achieve.

I looked long at the Harman ones but found too many reports of one or other speakers packing in but have to say they look cool. Went with the Edifier Luna speakers after hearing them plus they look unusual which I liked. I'd still look at the cheaper Edifier speakers, they've been in the business for years making great sound.

I have looked at a number of different speakers and some have made it onto my list of possibles with the Edifiers being at the top.

Thanks for the suggestion Neil

Just check to T40's. I have creative T(something or other, they look the same) and they also go to sleep.

It annoyed me to and when I first realised they did it, it did a bit of reasearch to see if it could be disabled. I came across a forum where creative said that all their new speakers had this function to comply with some or other EU regulation. Saving the planet by shutting down when not in use. So you may find all new speakers from well known brands could have the same issue.

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=12873

Confirmation that the T40s do sleep, but also a possible solution
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2417519/prevent-speaker-standby-mode.html

Last edited:
Well this has now taken a different turn.

I have some very good speakers here already, the problem is the Logitech system of turning them off.

So I have decided to strip them down, buy a separate amp and run the speakers through that minus all the Logitech crap

Well this has now taken a different turn.

I have some very good speakers here already, the problem is the Logitech system of turning them off.

So I have decided to strip them down, buy a separate amp and run the speakers through that minus all the Logitech crap

Well it all worked out OK and I am still using my old speakers, minus the Logitec crap.

It is all connected to a little desktop amp - I am going to have to get a small non slip mat to put under it to stop it sliding around.

37332806255_661cef6118.jpg

It is all connected to a little desktop amp - I am going to have to get a small non slip mat to put under it to stop it sliding around.
I use a blob of blutac under mine..
It still seems odd to have an amp half the size of its power supply, but they certainly work well don't they!

Looking for something similar so will keep a watch.

Thank you Steve for some good options.
I would be interested to know your thoughts once you have got the KitSound speakers and tried them out.
Not so much for you Keith but the Kitsound reunion active speakers I linked to earlier sound fantastic and are amazing value for £63. Not heard the Edifers though.

Last edited:
Well things have changed again.

My old speakers with the little amp just wasn't giving me a good enough sound that I was happy with.

So I have now bought a couple of Edifier speakers and an Edifier sub, much much better :)

Although irrelevant now, mine never slept. They were the T40-II though.
Not so irrelevant Neil - I bought yours, and promptly put them in a cupboard and forgot about them until recently (we were renovating the house) so it's good to know they are 'always awake' as I'll be putting them up for sale soon and this could well be a positive..!

Back