Computer upgrade ?

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
Was after I little help, will need to upgrade my computer this year due to the fact my old computer has become very slow dealing with large file sizes associated with photography images, therefore would someone recommend a computer that would be able to work a bit faster as mine is driving me crazy, did think about changing to apple computer system maybe second hand if anyone has info about which models would suit info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have an advent desktop computer it has a AMD Phenom x4 on its front badge bought from currys about 4-5yrs ago running windows vista operating system, I have elements 7 and Photoshop CS4 which I use to edit my raw files, but it seems to takes ages to load new pictures or to edit. Not to sure about budget, best I can get really that will handle my raw files and would be good for another 5-6 yrs.

I have an advent desktop computer it has a AMD Phenom x4 on its front badge bought from currys about 4-5yrs ago running windows vista operating system, I have elements 7 and Photoshop CS4 which I use to edit my raw files, but it seems to takes ages to load new pictures or to edit. Not to sure about budget, best I can get really that will handle my raw files and would be good for another 5-6 yrs.
what do the graphs in task manager do when you use it? i.e. does the processor or memory usage stay high?

I'd stay away from older Macs TBH unless you never intend upgrading software - my late 2008 Macbook is very slow with lightroom 5 and perfect effects 8, even with 8Gb RAM and an SSD as upgrades. I'm looking to replace it soon, likely with something using an i7 quad core and 16Gb RAM, but a recent fast i5 processor would be minimum spec for current software.

When ever i read these types of messages, I cry out "build your own". A dozen hours research on the net, even buy some parts second-hand if budget is tight. If computer shops/makers let on how easy it can be for a half intelignet person (yes, that's us lot, the ones who learn to use cameras/editors) to complete, they would be out of business! Power to cost ratio is substantially greater for build your own.

Iv just ordered this spec as an upgrade so i hope i have it right ,my computer is 7years old so im about ready for an upgrade as files are now quite a bit bigger ,i use CS5 for most of my PP work.
Rob.

Chillblast Fusion Photo OC Lite 1
Zalman Z11 PLUS High Performance Mid Tower Case (with USB 3.0) 1
Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Processor Overclocked to up to 4.3GHz 1
Noctua NH-D14 Ultimate Performance Quiet CPU Cooler 1
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste 1
Asus Z87-A Motherboard - Haswell CPU only 1
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks) 1
Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB Graphics Card 1
120GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive 1
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps 1
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps 1
120GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive 1
Blu-Ray ReWriter 1
24x SATA DVD+/-RW Drive 1
Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU 1
Sound Blaster Audigy FX PCI-E 1
17 in 1 3.5" Internal Card Reader 1
300Mbps 802.11n Wireless PCIe Adaptor (for Wireless networks) 1
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I'm close to the point of ordering a chillblast laptop so that I can do work instead of watching progress bars gradually move.

Rob, I have just come across your post. How have you found the Chillblast computer? I am just about to replace mine and the updated Photo lite one from them looks good - however i am a computer numpty so it is good to have some feedback from a real user. I did consider their laptop instead which is configured for photoshop but only has 1TB of HD space (+ 256MB SSD). I have a 27 inch BenQ monitor so could plug the laptop into that when needed.
Your comments on the computer, and company would be appreciated.

Rob, I have just come across your post. How have you found the Chillblast computer? I am just about to replace mine and the updated Photo lite one from them looks good - however i am a computer numpty so it is good to have some feedback from a real user. I did consider their laptop instead which is configured for photoshop but only has 1TB of HD space (+ 256MB SSD). I have a 27 inch BenQ monitor so could plug the laptop into that when needed.
Your comments on the computer, and company would be appreciated.

I ended up buying a Dell XPS15, currently with 256GB and 1TB SSDs. Nearly 4 years on, it's still a good machine, but 1TB isn't enough storage space, and I'm considering buying a 2TB HDD in place of the 1TB SSD.

When ever i read these types of messages, I cry out "build your own". A dozen hours research on the net, even buy some parts second-hand if budget is tight. If computer shops/makers let on how easy it can be for a half intelignet person (yes, that's us lot, the ones who learn to use cameras/editors) to complete, they would be out of business! Power to cost ratio is substantially greater for build your own.
^^^^^^^
This

was posted for the OP as he does not mention a laptop. Best bang for buck for a desktop machine is a build your own system.
You’re 4 years late though ;)

With RAM and other components being costly now, it's more economical to buy a re-built one (of course choosing your components first).

In around 2 years time, I'll be buying a new computer and it'll be water-cooled. Probably build it myself.

Last edited:
Back