Conformation of ID please

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
What I think i'm looking at is a leucistic,short tailed vole. This is a bit of a grab shot,the first time we saw the little fella. We have a family living a few yards from our front door for a goodly while now,well probable generations of. This guy, I suppose is this year's.as I'm sure we would know him otherwise,but he's a definite resident,so hopefully in time I might catch up with him properly,jees and I hope before someone else does,he stands out a bit!! At first I thought young brown rat,face is similar, shapes not quite there. But, Shaz has seen him much closer no tail to speak of ....anyway over to you

F70F7626 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Oh, very much a grab shot, I wanted to get at least that and look closer at the eyes as suspected not black,but any thoughts on camera settings anything really,gratefully pondered:)
iso 1600 f/5.6 ss 1/500 minimal post in dpp4,

many thanks

Stu

Cannot give you positive ID but hoping this bump will get someone more epeeienced to pass comment as it's been here since Thursday :(

Adam thanks for this, lovely of you mate! I suspect there isn't enough info in the picture for folks to comment ID wise(plus I don't think it's an amazing image and this is a togs forum). To be fair though I thought a wild colour mutation of a native might be of interest to some. It's not something I have ever come across in a wild vole before,(if that's what it is)so thought the little fella might garner some comments. Tis no biggy though i'm chuffed to have him here just a shame I am not able to share that joy,hey ho,onwards and upwards:)

cheers kiddo

Stu

Hi,with no distinguished colour showing on top of the head area, grey brown field vole and the bank vole is a redy brown its a bit difficult, also the tails can be a giveaway ,I think the bank vole as a tail half its body and the field not so long, maybe some one else could go add some info

Limited view for any positive ID but it could well be a short-tailed vole, the fact that you have traditionally had a family in that location must be a good pointer. The face and 'snout' look vole-like but the following information will help you to assess it http://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/animal-facts/field-vole

Roger, thanks for this,hopefully i'll be able to catch up with him again and provide a bit more info,the short tail is definitely the most noticeable identification feature at this time. Oh Roger,been watching your progress a good long while mate,another guy whom has been quietly inspiring me. We are not so far away from you kiddo a bit north ,keep pushing kiddo.

Hi Den thanks for the time ,also. I think the colour is all wrong anyway mate,he's so much paler than the others we see here. when he's caught by sunlight almost appearing white,he's not but so He 's much paler than the others ,tis very noticeable My ID is very much based on the tail,I don't know of another native rodent that fits..... the short tailed shrew's face would be/is so different to this one

many thanks both

Stu .

With that comment, combined with his red eyes, might that suggest an albino variant of the above?

Yes exactly Gavin,leucistic being my best guess. Leucism occurs in many animals and birds,blond mandarin or carolina(wood luck) might be examples that some might be familiar with. The individual displays some pigment unlike an albino,but keeps the red eye colour. We see it more I guess in captivity where lines get inbred,not always through choice and so these recessive type genes get expressed visually more frequently,in some cases they are deliberately bred for. The little guy hasn't been seen this last week,so I haven't had a chance yet to try for something better for you guys unfortunately . I hope he's still here he must stick out like a sore thumb to a predator.

thanks for the reply mate

Stu

Back