Constellation Cetus

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Hi everybody, merry Christmas to you all :)

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

Bought my wife a gift which is a named star. It's in the constellation Cetus, galaxy NGC144 PGC1917.

Can we see that from the UK? I can't seem to determine whether we can or no, it appears to be too far south for us to see it.

Can one of you kind people advise?

Many thanks indeed.

Named star? NGC144 is a spiral galaxy.

It's technically visible from the UK, but actually seeing it would be challenging. It's 22° south of the celestial equator, so from the southern UK it never rises more than 16° above the horizon. The best time to see it is late evening in the autumn and early evening in the winter - for example it reaches its highest altitude today at around 6.30pm. But you'll need dark skies and a big telescope, probably 10" diameter or more.

Many thanks indeed Stuart.

It's a star in that galaxy.

Suffice to say, it's going back for a refund!

Of all the zillions of stars out there, they could have selected a better option.

Do you know which star in that galaxy? :banana:
PGC1917 is just a different classification number for that galaxy.
Seriously, even if you managed to see the galaxy (magnitude 13.7 and tiny according to SkyMap Pro) even the HST won't show you the star. Given the number of stars in your average galaxy and the number of galaxies in the known universe, do you not think selling stars is a bit of a con?

.... do you not think selling stars is a bit of a con?
I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but yeah. You might get a nice certificate, but the name won't be recognised by the IAU and has no official standing.

Plus, the galaxy is over 350 million light years away, and there's no way any individual stars can be seen at that distance.

I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but yeah. You might get a nice certificate, but the name won't be recognised by the IAU and has no official standing.

Plus, the galaxy is over 350 million light years away, and there's no way any individual stars can be seen at that distance.

what about if using a TC-20E lll :D

do you not think selling stars is a bit of a con?
You're probably right but this was a gift for a loved one. You don't put a price on love.

I was only asking for some help, not judgement.

You're probably right but this was a gift for a loved one. You don't put a price on love.

I was only asking for some help, not judgement.

Wasn't intended as judgemental. I know you had the best Intentions. Maybe as an astronomer I look at these things a bit differently. Sorry and have a very happy Christmas.

Back